Jump to Navigation
LOBP is now in archive mode... read more at leagueofbikepolo.com/goodbye.

World Hardcourt Bike Polo Championships...2013!

So as the dust settles here in Seattle ,and the call outs to Cities for next years worlds fade out into the woods of magnuson park and interesting question arises. Are we able to plan these damn things out any farther ahead than one year? I'm impressed by the CMWC planning groups in their ability to get the ball rolling 2 years ahead of time and I feel that this would be very beneficial after seeing the stress and amount of work needed to plan something of this size. What are peoples thoughts? Europe, Geneva in particular, had a lot of finger pointing for worlds next year and following the trend it would be another US city the year after that. If we're going to continue to jump the atlantic for a few more years (with all due respect to australia and japan If you guys feel you can do it I will hop the pacific too) It seems to make sense to have some rough ideas out there.

Nanaimo 2013! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't sinning, Jesus died for nothing.

not to hijack your thread Mike, but has anyone stepped up to host the 2012 NA's yet?

hijack away, I think that those conversations should have been happening in calagary at the very least. Seeing Seattle struggle (though honestly we did a hell of a job) to get worlds together in less than a year makes me wonder when we can start to give cities more time.

Where will the 2012 worlds be?

It should be fun...RIGHT?

Only rumors as of right now. Kind of my point though. I know I'd like to have some time to save and scrape some cash together. Really I'd like two years to scrape if I have to.

Who makes the decision of where the worlds will be in 2012? What's the world governing body for hard-court?

big x2 here!

how dumb of "some" of us to semi-force/pressure GENEVA into to having it...f'n ridiculous... did they ever say they wanted them before they did so well? or do some of you long just to go and see a place where they can house their whole population underground?... i thought there was a bidding process..

and who does run world hardcourt bike polo?.. pipe up someone

slayers are only slayers if the slay out of town...

Since there's no global governing body, last year NAH wrote a bunch of polo organizers in europe, japan, australia, essentially asking permission to run the WHBPC bid process, which is how it ended up happening. Bid process was run through LOBP, and Seattle was the only bid.

I think there's wide-spread expectation that WHBPC will be in europe next year, and there's no european governing body that could manage the bid process, although some stuff is coming together. Ideally we'll know two years ahead of time. But not very many organizers are ready to commit that far down the line....

as always kev, on point... thank you

Better to plan with 2 years then one, I know with NA's a bit more time would have been nice. For cities that are interested in planing NA's or Worlds don't be deterred when you here that they are a lot of work to organize. There are lots of people out there whiling to help out, believe it or not a lot can be done from a distance!

I need a sugar momma so I can work less and play polo more!!

While I feel like there is some pressure on geneva I would expect that all reasonable people would understand if they wouldn't be able to make it happen. Talking to Mario and Clement they expressed some concerns over court space which is priority number one and has to be respected when it comes to this kind of endeavor. Honestly though, I might go chill in Geneva just to stay in the bunkers.

they hosted last years European Champs, (and did a really fine job), they want to host next years Worlds (that is for sure)
they will put a proper bid for it, as they did last year, so if for any reason they can not find space or they have any other problem, they will say it, they are not stupid.

what we should be doing is asking and encouraging other communities to put a bid too, and setting up a dead line for it, and a voting process

also, choosing now the host for 2013, is a really good idea, so we could run the 2 votation simultaneously

I spoke to Japan and Australia and they think they can not commit in the next few years (4 or 5) for lack of space and organization respectively

Mexico could be interested, tho, so we can assume that for the next 3-4 years we will be alternating between Americas and Europa.

Rik
Zaragoza Bike Polo 2015
Berlin Bike Polo 2010 - 2015
London Bike Polo 2008 - 2010

Yes, probably next 3 - 5 years we don't organize the "World" in Japan, I think.
You can assume that for the next 3-4 years we will be alternating between "North" Americas and Europa.

Toronto, East Van, Calgary, etc, etc.

I think that some cities in Canada has potential which can hold the WHBPC.

Riki@Tokyo Hardcourt Bike Polo
tokyobikepolo.blogspot.com / www.flickr.com/rikitko / twitter: RikiTokyo

I think that some cities in Canada has potential which can hold the WHBPC.

