Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

Tap out spots

I didn't realize the number of tap out spots was a heated issue. We use two, one on each side of the court, but we never considered the 'you have to tap at the furthest one' addition to the rules.

It's okay.  [hardcourtbikepolo]'s just having a hissy fit about it.  He's all about having the game be as HARD as possible i.e. his didick.  Personally, I'm all about hard dicks.  Just not sure that the court (b. polo court) is the place for 'em.
But that's me.

::

Yeah, we use two and DC and its never been an issue.
When in NY, it was only an issue for me once. The first time I put my foot down, I went to the wrong side. After doing it once, it was fine to have to cross the court. Home court should decide what rules they play by. Thats no problem for me. Being able to adapt to court size, surface, and wall type (chain link fence? curved boards? just brick wall?) is as much a part of the game as being able to figure out how to shoot properly.
One thing I didn't like about The Pit was that one side has a severe defensive advantage. I think this is more of an issue than how many tap out spots they have there.

slapdick bike polo - washington dc

two tap outs, one tap out....It really is a non issue.  Some of these non issues get so much debate that it's embarassing to be a hardcourt polo player.

i think that this is one of the things to get right though ange, a symmetrical court makes so much more sense.  it leads to less clogging of the play and is a rule that doesn't advantage or disadvantage right- or left-handed players or one particular side of the court.  if a player is right-handed and running up left side of the court to tap-out, they has a serious advantage in picking up a pass on their stronger shooting inside.  we should allow for that advantage in all situations, rather restrict it to a particular-handed play going the right way.
anyway, i get your point, some of it seems trvial.  but i think at this stage if people feel like they want to discuss something i'm all for letter them roll with it.  i can't imagine how talking about something is a bad thing.  sure, there's way more important stuff, but the polo-istas seem to have a lot of time on their hands.

I can't think of any other sports where the court is not symmetrical.  2 tap out spots just make sense... 

And bells, soemone mentioned bells somewhere.  I really like that idea.  that would make it much easier to keep things honest.

we're going to start using bells.  then the crowd knows what's going on.  then your team knows when you're back in.  then everyone knows when you missed the tap-out.

so, one question i wonder about with the tap out rule is that it seems to be a bit of an advantage to the team that is lined up with the tap out on their right. I say this because the tap rule tends to benifit the team on offense more then defense. If a defensive player has to tap out his team is playing two on three but if a team is playing offense and an offense of player has to tap out, his team either would turn possesion over to the other team or just wait till his player comes back in. Now, why does this matter because it is an advantage to the team that has to tap out on the side that is closer to the right instead of reaching over the bike, now most of us are right handed so it does matter a bit. I think it makes a differences for how quickly a player gets back in the play.
That being said, i really don't care and think that we should come to a consensus on this and move forward.

i liked it in milwaukee today where there were 16 tap out points. it was like constant play and really fluid. although nobody was effectively punished for making a dab, but that should be reserved for off the court anyways. 

Right, so is _anyone_ still doing 360's?

In other news, what size court is everyone playing on? (I'll have to measure ours but it's bloody huge)  There's a bunch of alternate court photos in the pool, but they each have their own weaknesses.  Everyone here seems to prefer this (I prefer the courts on Grandview personally... ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crushbeat/2100176482/in/pool-melbournebikepolo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petermason/2523985262/in/pool-melbournebikepolo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crushbeat/2100175048/in/pool-melbournebikepolo

--

urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

in NJ tapping out is pretty lax but that is due to the skill level of many of the players,  tapping out really only applys if the ball remains on the same side, if the ball is cleared to the other side, no one taps out because you have to cross the center line anyway. 

Metal mixing bowls or old pots from the thrift store make good tap out bells.

this might sound crazy, but we do a tap at center court. sometimes it's an advantage, but most of the action is happening on the ends of the court, and we have a really big court.

The one rule we try to enforce concerning a tap-out is that when you tap back in, you can't be the next person to touch the ball (i.e your teammate can't pass directly to you once you just tapped in). The prevents mid-court breakaways from someone who has technically just been penalized.

{}------- lexington -------{}

once youve tapped in you in. otherwise just make the rule that of your dap then you can be the next one to touch the ball 

seattle, victoria and portland still 360

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

Be ready to tap at the North American Champs.

chicagobikepolo.com

hi ben!

oddly enough we did have tap out points for le tour de polo II.  1 frying pan on each court. eh.

Bicycle/cykel/自行車/das Fahrrad/polkupyörä/bicicletta/bicicleta/reiðhjól/fiets/يَرْكَبُ درّاجة هوائ

Yeah, I saw the pictures. Awesome.

chicagobikepolo.com

Cavemen 

3...2...1...GO!

I think that we're switching to tap out spots, 2 of them on either side of mid court. We tried it last week and I think that over the next few weeks it will become standard. 360 gets in the way too often and is too hard to police.

If we play 2 on 2 (which still happens way too often here) we to 360s since the left player ist too long alone which seems somewhat unfair, but when we get to play 3 on 3 (or more) the player whot had his foot down has to go around his own goal. This seems fair to us, because this way the offense is getting harder, but defense gets not too weak, since the player is in a goalie position.

Having to just circle your own goal would lead to intentional foot-downs as part of a defensive strategy.

At least it would in the states, where everyone is a sneak.

Chicago Bike Polo 2003-2008

St Louis Bike Polo 2008-now

Retired.

i think 360s for two on two makes sense, especially on a big court.

I don't qute see that. What makes you put put down your foot, instead of just riding to the goal?

(Oh I probably did not mention that we play w/o bounds)

www.bike-polo-leipzig.blogspot.com