Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

Velo Lucuma custom order

Hey all,
Im in talks with Velo Lucuma figuring out a custom frame. Here's what I have so far, let me know what you think, any and most info would be appreciated. Here is what I want for sure:

triple triangle build
straight seattube
26" wheels
reverse canti on fork
sraight bladed fork
regular cantis rear
51cm frame (im 5"11)
etc etc etc.

What is more interesting is the following. I dont want to deviate much form what they have developed themselves, I can't imagine I could make a better polo bike than they could. The only modification I would like to do is the top tube angle. I like how the TT for "track" frames slopes down towards the headtube, and they suggested this would be possible if I went up 1 size on the seattube length and shortened the headtube somewhat to provide pretty much the same feel as a standard build. Anyone see any trouble with this?

thanks,
Zach

I recently purchased a Velo Lucuma 51cm frame, did not customize it, just went with their standard frame, and I think it's great (https://leagueofbikepolo.com/bike/drewcifer/the-dog-walker-20), however anything would be better than what I was previously playing on.

That said, wouldn't a down sloped TT put you in too aggressive of a position for polo? I'm sure you could get a better opinion from someone else who knows more about this, I could be wrong, but I feel like it would make you a little too hunched over? or is it really just an aesthetic thing?

It's more of an aesthetic thing. I just like the look of the straight top tube or downsloped more than the more downhill look. I think as long as you are in the same position in relation to the BB and bars, the TT angle shouldn't really change much. But I may be wrong about that.

As for your whip Drewcifer, it looks fun! Im curious though, how tall are you if you got a 51 frame?

according to my drivers license im 5'10"

my commuter and cross bikes are 53's though.

I like the fit of my 51 though for polo.

I bought a custom VeloLucuma just after he switched the brand from Marino. I went with a custom frame that essentially copied the geo. of the Joust, but included the triple triangle. It also is a size "58" which doesnt actually exist in the options for Joust sizes. I'm about 6' tall, with a 32" inseam, and the 58 frame fits me perfectly, almost too tall but not quite. 51cm seems kind of small for your height, but maybe you just like smaller bikes? I love my bike,handles great.

https://leagueofbikepolo.com/bike/mxkhn/maxs-velolucuma
^das it mane^

I felt like his "standard" build is a little too compact, with really short chainstays, which makes the bikes handle in a way that I really dont like (the best thing i can think of to describe it is "circus bike"). The other Marinos in Bloomington were all built w/ super-short chainstays and they seemed to have a tendency to ride kinda wildly when swerving at high speed. That said, it is my opinion, and i'm sure other riders really like the short chainstay/small wheelbase of his standard frames.

As for what you're planning on including for your bike, I can weigh in on a few of the details.

You're wanting a straight seattube, which means to accomodate the short chainstays it will be offset forward (not directly connected to the center of the BB), and braced at the bottom bracket. I also chose a straight ST, since I wasnt super into having it bent. See my bike photo to augment my poorly worded description. This isn't at all a problem, seems super solid, just something to be aware of.

Not sure what the purpose of the slanted TT would be, might result in a super short head-tube, and an overly "agressive" stance that you'd have to compensate for with stem risers, etc.

Also,you may want to reconsider the reverse canti mounts on the fork. It can be problematic when routing the cable/noodle and can bash against the downtube, scratching the paint and potentially damaging the brake assembly. I saw this happen on the other Marinos here, and got mine on the front instead, with a brakebooster/bashguard. I have yet to have any problem with my brake being hit or anything. I in fact did the opposite, and had the rear brake mounts put on the inside of the seatstays, rather than the outside. Not much reason, but theres no real reason not to i guess.

A final thing when you're working with VeloLucuma, make sure to be VERY clear about what you want. Marino is more than capable as a builder, but dealing with a middle man, plus the language barriers can lead to misunderstandings. I specified a headtube with an integrated headset, and didn't get one. Others I know have had similar problems, with brake mounts in the wrong place, wrong BB style, etc. As long as you lay out EXACTLY what you want, and make sure that the information is conveyed to Marino as you stated it, you should be fine.