WHBPC 2013 New Brighton Park!!!

No way. Queen Elizabeth park.

Matt Messenger
"Messmann"
bikepologuru.com
seattlebikepolo
since 1998

I don't think Calgary will be hosting worlds anytime soon, after hearing and seeing how many people where not able or just not interested in crossing board to Canada. Although I would rather host worlds then the NA's because worlds is guaranteed to fill up!

I need a sugar momma so I can work less and play polo more!!

and... When is the day of dead line?

We wanna talk about this.

Riki@Tokyo Hardcourt Bike Polo
tokyobikepolo.blogspot.com / www.flickr.com/rikitko / twitter: RikiTokyo

Ignoring our lack of experience in hosting large tournaments and our position in world rankings, the main problem with Australia hosting will be the cost of flying down here.

The last 2 world championships have had issues with people not being able to afford to fly from NA to Europe/Europe to NA. Neither region was able to fill their quota of team places when they needed to fly across the world. Ticket prices to Australia will be so much more.

Airline sponsorship?

Really good points Rik. It does make it easier to plan for these things if we have that general schedule in mind. While I'm sure many people look forward to the time that Worlds can occupy a venue on any continenet, right now it seems that North America and Europe are the two places where this will happen for the easy future. Would the process for planning be the same? Is the Euro hardcourt group available to take bids? Are there any north american cities that as of right now think they can host worlds in two years? This is a request made without pressure, but seeing the people who really organized worlds within seattle deal with the stress and work of this endeavor I can see that all the time we can manage would be helpful to create an amazing event.

JAPAN 2013 hopefully I can afford to fly out there by then.

x2 That would great

2014 maybe, 2013 is in the states, damnit!

host it portland. cascadia 4lyfe.

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

2012 Worlds in Baltimore. Count it.

Has anyone else thought about having Worlds every second year?

Yay! another good topic!!

Worlds every second year, and NA's/Euro/Aussie/etc championships alternating on the years in between.....

Jamaica 2014!

this thread is gonna be a hot 1..

what about the rumor of other leagues forming with different software's? confirm or deny..

4 week Polo Tournie on a cruise ship. We can have all the qualifiers and the wildcard and the World finals as we pick people up and drop em off Just saying

"So this is how it ends"MACHINE

Clement talking here with his brother phone and lobp account:

Rik is right about geneva, here is a pre bid:
Geneva want to do it, we havé expérience and a lot of facilites for free from the city hall.
Dates: late august 2012
Location: tryin to find a place right now, thats why we are silent. If we don't find any, we gonna bid onsame location as euro 2011, but with bigger courts ( if we can fill a water drain with ciment). Making the touney on court small as euro 2011 is impossible.
On this location:
Courts : 3 courts, 18x36m
Teams: 48, no wildcard or probably in another city near Geneva during the week before.
Housing: bunker, private housing.

Pro: beautiful city, great lake, good courts, lot of free things from city hall, experience from 2011. Good forts
Cons: not sure to find a location. Make courts bigger than euro 2011 on the same location have some issue, less space for crowd, work on ground. Expensive country and flight tickets for this dates probably expensives.

P.s
All this is sketchy but you get a major informations in it. We don want wildcard or really more than 48 or 64 teams if we find another location, because we don't gonna have more than 3 or 4 courts. Also that's worlds champs, so no need to be really open, something like 20 teAms from euro, 20 from na and 8 for Asia and aussies looks reasonable. According to the fact that na trams gonna probably be more around 15 teams showing up, so all this Is just perspectives...

Is august an expensive time to fly to europe? What about later in the year? worlds should be one of the last things on the schedule...

It should be one of the last things on the schedule but it also determines the schedule. If a city feels they can host it then there has to be some considerations made for things like NA's and euros to happen before worlds. Another good reason to have more than a year to plan.

2013: south america?

argentina!!!

at the end of this month we'll celebrate the first latin american tourney at chile

c'mon you lazy gringos: go down!

El Progreso BSAS Bike Polo invita!!!

I would love to play polo in Argentina!!

