Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

DIY V-Brake Adapter (for center mount frames)

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Aron and I hail from the Everett, WA (USA) Polo club. A few of my fellow polo friends told me I should post my brake set-up here so I finally got around to taking some photos.

Here is my bike
Photobucket
I am left handed/ambidextrous so I have two levers for the one rear brake.
Photobucket
I couldn't find a brake that would engage strong enough and I knew that v-brakes worked amazing. Unfortunately the bike I had decided to use only had a single hole for a center mount brake. So, I went in my back yard where there was an old (wal-mart) NEXT full suspension bike. I cut the big metal fork stabilizer/brake mount off the front fork. I then put a slot in each side just above each brake stud. To make the brakes line up with the rim I made a tab with two holes in it to space the whole plate down farther. Then I ran a hose clamp through each slot, around the seat stays, and cinched them up tight. With both levers dialed in this thing grabs hard. If I pull the lever half way I can lock up the rear wheel no problem and skid right into goalie position.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hopefully this is useful to some of you. I know they used to sell a brake adapter but they are scarce now and almost impossible to find.

thanks for looking.

-Aron

I dig the 2 to 1 lever setup, but I cringe on a the clip-on brake mount mod.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

Not sure why you "cringe" at it. It's been tested more than once by myself and it has not failed once. Not to mention it is a copy of an item that used to be sold as a production piece. Just Google V Brake Adapter Plate and you will see what I am talking about.

thanks for your input :)

-Aron

It's not identical to a brake plate. For one, the brake plate is one piece. A lateral strike or a collision would/could move this plate in a way a brake plate wouldn't. I cringe for two reasons, (1) too many moving parts, and (2) the cantilever hanger that sticks out is the kind of thing that could cut someone in a wreck.

I like the brake plates. I think I'd like this bike hack with two slight mods:

1) Cut off the hanger and grind the edge down smooth.
2) Braze on the connector piece so it can't move laterally.

i like that the hanger provides the possibility of canti brakes.

Are you drunk?

Urban Editor wrote:

It's not identical to a brake plate. For one, the brake plate is one piece. A lateral strike or a collision would/could move this plate in a way a brake plate wouldn't.

can you explain this further? the v brake plate is 1 piece that's clamped onto the frame with hose clamps. i don't see a significant structural difference between that and this. certainly no more or fewer moving parts.

any part on a bike is susceptible to collisions, but this mounting system can't be any more delicate than the v brake arms themselves.

agreed that it wouldn't be a bad idea to cut off and file down the extraneous canti mount.

sure, a real braze-on job would be better, but from a reliable framebuilder it'd be more than the entire frame is worth. as far as i can tell this is a great hack that repurposes an old piece of junk to make another old piece of junk (no offense intended) function pretty damn well as a polo bike.

Agreeing with everything here. He's hose clamped down on two seperate pieces locking it in place should any lateral collision take place with the center connection merely acting as a point that keeps it from sliding up and down the frame stay. Get down off that high horse.

What stops the piece from rotating? The piece that connects the plate has two hinge points, and both hose clamps can move up and down on the seat stays.

Under nominal use, I'm sure the brake itself works fine. Polo isn't so nominal, IMO. No high horse, just looking at the design and offering feedback.

Have you ever hose clamped shit before? Cuz you can tighten the bejesus out of those things to the point that it will dig into the paint. Ideal? No. Nominal? Certainly not. For a fresh face starting out, not wanting to spring for a frame builder to add canti posts, and maybe not drop 25 bucks for a brake plate, let it be. There are bigger issues to worry about.

VA Sprinks wrote:

Have you ever hose clamped shit before? Cuz you can tighten the bejesus out of those things to the point that it will dig into the paint. Ideal? No. Nominal? Certainly not. For a fresh face starting out, not wanting to spring for a frame builder to add canti posts, and maybe not drop 25 bucks for a brake plate, let it be. There are bigger issues to worry about.

simple solution. drill a second hole in the top of the mount and in the bracket and add another small bolt. then it doesn't have two pivot points. i mean my rack has two clamps on it on my commuter and they never slide. you know.

pretty much identical to this: http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/489051/V-Brake_Plate.html
Also, rad to see the DIY still alive.

I thought dans stopped selling those??? Ah yeah. You just made my day sprinks!

"rubber side down boys"

I've been looking for V brake plates! We got a couple dudes not sure about welding on canti studs. Now I have a purpose for huffy mountain!

"rubber side down boys"

^ That's what I'm talking about! Give those crappy mountain bikes purpose. I was at a shop the other day that was donating all their "crappy" bikes (magnas, huffy, so on..) and all I could think about was all the adapter plates I could make.

-Aron

my friend has a bike that really can't get a decent brake on. this might be ther perfect solution. going to try this asap!

fuck yeah! keep bike polo cheap, i love it.

I zip tied my gear cluster to my spokes to have a fixed gear once.

^That is insane! But glad someone tried it!

-Aron

Well the minibike is now getting Vbrakes, good lookin out

Get rad

Four months later and that plate is still holding up. Damn you make Everett proud, janky for life!

I LOVE DIY!

Przemek from Apollo came up with this: works with any road/x/literally any frame.

• szem.jpg

i just put one on that bike for my friend and i'ts working like a dream. my boss was talking so much shit when i told him what i was doing, and afterwards he was impressed. thanks for this.

^You're welcome. The only problems I have had so far were a brake cable snapping, I blow through tires because I skid too much, and I eat through brake pads.

All of that is pretty normal though other than the cable snapping.

@Stan how did your friend make that? I like how it has "anti-rotational" set screws on either side.

-Aron