Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

Cold weather polo balls

Franklin high density ball
Franklin super high density ball

On the midwests 2009 thread a few people in cold climate cities have suggested using the "Hot weather--For use above 70 F" (21 C) red Franklin super high density balls whenver the temp is above 40 degrees (4 C).

Pros of the reds at lower temps: super fast, accurate shots.

Cons: welts/bruises from slapshots. They start cracking a lot below 3 or 4 degrees.

So, at what temperature makes sense to switch to orange. The oranges are rated to "above 32 F" (0 C), but they're definitely good well below that.   At what temp do you winter polo players switch to the yellows? 

40 farenheight
Skid & Destroy
Axles of Evil

Yo Dawg I heard you like redundancies so we got a PIN number for your PIN

from what i remember last year we tried playing with the orange balls in the garage and they sucked once we got the yellow it was pretty much like playing with a red ball again but it had to be well under 40 degrees for sure. I think the orange with water in them worked well to. the problem with the orange was that they were really light and tended to bounce around a lot (even for garage standards) i think on a really smooth surface they might be ok. We have also played when it was so cold that we broke a yellow ball
www.mkebikepolo.com

140x65

playing with the yellow is not like playing with the red ball again.

it is after a month of playing with an orange ball. we used yellow balls for reeeeealy cold weather 15F and below. almost too cold to play polo... jonny, we were probably using a yellow ball for the friendlies at the garage this winter, the one when cecily was there, super cold
-hero squad * milwaukee, wi-

- Beaver Boys * Milwaukee Bike Polo Club -

you were using the tied died ball. God that was cold.

we broke an orange the other day in columbia...

2 actually

PETE_of_C0M0P0L0
www.comopolo.com

We never switch to yellow unless its all that we have, but it doesn't go much below freezing here often anyway.

slapdick bike polo - washington dc

i think we just play red, and crack them. i'd say go orange below freezing. gets cold here but not like Wisconsin.

We have trouble coming by red balls in the district, we usually have to travel or order online to get them, so we switch to orange when we start cracking the red balls. Otherwise, I would agree that using red and breaking them would be the standard here as well.

I am pretty sure we switch from red to orange once it gets below 40 F. Menace (RIP) is pretty particular about this. Paul, you're high on photos of your calves again, aren't you?

colder balls make for more accurate shots?
DENIED

nycbikepolo
B O P

x3

Colder and harder balls shoot straight. Right on target.

Joey

enough with the calves and whatnot, Midwhut.

we're lucky to have Paragon sports here in town, and such access to many colors of balls.
good games last night.
too bad that guy called me Nate.

good game and what not
the great northern harrier was flying at top speed
NorthernHarrier(MG)
"the Northern Harrier can be easily identified in flight by the white rump patch. They were formerly known as the Marsh Hawkkkk."

nycBOP

Depending on the cold & the balls, game flow changes. Only when it's 40F or so, can I bank shots off the boards, into goal, from beyond the blue line (with red ball). & that is so much fun! Also, shots that are wide no longer linger behind the goal; they ricochet hard & set up another shot opportunity. All that, & my ass sweats slightly less when it's cold. Slightly.

we break orange balls here in the winter all the time. when the water in the ball freezes thats when they break. so maybe a little colder than forty say thirty six perhaps, I don't carry a thermometer to the court with me. last winter Spencer brought his yellow ball out several times and we never broke it once, it hit just fine, rolled well, and most importantly didn't break from rocket shots. Looking at the top I notice y'all aren't using AGS balls and maybe thats the difference.
Skid & Destroy
Axles of Evil

AGS balls suuuuck. YMMV

ags = bs i refuse to use that damn x shitbutton
www.mkebikepolo.com

140x65

ags4life

It was about 22F/-6C last night so we broke out the Franklin Oranges. Every year I forget how much that changes the game.

Hard shots get lofted up and over our 12 foot backstop. Passes bounce and can't be controlled. Breakaways are a 50/50 gamble, best to slow down and draw out the defender.

Basically it rules. Whole new game of finesse and soft passes. Such fun.

>50 red
20 - 50 orange
<20 yellow

I think we mostly use Mylec's, though, which have 4 colors with narrower ranges.

We've tried pulling out the orange balls when it gets to below 30 here, but people still always complain because the Franklin orange ball still seems too light and has a weird action to it. I personally can get used to it quickly, but the majority of our players still prefer the red ball even in cold temps. The bad thing with that is that you quickly destroy those because they get too brittle.

Never played with the yellow before, and it rarely gets cold enough here for us to try one. Our winters mostly dip down into the lower 20's.

{}------- lexington -------{}

broke another orange ball last night, temp was right around 36 degrees. just sayin
Skid & Destroy
Axles of Evil

timtim, the AGS balls rule for many reasons. My favorite is taking a slapshot with someone in goal, splitting the ball in half and watching their face get sprayed with the water from the ball. just sayin

we broke two orange balls last night at polo-not sure of the brand, but they definitely broke on a super hard shop! will the red ones be any different?

mike-polo

Fuck off

Yes. The red ones will break more easily.

I only play with Franklin brand balls. Not being snobby but I've found other brands to be of poor quality.

Sveden wrote:

Yes. The red ones will break more easily.

I only play with Franklin brand balls. Not being snobby but I've found other brands to be of poor quality.

Mylec balls are pretty decent but still play a bit different from the Franklins. I think they may actually make better cold weather balls.

For warm weather, plain ol' red is best. But for very cold weather, the orange AGS works pretty well. Gives it the heft it should have without so much breakage. Unless you're TimTim.