The end of this month, no way. 2013, I could put on the calendar.

so c´mon!

on 2013 come down and play some bike polo!!!

it was good for this crazy canuck:

• rory chiqui.jpg

has this been resolve yet?

no takers, for 2013 in USA-Canada??

Rik
Zaragoza Bike Polo 2015
Berlin Bike Polo 2010 - 2015
London Bike Polo 2008 - 2010

Hi Folks,

Maybe it seems strange and unexpected, how about Kaohsiung, Taiwan WHBPC 2013 or 2014?
Taiwan is in the middle of Europe and America. We've a formal association, and local city government will stand by our side.
We've hosted several tournaments in Taiwan, and will host the Asian Takao Cup HBPC 2011 soon.

How about that ?

• TakaoCup_En.jpg

looking up ticket prices....

looking for a second job.

Taiwan 2013!

justmekicking wrote:

Hi Folks,

Maybe it seems strange and unexpected, how about Kaohsiung, Taiwan WHBPC 2013 or 2014?
Taiwan is in the middle of Europe and America. We've a formal association, and local city government will stand by our side.
We've hosted several tournaments in Taiwan, and will host the Asian Takao Cup HBPC 2011 soon.

How about that ?

do it! I'll pay whatever it takes!

321polo.net

I've just checked the weather, pheeew, make it happen between november and march.

The Bisons;

Yes! snake bile shots before games.

Hi Pete, Maxxx and Robo,

Thanks ! I love to explain more about our sincerity. The most cheapest way will be flight to TPE and take a High Speed Rail to Kaohsiung. And here're our present, if WHBPC 2013 or 14 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan...

1) We have city government's support. The quantity of courts will be unlimited. Other supply also.

2) The weather will be just fine in Fall and Winter. So the date can be set on November or December for calling the perfect ending of the year.

3) Free foods in race days. Chinese, Japanese, food or western style. And a Taiwanese banquet in the night of WHBPC.

4) Kaohsiung has been hosted the World game 2009. We're sure we can do a good job.
http://www.worldgames2009.tw/wg2009/eng/index.php

5) Where ever it takes WHBPC 2012, we'll be there for learning and sourcing. The preparation will be abundant.

Looking forward your comments.

Do it! I'd love an excuse to go to Taiwan!

321polo.net

justmekicking wrote:

5) Where ever it takes WHBPC 2012, we'll be there for learning and sourcing. The preparation will be abundant.

i think this is your most important promise! we have had some communication with japanese polo through this year's whbpc, but otherwise asia<->euro/america crossover has been quite minimal. it would be great to broaden it in the coming year. has there been much asia/australia tournament travel happening?

Hi,
We've paid attention to worlds HBP for a while. The world is flat. We have several tourneys with Japan players.
Like Riki, he did help us a lot. Our communications are frequent.
I've contacted Australia for the Takao Cup HBPC 2011 of Pan-Asia. And hope to meet them in Taiwan then.

how bout..if you win worlds you host worlds...proof of being able to manage this kind of event is in the results...

But the best organizers are not necessarily the best players, and vice versa. Also, if you're seriously competing for a title, you're probably too busy to queue up swiss rounds and re-stock coffee, et cetera...

With regards to the "unlimited courts" claim, what do you mean justmekicking? You could have ten courts with full boards and goals and perfect court surfaces? I'd go for that reason alone.

Hi Blazar,

I mean just reach how many it takes with how may entry teams should be.

Taiwan 2013, brilliant idea

This is a great idea Mikey! I vote to have a biding for 2013.

Whos got the crack!

x2 on establishing the bidding process for 2013 and setting a timeline to have that location determined, ideally, by the time people are traveling to 2012 Worlds. So, let's get this going, eh?

Ride, bake, polo, repeat.

the world's should be in canada in 2013.

east van 2013!

bumping a dead thread because I'm interested in the subject.

Taiwan 2013?

Chicago 2013 ?

now there's an idea...

FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ft Lauderdale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the idea of Fort Lauderdale!
If the world of bike polo agrees, I would bee honored to begin making arrangements.

Bike Polo is Our Language,
Good Will is Our Motto,
Friendship is Our Goal.

Play More Bike Polo Together!

