Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

Clipless Mountain Bike Shoes?

Anyone have any recommendations on clipless mountain biking shoes for polo?

I snapped the plates on my Chrome Kursk's in less than a year and have no faith in the whole casual clipless market. I've been trying to get my hop on and I don't want to drop another another hundredish dollars on something that won't last and thought I could get something to use for mountain biking too.

Anyway Kursk's have been my only pair of clipless shoes. Some form of recessed cleat would be nice, I don't want to sound like a tapdancer, the Kursk's still had quite a bit of cleat rub until they wore down a bit.

some of the cheaper ones like the tahoe from sepcialized, and the $80 serfas shoe work well to play in. after i broke my chrome shoes, i've been using the specialized and it's been holding up. chrome sent me replacement shoes, but they sent the wrong size and i haven't got to wear them yet. so i mean, at least chrome will warrenty them for you.

I have my eye on the Mavic Rush/Razor. Performance has them on sale for under $100. They look solid.

Loved them at first, but after a about 6 months, they are about ready to fall apart. Even if I got new straps and buckles, the soles are starting to seperate, and the mesh upper is torn in places. That said, I could take them back tomorrow and get my money back, or exchange them.

northwave lizzard. cheap and good.

http://www.mtbdeals.com/footwear-mens/northwave-lizzard-pro-mtb-shoes-41...

The Bisons

I have a pair of the Mavic Alpines and I think they're awesome for polo.

I went the cheap route and got a nice older pair of Shimanos. After a year and a half of everything the sole broke off. I glued it back and half a year later I ordered a pair or Pearl Izumi. If you want to save some $ just check around ebay and find a nice older shimano or similar and use it till you see it tear like I did!

Winston Salem NC Bike Polo

i recommend getting something with a stiffer sole than most old shimanos or pearl izumis. That usually means getting into tap-dancing territory though. Unless there's something out there with a soft (hiking boot style) tread AND a stiff sole?

I liked the stiffness in my old shimanos. They were not as thick or heavy as my chrome but just as stiff with rubber at the bottom so no tap dancing. Are Pearls flexy? I am worried now.

Winston Salem NC Bike Polo

i guess it depends on the model of the old shimanos. For the pearl izumis, i have the ones sorta designed for touring and i think they're pieces of crap.

kev wrote:

i recommend getting something with a stiffer sole than most old shimanos or pearl izumis. That usually means getting into tap-dancing territory though. Unless there's something out there with a soft (hiking boot style) tread AND a stiff sole?

the tahoe is around that style, it's why i mentioned it. it's not as stiff as, say my sidis or specialized pros, but it's WAY stiffer than my chrome or DZRs. and it has that grippy grip i like. but theyre too heavy.

One thing worth mentioning is the bailout factor. I like DZR (or similar) because of the grippy sole. I can't imagine trying to dismount and walk out of a hairy crash with MTB shoes on. Maybe that's just me though.

http://leagueofbikepolo.com/forum/gear/clothing/2013/02/18/clipless-shoe...

Check the above thread too

I ended up going with DZRs. So far I'm really liking them, they're still and supportive but comfortable. I do like, and hadn't previously considered, the importance of the grippy sole. The thicker padding on the outside has saved my ankle on more than one occasion.

The ankle protection is certainly an awesome plus that DZR provides. I plan on ordering a new pair soon!

look at 5.10. They make quality shoes.
Stiff sole, recessed cleats and tough.

fuck ur face

Just got my 5.10 Cyclones. Padded high tops, lots of material all around. Haven't got a chance to play with them yet. They have no breathable mesh and the thick material makes me worried they may get really hot in mid-summer, but I've got no worries about the strength and padding.

Got a pair of Diadora Globes from western bike works website for under 50 bux and they have been wonderful. Highly recommend these shoes.

ive been using some older sidi's this season and i love them. ive used the specialized senomas and some dzr's also, but i like the sidi's the best. way too expensive i think so justify buying a pair just for polo, i found some at a swap.

NICE POLO