Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

shoes

for those of you not clipped in, do you have polo specific shoes that you like to wear when you play?

Anything with a bit of cushion - i.e., not chucks or vans.

-Brett

x2
I'm looking forward to my dvs mids with padding around the ankles. P.S. chrome shoes have like no padding in their mids.

I'm using converse weapons at the moment. They are nice and high and have a fair amount of padding. I wouldn't go with a fabric shoe, especially after I ripped trough a fellow players' chrome shoes the other day.

extremely dissappointed with my DZRs. after one week of euphoria, they are falling apart.

going to try and warranty. cuz this is garbage.

edit: I realize this is actually NOT the info you were looking for.
I prefer a lightish hiking shoe. something with a stiff sole, good grip but not super heavy.

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

Pumps! cuz dey flyyyy!

• 5051622617_831cddb702_b.jpg

"wear a face mask or duck" - Tall George
stick 2 da code, stop snitchin'
http://www.scarylarrykbp.org/
http://www.fixcraft.net/
http://321polo.net/

x2

I've switched to clipless but my Orchid Wiz (bmx shoes) were awesome. Grippy sole. Perfect amount of flex. Padded toungue and good looks.

vans

Rik
Berlin Bike Polo 2010
London Bike Polo 2008 - 2010

i'm liking my duffs 4130 bmx shoes. mid-high top, padded tongue and a grippy sole. sold thru qbp for all you shop kids

i am looking for clipless SPD shoes, men's size 5.
know of any discount shops online where i can find em less than $90? or am i just gonna have to save some coin and splurge on some decent kicks?

661 or Chrome? which should i get?

give blood. play polo.

Any more suggestions for us not going clipless? My buds here took me aside and suggested I loose the clipless before I lose my life, so I'm back to BMX flats and happier for it. I wear Vans 'cos they are super comfy and stick to the pedals, but they do flex all over the place and it might be causing the weird nerve pain between my metatarsals. A few of you I notice are wearing Chrome shoes. I like the idea of a stiffer sole, anyone recommending these or anything else?

2 words - pedal strike
clipless are narrower than platforms.
I used platforms once in 20 years, the first time I tried hardcourt. Crashed too many times to count due to pedal strikes.
Put my clipless back on and have never had the same issue since.
Note that I have been riding clipless for 20 years so it's all I know, which may not be any comfort for those just starting out.
yeah I'm older.......but still rocking polo, right Jawn.
and I'm wearing some "Time" down hill type shoes with meta tarsel and inner ankle protectors, love em.

....... __o
........\<,\
.... ( )/( ) \o

I don't have much problem with pedal strike, I use 165 cranks and have a high bottom bracket, and maybe I just don't lean enough. I've only ridden clipless, on and off, for a couple of years (but ridden bikes for over 35 - you want to form a seniors team?). I loved them for the road, a huge leap forward from cage and strap, but I couldn't quite get the tension balance right - loose enough to unclip fast in polo, nor tight enough to stay in them when powering on (or hopping around). Maybe it is an age thing, I don't have the reaction time my younger polo buddies have here. Maybe its an SPD thing, I wonder if most people in love with clipless are using Time or Crank Bros. What's in you shoes that form the "meta tarsel protector"?

they are shimano clipless, not the road style.
The meta-tarsel protector is a hinged plastic cover that velcroes shut over the laces, make sense?
Always looking to form an old folks team =)

....... __o
........\<,\
.... ( )/( ) \o

I love my Time ATACs and will probably never use another clip-less system again other than them

While I do love clipless, and would suggest Time over Shimano I would suggest some of the clipless shoes such as the 661 filter for you to use with flat pedals too. They have a stiff sole. Skate shoe design and good traction on the bottom to use with a solid pair of bmx Pedals. 5.10 has a similar shoe that I just got to use clipless but they make a model without the removable section on the bottom. Same general idea though, skate shoe style, which adds protection and a stiff sole that's good for power.

x2. the filters are good as you can leave the soles alone, still have a stiff but cushy shoe. they are a little bulky, but give them a few weeks to break in and they are fantastic shoes clipless or not.. they should be selling around 60-80 dollars still.

i've seen some people at the euros using self-made clipless shoes. i think they glued the spd-sole from old clipless shoes into normal shoes. i'm thinking about making some of these for myself, but i don't know how to do it exactly. and i don't know if you need certain shoes, with a very thick sole or something, so you don't walk on the cleats. does anyone of you have any experiences with selfmade clipless shoes?

phlpp wrote:

i've seen some people at the euros using self-made clipless shoes. i think they glued the spd-sole from old clipless shoes into normal shoes. i'm thinking about making some of these for myself, but i don't know how to do it exactly. and i don't know if you need certain shoes, with a very thick sole or something, so you don't walk on the cleats. does anyone of you have any experiences with selfmade clipless shoes?

that's new to me. sounds interesting, though.

I made a pair of those a few years ago, I found getting the SPD soles to fit/stick inside the newer shoes wasn't ideal. Maybe want to get a larger pair of SPDS than you need then trim off the excess using the insole from the shoes you are modifying as a template. Info from the London Fixed Gear forum here:

Old cycling shoes:
cut away the leather, then chuck soft insole and separate the hard plastic sole from the rubber grip.
Old skate shoes:
remove insole, cut through rubber grip a hole big enough to facilitate clipping/unclipping, get some serious epoxy resin, glue surfaces(esp toe area), fit hard cycle sole into skate shoe, let dry, fit cleats, fit soft skate insole, hey presto.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3261/shoekr3.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/24298840_a4b8876b35.jpg?v=0

More In depth tutorial from London forum here: http://www.lfgss.com/thread10440.html

I did platforms for a long time, the kind that would eat a pair of soft tennis shoes in no time.

The best shoes I found were old fancy business work shoes. The soles are hard and stiff, and stood up against the spikiest platforms for several months. Then, off to Good Will to get another pair for $5.