I heard talk about side-by-side-by-side-by-side hockey courts? Is this in fort lauderdale? Everything else about it seems fun to me. Beaches, palm trees, reasonable flights... if good courts can be secured easily it has my vote, honestly.

MIA/FTL did put in a bid, but I believe that we're now looking further ahead (maybe to NA's 2014?) in South Florida... and in the meantime, we're working on something for January - come on down and play with us then!

It's true. They do exist.
Site of 2012 Southeast Regionals.

• image.jpg

Good Will is Our Motto,
Friendship is Our Goal.

London votes for Florida.

Looks amazing. If this happens, I'm there.

don't forget the $50 all inclusive round trip cruises to the Bahamas once you're down there...swiss thursday, swiss friday, polo cruise saturday and double elim sunday...that's doing it right.

my vote go for FTL. I mean its 45 minute from MIA YAYOOO and south beach clubs. fuck a far camp where the bitchez at ? srsly have u seen the barmaids @ Mangos ?

http://www.mangostropicalcafe.com/photo/girls/

i think you accidentally a language.

is it hard to get to cuba from florida? legally i mean

You're Canadian(I'm assuming) so it might be easier for you to get in. As an American though, I know it's pretty difficult. I would talk to Alexis Mills mom because she lives(d) there.

Midwest is best!!

Its possible, but probably easier and cheaper from Canada or Mexico.

direct 45mins flights from FLL. but not for US citizens...(yet)

Good Will is Our Motto,
Friendship is Our Goal.

It'd still be great to have the double elim sat and cruise on sunday.

So this was brought to my attention by one of the guys at Lancaster United.

http://www.indianhead.com/virtual-tour.php

It's summer camp. It's not important that you think about *this* camp, but that you consider that lots of facilities like this exist all over the USA. These places often rent out to conferences and for training. Most offer decent housing options.

As a former camp counselor, I can tell you these places are often strapped for cash, and love making new business relationships. They often have long down periods before or after camp sessions, and outside of the normal school year, they are eager to find anything to fill their space.

We may need to start thinking outside of the "hosted by x-club" mentality. The cities are great for the clubs, but they might not always meet our tournament needs. It's not like we have to go super far away from airports either. Some camps are just beyond the suburbs of many cities.

I think this kind of approach is worth serious consideration. Imagine tournaments where all participants sleep on-site, and there is space to host pre and post socials. Imagine being able to get loud, and without worry about residential areas or the fuzz. Some of these places allow for alcohol at conferences, so it's not beyond consideration that we can even get on site permits leading to drink tents, and *ahem* beverage sponsors.

Google your area for summer camps, and look at their facilities. Try and find yourself not drooling over consecutive tennis and basketball courts. The link above even had a covered roller hockey court. Such a place demands some serious final match polo. Think about it.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

Another great idea here!

the first "the fest" in Gainesville was at a boy's club camp...RULED! bunkbeds, outdoor pool, canoeing, fire pits, kickball, four square, tennis courts and hockey courts not even mentioning the dining hall for shade and meals. those camps need money badly most of the time and are dying to rent out during off peak season. Florida has a ridiculous amount of hockey courts leftover from the roller hockey boom...they're all over down there because you can play year round.

That fest was definitely pretty awesome. good bands played, and there was a big youth liberation conference at it, too! That would definitely be a great place for a tournament! Good Call, Jason!

mke maybe intrested

140x65

Midwest for WHBPC!
Do something as 1 wildcard, 1 bench minor, 1 worlds champs, in three cities, madison, mke, chicago. All that during three weeks.
WOOOOOP WOOOOP!

Don't forget a crazy tournament in Lex.

.greg

Yeah, Big tourney in Lextown!!!

come to Toronto 2013!!!!

-416polo-

We just play the 2º South American Tournament in Buenos Aires this weekend!
And for the second year, the final is Underdogs from São Paulo, Brazil x Monopolientos, Santiago, Chile.
In 2011 Monopolientos win, and 2012 Underdogs win.
So we are looking foward to play the Worlds, in 2013, the both teams.
We whant to now where its gone be the tournament, and if South America have some spots?

I send you a image, from both teams few minutes before we start to play the finals!

