Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

LA Bike Polo cover story

A cover story about LA Bike
Polo in New Angeles magazine. Check out how cool this online magazine
browsing thing is -- you can scroll through the magazine and zoom in
and out.

They fucked up a lot of "facts" in the story, and it's kind of a mess, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. Tha Hammer made the cover.

http://issuu.com/newangelesmonthly/docs/binder1?mode=embed&documentId=080804175045-467f3659b386417b81e7df286b6819e6&layout=grey

cool. interesting comments on women playing.

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

i think it is a bit wrong though, in madison we have more women who play then men and it would be tough to catagorize madison as less aggressive then other cities, seeing that we have a reputation as both aggressive and physical teams. 

Yeah for real! Jill let me know it was okay to make some contact. She's no joke man, awesome player, and will play you physically too!

slapdick bike polo - washington dc

slapdick bike polo - washington dc

holy crap. you just made my day. thanks dude!

I agree...we have really good agressive female players in NYC

Any publicy is good publicity... goot for LA. 

----------------------------------

Moooooo!

Moooooo!

I have a beef with that part of the article, actually.  My "self-selective" comment didn't refer to the gender of our players at all, and I'm annoyed that it was placed out of context and in such negative way.  The interviewer asked if many fights broke out on the field due to roughness on the court.  I explained that the makeup of the polo teams is "self selective" in that anybody coming into polo could expect to get knocked off their bike every once in while, so you have to be in to that, and that since everybody at our games gets introduced to polo by a friend that plays, there's a sense of comradery that stifles, or at least diffuses, most conflicts on the field -- at least one person at the game can vouch for any other player on the field.

The 213/Virgil LA Bike Polo game (not 323; they even got the area code wrong in the article) has always had female players.  The 213/Virgil game was co-founded by a female polo player, so it pisses me off even more to think that any woman might be discouraged from playing polo with us by reading that article.  I'm sorry for the mistake, and I'm sorry that mention of her was left out of the article; I'm taking it up with the editor.

I am happy that they interviewed us at all, though, and the photos were pretty good.

-mike

Yeah, it was a bummer about the way the the whole gender thing came across.

MALICE for the people.

fuckin.... muckrakers.

Its funny how they made everyone so tuff lookin… there are some shots of me on the bottom of page 26, yay I <3 pictures of me! haha

who's the dude coming to London? Has he been in touch with us?

Yorgo
LONDON: http://bricklanebikepolo.wordpress.com/
PARIS: http://panambikepolo.blogspot.com/

Yorgo

that would be the proffesor.
Matt Vidal
stand up guy

WestSidePolo

I'm the dude. I've been in touch with Roxy. I'll be there sometime in mid-september and I will make it to the first Sunday game possible.

Le car: what's your name? I'm matt (as tha hammer said)

MALICE for the people.

wow, another poorly researched article that makes it sound like someone other than the originators of the sport have somehow invented it, in california no less. good press, but where are the origins of the hard-court game in the pacific north-west where they have been playing since 1995? and what is up with the focus on gender? all over there are women excelling at bike polo and the writer treats it as if it is some sort of male-dominated chest-thump-a-thon. if you ask me, two of the best players i have ever played both with and against are women, and i wish they'd write about that instead.

I gave him the full history. I gave props to the pacific Nothwest, and the Midwest, and the East Coast. Don't diss California.

As others have mentioned, the reporter went off into his own world on the gender thing. I told him all about all of the women I have played with and seen play.

MALICE for the people.

pieter: i noticed that you didn't make it into any of the pictures in the article either. sorry about that.

MALICE for the people.

In my experience, the average journalists almost always get it wrong. When ever I read an article about something I'm familiar with in a newspaper or magazine not specifically familiar with the subject it's almost always wrong in some aspect. Some times in a minor error, sometimes it's a major error.

It really makes me question any article I read about something I'm NOT familiar with.

Moooooo!

Moooooo!

yay, the publicity is great...and the story is the opposite

WestSidePolo

Vidal - Let me give you a pre-emptive welcome to London. Sunday games are ok but the weekday games is where it's at! Do you know whereabouts you'll be staying? Hopefully by the end of summer we'll have a league up and running. East, South and North have some good players and decent, if small, courts all around.

Oh, and nice article as well!

Mike,
London, UK.

welcome to London indeed. My name is Yorgo by the way.

Yorgo
LONDON: http://bricklanebikepolo.wordpress.com/
PARIS: http://panambikepolo.blogspot.com/

Yorgo

word. i'm already missing LA bike polo but I can't wait for London Bike Polo. I'll be in contact when i get over there in mid sept.

MALICE for the people.