Machine Politics vs L'Équipe, August 2010. Photo by Steph Simcox
Next step for NA Hardcourt: Choosing club reps and Electing Regional reps
In mid-November we established an interim body, first for the purpose of conducting a proper bid process for the NAHBPC 2010 and second, to establish a legitimate electorate for our organizing body.
We have chosen Madison as our host city for the NAHBPC 2010.
Now, thanks to everyone involved, we're excited to announce the next step: by mid-January, North American Hardcourt will be an elected, functioning, 21-member organizing body, with three reps for each of the seven regions.
This election will result in one representative per club and three representatives per region.
The election of club/city representatives will be the responsibility of each club. Once club reps are chosen and reported on their club page, we will hold elections for regional representation. These regional representatives will comprise the North American Hardcourt organizing body.
- January 10th, 2010: Deadline for determining your club reps
- Discuss, arm wrestle, draw straws, form an internal organizing body – whatever process you agree to use, but this will be the responsibility of each club. Once each club has selected your representative you’ll go into your club page and enter that player’s online name into the field that says “club rep.” That’s it.
- One interim rep in each region will be in charge of keeping track of each club's progress. Nearing the deadline, the interim rep will send you a reminder if your club has not yet declared a representative.
- If no club representative is declared by the deadline, no one from your city will be eligible to be a regional representative this time around.
- EDIT: January 10th, 2010: Deadline for nominating candidates for regional reps
- Anyone can nominate themselves for regional rep (you don't need to be a club rep) by leaving a comment on a thread dedicated to this purpose in each region.
- January 10th-15th: Vote on regional reps
Club reps from each of the seven regions will elect three regional representatives from
amongst themselvesa list of candidates on the regional threads mentioned above.
- Each region’s vote will be overseen by the sitting chair with the exception of the vote in the chair’s region, which will be overseen by another officer or volunteer from the current body.
- Club reps will:
- Elect regional representatives.
- Participate in conversations pertaining to their region. For example, club representatives would facilitate local discussion around and then participate in a vote to select the host city for the ESPI.
- Regional reps will:
- vote in the North American Hardcourt Championship bid process.
- participate in various subcommittes of NA Hardcourt (rules, sponsorship, tournaments,
- facilitate regional discussions and gather input on issues related ot the above committees.
- will remain the club rep.
- Club and regional reps will:
- be invested and present in all relevant business brought before you. This means:
- communicating necessary information, participating in and/or leading discussions, overseeing and/or participating in a vote, etc.
- participate in every vote, even if it’s to simply to “abstain.”
- be held publically accountable for their votes and the reasons behind them.
- respect their constituents right to know how their representative voted and whether they were present.
- provide minutes from every meeting, be it region-specific or continental.
- term periods will be one year starting January 15th 2010, ending January 15th 2011.
- there are no limits on re-election.
- a club whose representative also functions as a regional rep may feel it needs a separate club rep to properly attend to local business. In that case, that club would be free to elect a new representative. The original rep would then become exclusively a regional representative.
- should a club representative post become vacant for any reason, the club will fill that position promptly in a manner of their choosing.
- should a regional post become vacant for any reason, the local club will proceed as stated above. Then, after the election of the new club representative, the two remaining regional reps will then oversee an election among the remaining club reps to elect a third regional representative.
- Representatives elected to fill a vacated post will serve the remainder of the term until the next election cycle.
What you might do
- Figure out your club rep
- Join your regional group, where club reps will elect regional reps and where there are conversations about regional tournaments, friendlies, etc.
Alright. I’m sure we’re going to see plenty of questions in this thread, but please also feel free to contact any of the interim reps (listed above) assigned to your region with questions as well.
Thanks to everyone for being patient and for getting involved.