It's Eric Crandal and his freakin lazer rocket shot, we should give him a mallet made out of something softer, between him and the reat of portland polo we're gonna go through a lot of orange balls this winter, or I can ride out to big five and get three yellows and we won't break a ball all winter! they play like an orange ball on a moderately warm day, and then ya don't have to go get new orange ones every week.
Skid & Destroy
Axles of Evil

in cold weather my balls tend to shrink up a bit, so I'm not as worried about breaking them as I might be in the summer when it is hot and they are saggy. Not sure what these water filled balls you are all using are all about, but I'd be freaked out if my balls were exploding during a game and spraying in somebody's face

nice to have a choice in ball density. in YYC, there is nothing but the ornage balls available. :(

and we break those in the summer all that time.

Polosapien

20F last night in Lawrence, we used the multi-colored Franklins. They hit pretty well.

"wear a face mask or duck" - Tall George
stick 2 da code, stop snitchin'
http://www.scarylarrykbp.org/
http://www.fixcraft.net/
http://321polo.net/

It was below freezing in Victoria this weekend. There were a couple of pink Mylec balls that I felt were awesome. Team blanket approves!

BOP: Eating Little Split Pea's shit for years.

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

We broke a red ball last night. It was about 40F here in SF CA. Not sure if it was from a mallet strike or if it got run over. We tried a pink one but it was way too bouncy. We went to a red AGS and had no problems after that.

Mallet strike, heh. I'm liking the my new St. Cago head mallet.

last night at pickup we broke four count em! four! orange balls. It was 28 degrees, gotta get some yellows before tonights league night or we'll only get in one game!
Skid & Destroy
Axles of Evil

Last night it was about 9F here, and we used a tie-dyed something-or-other cold weather ball. Those things are normally gummy as hell even at the freezing mark...last night it was like a ping pong ball. Awesome.
OGT-COMOPOLO

Bike Polo Ronin

An orange broke last night for us too. It was maybe 18º here. A red worked fine the rest of the night.

I'm assuming when people mention "orange" or "red" they're talking about Franklin brand. Correct me if i'm wrong. Otherwise this is all kinda meaningless, there are a hundred companies who make orange hockey balls.

I figure there's some kinda standard? (Red=harder for hot temperatures, Orange = normal for moderate temperatures and yellow = soft for really cold temperatures)

I'd like to do this again, If anyone can help me out, please e-mail me. can paypal money/whatever.

I bought a few cases of 3 (red/orange/yellow) in Vancouver 2 years ago (maybe Nike brand) I traded the yellow for red ones with kenny and piet, worked out great for all of us. (Dont need yellow in Australia, the red's are becoming necessary. (we reached 46 degrees celsius last summer, we wern't playing but you get the idea)

It's real hard to get street hockeyt balls here and even harder to get the red ones.

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

Standard's maybe but I'd wager each company could yammer on and on about the secret chemicals and processes that go into each plastic recipe.

Agreed, sure each one has its own pecularities, Tho we're a little stuck for choice down here :)

Send Red Balls!

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

Of course. They only sell Franklin out here as far as I've seen.
Skid & Destroy
Axles of Evil

Just move to Florida and this whole conversation would be over.
"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"

"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"
www.burrobags.com

How about this: I was in Seattle last night playing pickup and 4-5 of us broke or shattered our mallet heads on shots with a red Franklin. The ball was fine. Mallet heads = done.

That was a crazy night. Had some complaints when we switched to orange the next day but no broken heads. The yellow just stayed super gummy though. I know it will get cold enough for it but I think the orange is the best bet right now.
_______
Marco!
I am the Duck.

Good playing with you Mike. Say hello to the Eagle when you get down there and let him know he can't get away from the Usurper like that. Portland and Vancouver are equidistant from Seattle. Cuddle in The Arm...then come Home (under the wing).

Always a pleasure to play with you too martin. I'll hoepfully get up to E. Van sometime soonish. I'll see the eagle soon apparently, heard they let him back into your country and that he'll come back to the empire in a few days.
_______
Marco!
I am the Duck.

Orange is the season

Here's to 2010!

we've been using the Franklin "Yellows" since we dropped below freezing.
our court boards are only 6" tall, so keeping it on the ground means less digging it out of the bushes.
I'm glad to know we're not the only freaks playing this game with ice on the ground!

^I finally found a yellow franklin two days ago.

There's an inch of snow on the ground right now and we're gonna try it out at pickup tonight.

I'm afraid it might be too light, even if it doesn't break like the oranges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Case-of-MYLEC-Street-Hockey-Balls-45-balls_W0QQitemZ...

I'm going to bid and WIN this auction. Who wants to go in on it with me? I'm sure it will go over the opening bid, but if we do a group purchase, it'll be SUPER cheap for everyone. Madison, Minneapolis, Chicago?

www.mkebikepolo.com
www.mkebikepolo.com/wordpress

If you find red ones let me know :)

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

getting ready for the cold season this year, what are you guys planning on using? i know fixcraft is supposed to be coming out with a cold ball, but not sure when. is franklin still the favored cold ball?

memphisbikepolo.com

It gets cold in Memphis?

Thats why he has his coat on.

Winston Salem NC Bike Polo

Magic are doing 2 grades of cold balls, a medium one (good right now in Europe, 5-15 degrees C, 60-40 F), and a freezing one (5 to -5 degrees C, 40-20F).

We using prototypes at the moment, the medium ones were used at the Amsterdam tournament this weekend, and others have been using them too, they were perfect.

I'm expecting to go into production pretty soon, and I'm happy to work out a price to the US.

The medium balls were very good on the Amsterdam tournament.
I guess it was around 10-12 degrees.
I liked how the mediums balls behaved - hard, but not to bouncy, straight shots, etc.
Would have been a little to cold for Harveys balls and much to warm for orange Franklins.