Mxkhn wrote:

I bought a custom VeloLucuma just after he switched the brand from Marino. I went with a custom frame that essentially copied the geo. of the Joust, but included the triple triangle. It also is a size "58" which doesnt actually exist in the options for Joust sizes. I'm about 6' tall, with a 32" inseam, and the 58 frame fits me perfectly, almost too tall but not quite. 51cm seems kind of small for your height, but maybe you just like smaller bikes? I love my bike,handles great.

https://leagueofbikepolo.com/bike/mxkhn/maxs-velolucuma
^das it mane^

I felt like his "standard" build is a little too compact, with really short chainstays, which makes the bikes handle in a way that I really dont like (the best thing i can think of to describe it is "circus bike"). The other Marinos in Bloomington were all built w/ super-short chainstays and they seemed to have a tendency to ride kinda wildly when swerving at high speed. That said, it is my opinion, and i'm sure other riders really like the short chainstay/small wheelbase of his standard frames.

As for what you're planning on including for your bike, I can weigh in on a few of the details.

You're wanting a straight seattube, which means to accomodate the short chainstays it will be offset forward (not directly connected to the center of the BB), and braced at the bottom bracket. I also chose a straight ST, since I wasnt super into having it bent. See my bike photo to augment my poorly worded description. This isn't at all a problem, seems super solid, just something to be aware of.

Not sure what the purpose of the slanted TT would be, might result in a super short head-tube, and an overly "agressive" stance that you'd have to compensate for with stem risers, etc.

Also,you may want to reconsider the reverse canti mounts on the fork. It can be problematic when routing the cable/noodle and can bash against the downtube, scratching the paint and potentially damaging the brake assembly. I saw this happen on the other Marinos here, and got mine on the front instead, with a brakebooster/bashguard. I have yet to have any problem with my brake being hit or anything. I in fact did the opposite, and had the rear brake mounts put on the inside of the seatstays, rather than the outside. Not much reason, but theres no real reason not to i guess.

A final thing when you're working with VeloLucuma, make sure to be VERY clear about what you want. Marino is more than capable as a builder, but dealing with a middle man, plus the language barriers can lead to misunderstandings. I specified a headtube with an integrated headset, and didn't get one. Others I know have had similar problems, with brake mounts in the wrong place, wrong BB style, etc. As long as you lay out EXACTLY what you want, and make sure that the information is conveyed to Marino as you stated it, you should be fine.

The last paragraph is very true, when ordering my bike I CLEARLY asked for the travel 26er with couplers, but they sent me the 3 triangle without couplers, which I figured anyway since they charged me the price of the non coupler frame. In the end it wasn't a HUGE deal and saved me a few bucks, but I did want the couplers for easy travel. I also asked for no decals (just because i dont like them) and they didn't even acknowledge the request, which I understand if they refused to send it without decals since it is their brand and they want more people to buy it, but they didn't say one way or the other.

I'm gonna go ahead and call Marino out. My clubmate here was working down in Peru for 9 months and paid him cash for two frames. He hung out with Marino and saw his shop and actually saw most of his bike get built. Then Marino stopped responding to messages and calls... His house/shop is in a shady part of Peru so my friend didn't go back there to confront him.

I actually owned a travel Marino that I bought from a dude on craigslist that I ended up snapping the fork and breaking the frame shortly after. I told him I got it off craigslist but it was brand new and obviously manufacturing defects. I got quick replies from Marino (initially) and Velolucuma but worked through Velolucuma. They decided to send me a new frame and fork for cost of shipping (around $160 total) so I can't hate on them too much. Although, I would not have expected the frame and fork to break after owning it 6months and being 140lbs.

Then, Marino randomly emails me about a month ago asking if everything worked out. I told him yes ,and proceeded to ask about my club mates frames. No response.

Bottom line. I still rock a Velolucuma/Marino. Now a triple triangle frame (I just got when they had in stock because didn't trust Marino to make one in a decent amount of time if it all) and a new fork (supposedly heat treated). I have only had the new one a few months but I still don't trust the fork. I probably would be hesitant to order a complete frame from the due even though they are cheap and have got a lot of people started. Maybe just a frame, but with the way he Marino doesn't respond to emails and ripped my club mate off, I'd avoid them. Velolucuma seems to be a legit dude and responds in a decent amount of time ,but I think Marino is in over his head. My 2 cents.