• 46233_386870124714453_133081480_n.jpg

One think we are doing here in South America, is decide where we gone do the tournements with 2 yaers of advanced!
I think its a great idea because, everybody can organize to play!

MKE sounds great, i loved the courts at NA's! I heard some talk about mabe Canada, and Id preffer it not be in there due to the fact that some of us may not be able to get in...

MKE MKE MKE! I missed NA's and im itchin to get back home and playin in worldz would be rad

Get rad

MPLS, roseville oval for every major tournament for the next ten years. but worlds 2013 would be a start.

Those who are anxious to know where 2013 Worlds will be... CALM DOWN! There is plenty of time for people to put in their bids. We didn't know where Worlds 2012 would be until the end of December/January if I remember right.

My intuition on this subject is that the midwest is very likely to host it in 2013. But if NAH wants to get some funds together from each qualifier and to rent a summer camp in florida (or anywhere for that matter) then I think it's important this happens as early as possible in 2013 so the europeans can be given as much time as possible to finance their own plane tickets.

Also, two years in a row there has been Worlds followed by another excellent tournament. Seattle 2011 had the E.Van Crown and Geneva 2012 had the London Open. I absolutely would love a chance to stay in town for an extra week to play pickup with everyone then to go somewhere nearby for a second tournament. If 2013 falls in the midwest, it would be great to try and put a tournament scheduled after and allow everyone to get a good flavor of the region (i.e. mke worlds, then mpls after). Bonus points if it is a mix up like london and we can have amazing players on different teams than worlds.

20max6 wrote:

Those who are anxious to know where 2013 Worlds will be... CALM DOWN! There is plenty of time for people to put in their bids. We didn't know where Worlds 2012 would be until the end of December/January if I remember right.

My intuition on this subject is that the midwest is very likely to host it in 2013. But if NAH wants to get some funds together from each qualifier and to rent a summer camp in florida (or anywhere for that matter) then I think it's important this happens as early as possible in 2013 so the europeans can be given as much time as possible to finance their own plane tickets.

Also, two years in a row there has been Worlds followed by another excellent tournament. Seattle 2011 had the E.Van Crown and Geneva 2012 had the London Open. I absolutely would love a chance to stay in town for an extra week to play pickup with everyone then to go somewhere nearby for a second tournament. If 2013 falls in the midwest, it would be great to try and put a tournament scheduled after and allow everyone to get a good flavor of the region (i.e. mke worlds, then mpls after). Bonus points if it is a mix up like london and we can have amazing players on different teams than worlds.

if toronto gets their shit, we'd be down to host the fci in a fashion like london did.

I would love to see the Worlds in Toronto!

Been done.

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

cmwc ≠ whbpc

Heh

but then we can't say we are tied for the current 2008 3rd place in the world anymore kev!

i think our shit is more or less organized into discrete turds most of the time, but organizing WHBPC would be more akin to sculpting our shit into a masterpiece

Worlds in NAH should be next to the Bench minor edition, to get a euro-team in the game.

Say WHBPC finishes on a Saturday, like you did in Geneva. How about Sunday evening, one game, Europeans vs N.A.?

Whichever team wins EHBPC and NAHBPC each gets to pick 4 or 5 more players. That, or there's a registration and vote a few weeks ahead by players from each continent.

in my experience having extra people on the bench team doesn't necessarily make it a better team, it all depends on the draft. but it sounds like chicago B.M. (2011) + the rest of the world = the best bench minor that could happen.
Worlds Bench Minor 2013 sounds tight!

Florida in late October early November please? The positive's are endless..
MKE was well run and decent courts but, I was scared the whole time of my crap getting stolen or a gun fight breaking out over by the pool. Not to mention the unused bullets in their casing's I found over by the drinking fountain.
Not hatin' just statin'
Oh, and are the Beaver Boys still together? Because I like Kremin and well, I would hate to see him combust into a bloody red mist after winning worlds on his home turf..;)

son... wrote:

Florida in late October early November please? The positive's are endless..
MKE was well run and decent courts but, I was scared the whole time of my crap getting stolen or a gun fight breaking out over by the pool. Not to mention the unused bullets in their casing's I found over by the drinking fountain.
Not hatin' just statin'
Oh, and are the Beaver Boys still together? Because I like Kremin and well, I would hate to see him combust into a bloody red mist after winning worlds on his home turf..;)

point taken on the first part. but decent isnt the proper word for milwaukee's courts.

