Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

when is the game over?

im sort of leaning towards timed matches., 15 min games. 20 min games. 10 is too short but for the simplest of games. it would make for better round robin play, that way you could really rack it up for your team if you hustled to get the points on the board i also like the 3 chukkas to 3 style, but that doesnt untill we get to the smaller bracket.  

From my post on team sizes:

we have played around here with splitting the whole pack into 2 teams with 9 - 12 players per team.  Only 6 are allowed on court at a time (3 from each team).  The game goes on for 30 min, as many points as you can get in 30, players rotate in and out as needed.Some of us like this (I do) and some don't. 

You could make these games an hour long with a short half time.  Or do quarters with a joust at the start of every quarter/period.

well i have been thinking about this a bit since the nacccs are coming. i like the idea of 3 chukkas to 3, but we would call them sets. i think from the quarters on it will be like that and then the finals will be 3 sets to 5. that might be a bit much however.

ya the word "chukkers" should be castigated into the dustbin of polo history.  but i like the idea of sets.  cause 5 or 7 points is not enough for big games, and beyond that number it becomes really hard to keep score.

i dont think games need to be palyed to 5 even in the finals if we are playing chukkas

Is this for tourneys or pickup games with the pals? 

----------------------------------

Moooooo!

----------------------------------
Moooooo!

let the people doing the event decide. this is one of the things that i like to see mixed up from time to time and place to place. not everything in polo has to be so rigid. cant it just be fun like it used to be?  

Doug D

Brooklyn, New York

http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.com/

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo+gmail+com
hardcourtbikepolo.com

Doug D wrote:

cant it just be fun like it used to be?  

No, never fun again. 

yeah doug, how un-fun was that comment anyway?  i love this manufactured conspiracy of un-funness that you've created.i, for one, had such a shitty time at polo last night.  fucking.  hated.  it.lovep   

polo is supposed to be fun?

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

sure it can be different at each city, but youve expressed some pretty harsh opinions about citys that have different rules than you guys do.

Yes, as I have said before, the basic rules should be the same and the format should change from time to time and place to place. I was just expressing my opinion that constructing a set format would take some of the fun out of it for me. I love the idea of different tournaments being carried out differently. The rules and the format are two different things in my eyes. 

Doug D

Brooklyn, New York

http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.com/

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo+gmail+com
hardcourtbikepolo.com

rules and format, a little different, court sizes, mallet length, but tap out point/s is that format of rules. Im not for standerdizing the game limit, and i dont think that will ever happen, but i am curious as to what peoples thoughts are concerning what the game lengths should be, not about setting absolutes. 

In Milwaukee we have a rule: If you're the sixth guy you can't leave till we play one more game at least. Meaning that as the night goes on and people start going home when it's down to the final 6 dudes and you're the first of those six who decides to call it a night you' re gonna have five drunken MKE polo players telling you that you must stay for one more. these games usually go to an excessive amount of points (10-15pts to make the most of the last game) and can last almost an hour and are always a very drunken good time.

our normal pickup games go to 5 pts. games to 3pts if we have a good turnout and alot of people are itchin to play.

i like sets to 3-5 pts for semi- finals and finals. that way, if youre playing a team in the semifinals who are better rested than your team coming coming off that butal game in the quarters and you lose the first game, you still have two more games to advance. plus, you're playing the same team so it evens the playing field in terms of rest a bit more.

- Beaver Boys * Milwaukee Bike Polo Club -

I like that rule.  Good way to nip the exodus in the bud.  Who in their right mind would want to piss off five drunken MKE polo players?  They look mean enough when they're sober...

This is why if you are gonna leave you just leave as the 7th guy and hurry up and get out before the 6th guy notices he's the 6th guy (or girl)

no dice nyc...MKE!

in nyc we play pick-up 'til 5. except on the occasion that a game is taking too long or is too boring. both very arbitrary determinations made by those milling around waiting to play and prompted by multiple people asking "what's the score?"

in those cases, a 2-minute warning is given and the game ends when the crowd feels like about 2 minutes have passed.

now, and you might want to close your eyes for this one, imagine tournament games decided by the spectators. play hard, play fast, play well, or you get the arbitrary 2-minute warning. madness! hullabaloo! shenanigans! anarchy! i kind of like it.

seriously, though. playing to a set number vs. a timed limit require totally different strategies and favor different types of teams. i'm with doug. it's fun to mix it up.

hahah gong show polo?  I think I kinda like that idea.   only for pickups though.