If you're really worried about dealing with Marino directly, get a Hija de la Coneja. Alejandro from Barcelona designed them and deals with the shipping/cash. His english is pretty perfect as well. And so you don't have any of the stress involved. Super solid geo on the frames too.

Thanks everyone. Taking a look at Mxkhn's ride, that is pretty much exactly what I am after (though maybe a bit big). I don't mind a slightly longer chainstay, I've ridden friends Velo Lucuma's and Hija de la Conja's. I do appreciate the very responsive feel, but they do feel a little on the squirrel-y side. Nice to hear about the whole customization process. It isnt very clear and I seem to be dealing with 2 different people at his shop, sometimes telling me different things... Anyways, I think I'll just ask for a Joust-esque geo (w/ triple triangle) as a starting point and go from there.

Interesting about the reverse mounted brakes. My friend with the Lucuma was having trouble mounting his brakes, but I run a right handed brake and have awkward cabling right now, which leads me to believe having the brake reversed would make the routing more "correct"? Am I out to lunch on this?

As for the Hija's, my pal's fork tore up in the headtube. He's a fantastic rider, doesn't ever really take bad spills and weighs in probably at 150-160lbs. They're sending him a new fork no questions asked, but still it makes me a bit queasy thinking about it...

Thanks for the input, will update with my ordering experience if anyone is interested.

hah. I was just about to tell you not to get the reverse brake mounts. I forgot you were a lefty.

Also: maybe think about getting yourself some disc mounts.

also also: if there is an option to get the paint upgraded, do it. If not- let's try to get a group discount on powdercoats.

Preying mantis on the court and I can't be beat...

MusicSucks wrote:

hah. I was just about to tell you not to get the reverse brake mounts. I forgot you were a lefty.

Also: maybe think about getting yourself some disc mounts.

also also: if there is an option to get the paint upgraded, do it. If not- let's try to get a group discount on powdercoats.

Dave do you mean that I should get the reverse mounts as I AM a lefty? And do you have any complaints about your paint job? Other than your bike being hideous, is it a quality issue? <3

We are doing a Winnipeg bulk order (3 frames and some extra forks/bars) so I hope that they can handle what everyone wants, its got me a little worried.

I ordered a 51cm Velolucuma 26er travel frame about 4 weeks ago. I emailed Velolucuma, and have been dealing with "Florence", who seems to be some sort of liaison. Still no word on when the frame will be finished (all she would say is that the frame is "in production"), and after reading this thread, I hope they send me what I ordered. They charged me the price of a travel frame, so that's what I'm expecting, if & when it gets here.

I booked an overseas trip recently for late October, thinking that I would be able to bring the coupled frame with me & not get charged for oversize baggage. But the fact that it's taking so long, plus the fact that "Florence" only replies to about half of my emails, and this thread about messed up orders has me biting my fingernails a little.

I also dealt with Florence, she responded pretty quickly to me.
If you were charged for the traveler thats probably what you'll get..

I think what happened is when I ordered, I asked for a flat black finish and she responded within 15 mins of my original email saying that they had a flat black that was my size in stock and could ship right away, though she never mentioned it wasn't the traveler though. I only figured it out when she charged me $319 and not $399.

Im pretty sure Florence is based in Florida, and maybe she doesn't know about the status of the production if its being made in peru and then being sent to her? Though she should be able to get you an estimated time for it to be completed..

Is this just a thread to air grievances about Marinos? I can understand being upset when he messes up integrated versus regular head tube stuff, but the "shady part of Peru" stuff seems a bit tasteless.

The whole world is not super connected with mass communication.
The whole world is not a bourgeois neighborhood.

Just sayin.