Now was the second part hatin or statin?

son... wrote:

Ha. Then you damn sure don't want Chicago...
btw, unused bullets? Buncha amateurs.

No bullshit, found this ON the court today at pickup...

so... about worlds 2013, less bullets, more polo.

what city hasn't found bullets on their courts?

Portland.

But 2 weeks ago polo was delayed at Alberta Park because there was a dog show on the court. They got permits and everything.

We never found them on the courts but there was a brief exchange of bullets one night when we played at Penninsula park. There was some ducking on our part but mostly a lot of staring and dumbfounded looks.

pete wrote:

Portland.

But 2 weeks ago polo was delayed at Alberta Park because there was a dog shot on the court. They got permits and everything.

Canada.

Europe

Yorgo

We never had bullets on the court yet, but we have a little bit of trouble with our winter court right now.
We play in a covered parking lot and we're told that a porn movie was shot there a couple of weeks ago.
So now they wanna control a little more who get's in and out of there...

I'm trying to find some funny names the movie could be called:
- big dicks and parking tickets

yeah but remember when we rented out the pool for a private beer drinking awesome pool party? I have never been scared to be in that park honestly. we are always treated with respect and no one has messed with us there ever. a purse being stolen that was left on the carseat in plain sight was the worst as far as i know. but two bikes stolen in frederick , MD and we catch flack in MKE for you being scared? that being said... Florida in october sounds good to me.

Frederick was a little sketchy for sure.

D FENS

Can we have an international vote BenBama?

four more beers.

We are tossing around the idea of hosting but have no solid plans on putting in a bid. There should defiantly be a bench after worlds.
P.S. I am bullet proof

140x65

For what it's worth - I'd really like to see Milwaukee hold the Worlds in 2013.

The ease of traveling to/from was amazing, the courts were perfect, the organization couldn't have been better and the local culture made things interesting. This coupled with the clubs proximity to major sponsors and supporters makes MKE a logical choice for everyone.

probably too seriously...

www.eighthinch.com

Crandall wrote:

For what it's worth - I'd really like to see Milwaukee hold the Worlds in 2013.

+1

I agree.

We have our Bulleit in Bottles in SF. MKE felt very welcoming every step I took.I thought the hood was perfect for polo too The only thing I lost was a couple of pounds in the heat and a couple of well fought games. Our regular tournie spot in SF needs swept for needles b4 you can even spectate

"So this is how it ends"MACHINE

oh c'mon! It wasn't just needles. We had a whole range of party favors

After last night, can we have it in Colorado or Washington.

thanks!

DENVER!!!

Midwest is best!!

when you guys gone have the place and the date?
how many courts?

Here we are in 2013.
Can we pick up the "Worlds" topic again, but this time just hear from Teams/Clubs who might be able to put the event on here in North America.
If no one wants to step forward - - offering to host - - by some set date...then maybe NAH should officially pass the opportunity for the Worlds to some other venues outside of North America.
But it seems like the collective community should be moving forward on this.

Mke will host worlds, please give it to us.

140x65

Count it!

.kremin. wrote:

Mke will host worlds, please give it to us.

for real. this needs to get sorted.

best courts, most abandoned buildings, pros on hand to make things run smoothly, cheap flights.... got my vote!

DO IT!!!

Midwest is best!!

I don't think you are going to get any opposition to this most amazing proposal to host a tournament ever! (not joking)
DO IT! and get on with it.

Thanks for stepping up Kremin.

Pool party again please!

seriously. there is no opposition. just make the announcement already. and pick dates so we can buy tickets.

Yes, dates would be awesome!

FTL is putting in a bid as well so they might take case with "no opposition" .

I hear they have a good court situation.

It's almost March, can both of these cities host a World Champs competently in that amount of time?

Can we get some bids already??!

Let the shitty hotel hunt begin!

PO PO POOOOOOOOOO!

Any idea of the dates, or just the month, september?

MKE's bid is in between the 20th of september to 13th of October.

