Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

Suggestions

I wanted to start a thread where we could suggest ways to make this site better.

My suggestion is bread crumb navigation. Sometimes I click a link from the home page and I don't know what forum I am in. It would be nice to have something like:
Home > Forums > Stuff That Breaks > Mallet Head Sizes

I realize that this is totally not a huge issue at all, but it would make the site a bit easier to navigate.

Moderator's note: i've closed this thread until i have more time to actually implement the ideas that come out of it.  I'll reopen in August or the fall.  For now, make do with what you've got. -kevin 

Does the site have poll functions?

www.myspace.com/turlockbikepolo

----------------------------------
Moooooo!

yep

Damn Kev, you are fast at getting these things updated. Thanks man.

slapdick bike polo - washington dc

this website is anti-productivity for the bike fed of wi..is there a way i can write off the hours im gonna spend on this site towards work?

no dice nyc...MKE!

do y'all like the ability to reply to individual comments, rather than at the bottom of the thread?  i can make it "flat" if people prefer.  i think that the current setup is better but takes some getting used to.

Flat withe option to quote is my preference (I'm just too used to DCFixed).
/$.02

Agreed and for the same reason... but I am getting used to this format pretty quickly. Sometimes its just hard to see the new comment. Perhaps a slightly red background on unread posts? You know, so it stands out as being unread.

ryand wrote:

Agreed and for the same reason... but I am getting used to this format pretty quickly. Sometimes its just hard to see the new comment. Perhaps a slightly red background on unread posts? You know, so it stands out as being unread.

ok i've installed and now i'm testing the quote module

Seems to work pretty OK.

i definitely prefer the ability to reply directly to posts and the ability to quote text.  replying directly keeps the subject on track and you get to skip a whole set of comments if you think that the parent is not relevant to you.  otherwise you have to read through all of these random comments.

threaded, definitely, it's the difference between other sites and this one.  it allows for the most readable input.  an easier-to-read site is an easier-to-write site, and i think that's the goal-- more people talking about scoring big fat goals and playing more polo more of the time.

Yup, Unread posts are throwing me. I have to read everything to figure out what's new and what isn't.
Moooooo!

Moooooo!

ok now there's a big red box around new stuff.  and i put the comment box back at the bottom, so most of the new comments will be at the bottom.

fucking rocking better

remember to reply directly to comments in the...

...reply.

in the reply...

in the reply...

in the reply...

in the reply

then you don't have to explain to people wtf you're talking about, they know.  because you replied to something.
directly.
that's why that little button's there ben.

Definitely better.

way better. thanks kev!

tho i still encourage the use of the "reply" button.

A home button at the bottom of the page would be nice. That way you don't have to scroll back up, especially on a long thread.

yup, i concur.  thanks everyone for the input, we'll get working on things as time and the polo gods allow...

k, done.

am restricted to posts on friend's computers
again you rock my world
have you ever heard of slashdot?
slashdot.org
this would be my dream.  imagine this but instead of nerds, it's bike polo. read the faq there wherever it is.

Will it break into multiple pages after so many posts?

Moooooo!

Moooooo!

ya, 50 i think.

can we get rid of this bullshit preview comment thing, i mean who even uses that?

hey ben, we appreciate the commentary, we really do.  but sometimes when i wake up first thing in the morning after working late on a website for the peeps it starts to stick in my craw when someone calls an experimental feature 'bullshit'.  people here don't know your ways and what a lovely and polite guy you are, maybe save the trash-talk for something that matters and leave the 'bullshit' out of earshot of the volunteers who are putting this together for you, please and thank-you.
plus it's a good feature, so lighten up buddy.

i believe that ben's comment was meant to be a joke, making fun of the fact that he never re-reads his ramblings before hitting that Post Comment button.  but ya ben, there are 300 reads of this post now, and most people don't get yer humour.  i like it.  but sometimes i cringe on behalf of the rest.

You should start to.

Retired.

On the individual league pages, there's no indication of who starts threads posted there. It gets kinda awkwardly anonymous when say, you, Kevin, post something like "hey nyc, i'm coming there next week and I need a bike and a place to stay".

Does not apply at Los Marcos Madness

Does not apply at Los Marcos Melee

thanks for noticing.  fixed.

ok but how bout all this scrolling, can we have new post at teh top or is that stupid

if there's a new post you'll get taken right to it.

ben Hunter wrote:

ok but how bout all this scrolling, can we have new post at teh top or is that stupid

it's supposed to be like that.  the conversation are not linear, they are threaded.  it's not a book, it's a newspaper.

hey kev we need wrapping on the site.  i am viewing it in a narrow window and a third of the page falls off the window, when it should wrap to whatever window size i choose.
and the domain name garbage is driving me mental.  i'll send you an email with the login / pass and hopefully you can figure out how to do this for me.  or call my cell, i don't have your number on me for some reason.  and they call this the future.

