Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

body on body

so ive been noticing some these cities are more agressive then others and just wondering how people take the body on body contact. and excatly how aggressive those that have been talked about are.

i come from a hockey background so im always wanting to give a push here and a push there.

what are peoples feelings on body on body and how does your city dea with it. 

Here in Ottawa we play with little to no physical contact. When we go to other cities to play tournaments we definitely have to adjust our style of play. That being said the level of aggression has definitely gone down in the last year or so (certain games excepted). The general feeling here is that as players get better and improve their games, they rely less on brute force to win.

3...2...1...GO!

A little nudge is one thing, but a high speed shoulder check is another.

When I go to tournaments, I like to play as I am being played. Against a physical team, you need to use a little more muscle than against a finesse team. During weekly play, there are a few guys that I like to  get a little more rough with, but not everybody.

Alexis is right, his team played a very polite game at ESPI. Until one of my teammate's put Robbie over the boards... then it got a bit more physical.

I don't know if there can be an absolute answer to this question. If two people are going after the ball, the are gonna start pushing into each other to get better position, but I feel that the flying shoulder check is completely unnecessary.

slapdick bike polo - washington dc

wasnt this an entire discussion in another thread already?

no dice nyc...MKE!

i think body on body is pretty acceptable most of the time(e.g. shoulder on shoulder, elbows are not really cool). bike on bike contact on the other hand is nothing but stupid. sure pedals and bars may get tangled, but anything else is basically t-boning. 

A nudge or a bump is always good. 

----------------------------------

Moooooo!

----------------------------------
Moooooo!

In New York we beat the fuck out of each other all the time. Not so much the new players, but everybody else. Nobody here bitches about it. 

Doug D

Brooklyn, New York

http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.com/

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo+gmail+com
hardcourtbikepolo.com

milwaukee plays a very physical game too (but we don't have to) we can roll with the punches and nobody complains about getting to physical when its warrented.

what i hate is when some hacker puts a ding in my freshly built mallet. i'd much rather get checked than hacked at.

- Beaver Boys * Milwaukee Bike Polo Club -

we play physical in east van and on the west coast.  but there is no shoulder checking, elbowing, or anything for bikes headed in opposite directions, you can easily send someone to hospital, and no one wants that.  nor can you push or grab someone with your mallet hand at any time.  elbow and forearm and shoulder them, but that's it.  you can easily send someone to the hospital, and no one wants that.  it's like in hockey-- physical play is encouraged but dangerous play is dangerous and is penalised as such.  sometimes with a game misconduct, sometimes with a longer suspension.

I think a rough play makes the game more exciting. The thing is some people have better bikes then others giving them an advantage...I think using your body weight as part of the game can make for a more level playing field. I do agree that when using brute force there should be some awareness of what is going on around you, you dont want to blindly smash someone at high speed (though that happens often in NY...haha) but I really think it makes for a more intense game. Plus you can throw someone off their game because when they are hit they may take it personal and try and get you back putting them out of position. I never take it personal and I totally welcome rough play.

the thing i love about this game is that there is always something someone does either to their bike or with their style of play that may give them an advantage in a certain circumstance. that may mean that they are deficient in other areas. for example, certain mallets make defending easier but impede a player's shot. oh well. in terms of body on body, it is easy to say that the bigger boys have an advantage because of their size. i wholly agree. they do have an advantage over that element of the game. what we have done really well is saying that bigger, stronger folks can use their muscle but, in the interest and safety of all, we are going to eliminate malicious tactics but still keep the physical game. intuitively, this would require common sense. however, i'm not sure how common all of our senses are. i would like to think that if someone does something overly aggressive most of us would be able to recognise it and tell them not to do it. unfortunately, there are different perceptions out there. i'd say some of the basic codes of conduct for body on body should be:

1) no grabbing another player

2) no shouldering from opposite direction

3) "leaning in" or shouldering as two players are riding down the court in the same direction is okay. however, don't be a dick about it. don't shoulder someone into the wall at high speeds. don't jockey for position and then at the last minute push off when you know your push off is going to send the other player - because of his/her position, weight, etc - into a wall or another player.

4) no kicking.

5) no head-butting - though this could be the same as shouldering going in the same direction. head "resting" okay?!?!?!?

don't be a dick. don't be a dick. don't be a dick.

and if you don't know what that means, the peanut gallery will surely let you know. be open to accepting criticism and feedback. we're all there to have fun so always own up to your shit.

polove all!

rar 

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

nice post, i agree with all that.

• about #3: in a game against MKE a couple years ago, i put my head down against jake's shoulder and literally pushed him out of the play with my head.  it was a "clean" move, no big check, and if anyone would have been hurt it was me.  

and i'd add one more:

• shoulder checks involving rear brake sideways skids are way dangerous, because you can use much of your forward momentum to crush the player. it's a skillful, beautiful move, but we simply don't have enough equipment on to deal with it.  

Kev-i let you rest your head against me...it was comforting and i was tired because that was a intense final match

no dice nyc...MKE!

it's actually tiring as hell, pushing 200 pounds of man+machine with one's head while they're either braking or otherwise not cooperating.  that was an epic 1.5 hour long match. 

A Fuckin men.

Doug D wrote:

In New York we beat the fuck out of each other all the time. Not so
much the new players, but everybody else. Nobody here bitches about it.

Doug D

Brooklyn, New York

http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.com/

WestSidePolo

RAMMAN wrote:

I think a rough play makes the game more exciting. The
thing is some people have better bikes then others giving them an
advantage...I think using your body weight as part of the game can make
for a more level playing field. I do agree that when using brute force
there should be some awareness of what is going on around you, you dont
want to blindly smash someone at high speed (though that happens often
in NY...haha) but I really think it makes for a more intense game. Plus
you can throw someone off their game because when they are hit they may
take it personal and try and get you back putting them out of position.
I never take it personal and I totally welcome rough play.

WestSidePolo
WestSidePolo