Nice Jake. School starts late September here in Washington. The earlier the better for students I think, but whatever you guys can swing is great!

late september and i think you should be back in school? what is this a rod stewart song?

Canadian Thanksgiving is Monday October 14th, that weekend would work well for your northern neighbours. Also, World's should be in October, in trying to keep with the new NAH calendar. NAs in September.

Mid October would be a travelling nightmare if you are a student coming long distance. Thankfully next year when worlds isn't in NA I'll be finished at least! I'm curious how many students this new calendar may effect. I had never seen it until reading this.... Sounds great aside from conflicting with student schedules. I'm glad to miss the 95+ degree F weather in MKE we dealt with last summer.

I am really glad that dates are finally being talked about, but (excuse the de-rail) having NAs as late as September seems extreme.
Especially as Cody has pointed out this will be a pretty bad time for Students.

On the plus side, if NAs and Worlds are both in Sept/Oct, at least all of you old timers get a better shot at the prize with us whippersnappers out of the way. Jokes.

Not us old folks who are teachers. These dates would not be good for us either.

You are a mature whippersnapper, Martin.

Hi Jake. Why not late August in MKE?

August is the best for period everybody, easier to have holidays from your boss and off period for students.

But I'm really happy to think about play in Milwaukee.

CALL ME DADDY

Temperature + NAHBCP are early september (?)

My understanding is NA's are aug 17th-18th so we went approx 1 month afterwards. if you can't skip school to play polo you aren't taking it seriously enough. :) our dates are flexible and we could do it anytime really.

capt. jake wrote:

My understanding is NA's are aug 17th-18th so we went approx 1 month afterwards. if you can't skip school to play polo you aren't taking it seriously enough. :) our dates are flexible and we could do it anytime really.

Is that for sure? I might come over and watch, unless it clashes with Euros/Karlsruhe/LO

Labor Day weekend, please!

Midwest is best!!

Ok thanks Jake, if August is not possible because of NA's so my vote go for mid-October.

Good luck for this, and thank you MKE if you put a bid for WHBPC13.

CALL ME DADDY

If everyone is concerned for the students (awesome!) early October is perfect for Australian students, mid semester break time. Any other time, like Geneva in August, sucks as we miss out on lotsa work.
But this is polo and I have missed out on plenty of Uni for it, a little more wont hurt.

I am pushing for early/mid September but like Jake said it all depends on NA's. In a perfect world NA's would be in early August and Worlds would be exactly on month later. I think the only argument against this is the heat? But realistically August in MPLS is pretty amazing and ball technology has come a long way.

Everyone knows what MKE has to offer where's this FL bid? Where are the courts? I heard rumor that you would need to rent a car to drive from your hotel to courts? How close to the ocean is it? Pool party?

140x65

As one who is seeing his available time off slipping due to work people being stupid, can we please figure this out?

Like, March 1??

why worlds should be in Milwaukeee
We have experience
We have great purpose built courts that are only getting better. (not roller hockey courts)
Limited places to stay but places to stay none the less and cheap hotels
Amazing weather in September
Did I mention Ben Schultz lives here? Our club has nearly doubled since NA's
Located in the middle of the country you can drive here.
Flights to and from MKE are consistently cheap and our airport is a very short and easy $2 bus ride to down town, also Chicago is an hour train ride away
International Airport

Let your reps know how you feel

140x65

My President (Machine) already knows what's up... yay!, MKE!

Lefty Bullshit!

Saw some word fight on FB. Will Florida post a bid too? If yes, this could be a dedicated thread with pros and cons from both side no?

This sounds awesome. I understand the student situation, this would be really difficult for me if it wasn't the start of my gap year! (Gap year America polo travels sounds good to me)

#Polofad

just to put it all out there this is our bid. MKE BIKE POLO WORLD HARCOURT BIKE POLO CHAMPIONSHIPS 2013 HOSTING BID

4 miles from downtown, 3 courts, repurposed tennis courts, apprx 145’ x 65’ (same location as NAHBPC 2012)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=washington+park+milwaukee&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hn...

Portapotties and Pool facilities
Parking: in the nearby lots and on street.

Dates: September 20th to early October 13th is doable range.