from looking at things i think now that the fixed-width of the site is coming from the standardised width of the flick photo content page.  can we switch that page to 100 pixels narrower?  that would help people with 1024 by 768 immensely, and cell-phone nerd-balls.

it wasn't the photo page.  but just made it 975 wide (was 1024).  that should work if your browser is maxed on a 1024.   eventually i want to replace the flickr photo streams with something else, but i dunno what yet.

hey jackie , i know your all putting in the hard work, and i appreciate it i do, its just when typing i have not check on whats appropriate and whats not. and as far as kevin goes, he can go eat one

just like your polo ben?  the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, does it.

your lucky you set up the braket jack otherwise we would have beat you in the 1/4 to play milwalkee in the finals. the big apples goina fall soon

nyc no dice MSN

like i said ben, i think you'll be lucky to make it out of the group stage.

as i've written elsewhere ben, if you couldn't beat nyc in the semi's, how do you think you could have beat them in the finals?  how do you think that you could have beaten the team that had beaten the team that had beaten the team that played in the finals.  that's all that really matters, don'tcha think?  who gives a shit if you placed eighth or second, do you think that anyone will remember who placed sixth?  or fourth?  you had your chance to beat the number one team and you couldn't do it-- what i recall is that you were down 4-2 when your match was called on lameness.  was i dreaming that milwaukee didn't make the final either, would you be able to help me out with that?  if the rain had held off and your match wasn't called you could have stuck around and played for milwaukee for  third, if that's what you were really looking for.  where's the complaint in that?  *third in the world*
among the people i consulted when i made the brackets, the smart money was on madison losing it before the final.  which to their good credit i will have to admit did happen.

i guess my  post wasnt clear, idont think i can beat nyc currently, but i was saying i would have like  to play you and kick your ass, and have had milwaukee beat nyc. but fine go ahead and make fun of me anyways, its not like i dont have feelings

oh my god home button at the bottom.  i'll try and figure it out, but the lappy be down and the beer is only getting warmer...

some forums have a function that allows you to see if you've posted in a thread without having to open it. Useful for people with the memory of a goldfish i.e. me.

Yorgo

go to http://www.bikepolo.ca/user/le-car/track and make that your home page if you like.

oh and constant spell check would be good

LONDON: http://bricklanebikepolo.wordpress.com/
PARIS: http://panambikepolo.blogspot.com/

Yorgo

so nice how macs just do that shit for you, whenever you type anything.

It's not just macs

Moooooo!

Moooooo!

when a post says 275 reads, are those unique or possilbe duplicates?

Usually it means how many times it's been clicked on.  I've read this post at least 10 times.

Moooooo!

Moooooo!

ya the stats are kind of meaningless.  i just posted twice on this thread in a row, and thereby added 4 to the total.   in other words, they are not unique visitors.  maybe i'll hide them.

No, it's a good funciton, it lets you know which threads people are coming back to over and over.  It also lets you know that people are reading it even if they're not posting.

Moooooo!

Moooooo!

yeah, i'm finding the numbers really useful.  keep 'em at least for now.
thank god bikepolo.ca is resolving again.
p

kev you mentioned something earlier about the page going straight to the first new post when clicked upon.  I like that idea.  Does this post make sense?

::

Also, I just posted [above] on the second page of the discussion and I got sent to the first page after hitting the post button.  would be nice if redirected to the just-posted post.  make any sense?

::

seconded

Moooooo!

Moooooo!

i got rid of the page breaks.  it was set at 50 comments, but i don't really see the need to split it up.   i think our threads will generally not get too long.

I bet that at some point, they'll get real long. That being said, page breaks might not be a good idea, with the way these comments are threaded. Things could get mucky & confusing with read & unread threads on both pages, etc.

I personally don't like the threading, but that's merely a personal preference and I'm fine with the way the site works.

I also vote for going to the first unread post when you click on a thread

Does not apply at Los Marcos Madness

Does not apply at Los Marcos Melee

ken wrote:

I also vote for going to the first unread post when you click on a thread

This works for me right now.  you'll the see URL will have #comment-new at the end.  you might need to let the page finish loading before it sweeps you down to it. 

i'd be down with that, going to the first unread post.  threading is what makes this site so much more productive.  it keeps the conversations on track and means that people can skip over the side-tracks that they aren't interested in.
i'd keep the page breaks for posts that contain over a hundred comments, then people's browsers don't grind to a halt when the pictures start going up.
yes the pictures.

IMG_3850.JPG

left_hand_sam (not verified)

Actually, that reminds me: we should disable images, before posting pictures gets out of hand (you know it will).

WOULD YOU LIKE SOME PUNCH TO DRINK? HA HA HA

hell no, images are fine with me. 

i'm closing this thread for now cause i have other crap to do for the next couple weeks, including a couple days of polo in NYC which i'm psyched about.