Weather: this is the driest time of year in MKE as far as precipitation. Weather patterns in recent years have been in the 60s -70s during day and occasionally into 40s at night is possible but generally warmer.
Daylight from 7am -630pm ( we would get lights for 2 courts)

Housing:
-We can host about half the teams in homes of players or local bike community. (within 5-6 miles of court)
-The University of Milwaukee dorms and motels/hotels are within 6 miles of court and relatively cheap ($25/night per person)
-hotels with group discounts nearby. We tried to get these for NAHBPC and only hotels west of the courts were really willing to offer any deals. I would be willing and it is easy to get out a call for other hotel options through the Visit Milwaukee Bureau that might be closer to the parties aka downtown but can’t guarantee they will jump on it but some players prefer to get a quiet easy night sleep too. Nothing in MKE is further than a 20 min car drive from the courts. Several bus lines go by the courts.

Food: (fully cooked) Brats and coleslaw. And I promise we will have a veggie/vegan option as well this time lunch each day will be included in registration.

Fred’s: located 4 blocks from court and serves diner style burgers fry’s malts etc.
Birdie’s café: 2 blocks from court serves coffee and sandwiches/soup
MCBob’s: Irish pub with awesome Rueben’s!!! (Seriously one of the best on MKE) 8 blocks away
Grocery stores on way to courts from downtown/eastside/bay view
Farmers market Saturday in pretty sure in the park

Water: Have a bubbler next to courts. Will have 6-8, 5 gallon jugs filled at reg table/water station as well

Airport: MKE Mitchell International (southwest/AirTran/delta). Also 1.5 hours ($20) bus/train ride from Chicago O’Hare. Party bus????? Would talk to CHI BP to co –coordinate.
Greenline bus goes directly from airport to bay view/downtown and eastside Milwaukee for $2.25. We could coordinate some pick-ups as well with players cars from MKE airport
Parties at Nomad World Pub, Great Lakes Distillery, Underwear bike ride tour of MKE with 100s of people!, Riverboat party tours ($25) all you can drink,

Misc: we do this all the time. (throw tight tournaments)

Nice!

You should make a new thread just with this bid!

I'm just going to throw out here that University of Milwaukee dorms won't likely be available to the public for the dates you are proposing.

given the choice i would take ftl over mke. my reasons are mostly personal. i am from miami, my father is buried there, my sister lives in the bahamas. and south florida is fun as hell. side note: i prefer coconut grove to south beach anytime

No date is going to work for everyone. Since the location has not even been decided yet, I think a later date would be better/ more probable.
Plus who is still in school??? How old are you guys? Graduate already... or take bike polo more seriously. Skipping two days of class is no big deal. I graduated in four years time and I skipped plenty (don't ask me my major). haha just kidding I realize players from over seas would have to take more time off.

But seriously I vote Florida; if they aren't stepping up then there really is no argument

Side question here. Not saying we should do this but just curious... Say Florida or Austin or Anchorage (doesn't matter) did host, would it be unreasonable for other clubs to help out? You don't have to live in that location to help get sponsors, do tshirt designs, etc etc...

Rumour has it that NAH will be posting another thread soon with more details about the bids.

Check out: http://leagueofbikepolo.com/forum/tournaments/2013/02/22/whbpc-2013-disc...

I think i'll close this thread.

I'm sure everyone has noticed that this thread was written the day after worlds in 2011, and is specifically about our lack of advance planning, even going so far as to suggest we start planning two years out. Still, here we are, 6 months away, trying to figure it out.

Therefore, I propose any clubs/cities interested in hosting worlds in the next two years should come to this year's world championship with their bids ready. We can select two from those for the next two years over the 'off season.' Seeing as we're still 7 months away from worlds this year, it seems like enough time for any seriously interested clubs to get a proposal together by that time. It sure would help just about everything run much more smoothly and give opportunities for sponsors to sign on for more than one year at a time. Even if we decided to have worlds happen every other year, it would help immensely, methinks.

Also, MKE or FL, I don't care, they both sound great. My long lost sisters live in FL, but I've always wanted to go to MKE and I love inexpensive beer (something Florida doesn't have so much of)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't sinning, Jesus died for nothing.