From what I've seen, he's getting better at what he does, and I'm sure he'll continue to improve. I'm glad that he's found a way to produce an economy frame with polo geo. That's a super important market for the sport.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

people should know who they are buying from. not only does he mess stuff up frequently, but he ripped a club mate of mine off. you're taking the "shady part of Peru comment out of context. it's somewhere you don't go as a foreigner and my friend felt like he had no recourse because he couldn't just show up there on his own to talk to Marino (since he stopped responding). messing up on a integrated vs non integrated headset isn't a huge deal ,but sending a non travel frame instead of a travel frame is not a minor problem.

his frames/fork may be affordable and work, but for how long? a fork failure is a major problem. especially when they are breaking at the steer tube. i'm 140lbs and i broke a fork and a frame in 6 months. sure they replaced them, but how long will they last.

who was the "clubmate"?

if you can't share the details, you can't invoke the anecdotal evidence to try to prove your point.

i.e. pics or it didn't happen.

double post

the lesson is put that shit on AMEX... if there's a problem... they got your back.

it's johnnyrooster on here, not that it matters. i agree, it would have been nice if he had used a card... it was a cash deal in peru and he had bought a frame from marino before that got stolen. i have no reason to make shit up. Marino tarnishes his reputation enough. Aaron Hand just broke his fork at NA's and I've seen pics of several others. you get what you pay for and if i had to do it again, i would get something more local (which i plan to replace this with).

here's my broke shit...

• broken fork.jpg
  • broken frame.jpg
  • IMG_20130520_213130.jpg

did you use a card?

did aaron hand?

amex can help you.

dial 1800trolled.

racist.

it's cool, i hate everything peruvian too, except ayahuasca.

they replaced mine. see my original post. the point is, that it's a pretty catastrophic failure and not something that should be taken lightly. i know the frames are cheap ,but it's probably not worth worrying about your shit failing especially at a major tournament.

second, dude straight up stole my friends money and stopped responding. is that where you want your business going?

My fork broke because it was on a trunk rack that got back into another car. It had nothing to do with how it was put together. Marino can heat treat your forks to make them strong but that costs extra money. He can also make unicrown forks that are strong instead of the ones people are use to, but those vise more as well. Rustbelt makes a similar fork to the typical Marino fork and they are having problems with the fork breaking in the same spot. It's a design flaw not a Marino flaw. If people want to spend less and take the chance on a fork that isn't as good that's up to them. But if people spend a little more, they can have a bomb proof fork.

321polo.net

AirInHand wrote:

My fork broke because it was on a trunk rack that got back into another car. It had nothing to do with how it was put together. Marino can heat treat your forks to make them strong but that costs extra money. He can also make unicrown forks that are strong instead of the ones people are use to, but those vise more as well. Rustbelt makes a similar fork to the typical Marino fork and they are having problems with the fork breaking in the same spot. It's a design flaw not a Marino flaw. If people want to spend less and take the chance on a fork that isn't as good that's up to them. But if people spend a little more, they can have a bomb proof fork.

word, didn't know that about your fork. someone up above mentioned a friend breaking a marino unicorn hija fork. it's true people can spend their money where they want, but i'd also be sketched out because he ripped off john.

drewthomas06 wrote:

unicorn hija fork

jeffj][quote=drewthomas06 wrote:

unicorn hija fork

lol. probably stronger... and it looks better

awesome, thank you for chiming in. suck it, other guy from portland.

Hah, at getting in touch with your inner middle schooler

shotgun your bike!

you must be new around here... because everyone knows i often get in touch with middle schoo... nevermind.

since the NSA is listening, i swear i've never pushed tootsie rolls through a chain link fence.

lovin my lucuma. got a 58. I've crashed headfirst into lots of things, and the fork hasnt failed, but im wary. i got mine with the front brake normal, dont need the noodle looping weird.

i say go for it, good communication from them, and a great product. i dont find it squirrely at all, but it is a bigger frame.

Hey I'm new around here and I'm not sure what the statute of limitations is on replying to a dead thread is, but I've been trying to purchase a frame from Velo Lucuma for 2 weeks now and I haven't heard much from them.

I emailed then on October 23 and got an email right back saying they would be happy to help me find a frame I want, but that it would have to wait until Nov 1. They were traveling or something.

I sent another email on the 4th. Haven't heard shit.

Is this what it was like for any of you?

Thats strange, I haven't had any issues with getting a response from Velolucuma when I was ordering mine. (Though I had other issues) they were pretty prompt with emailing me back. Sometimes within a few hours.

I received my responses same day, same time of day too except once. I sent another and got a reply then. Go send another!

Winston Salem NC Bike Polo

Drewcifer wrote:

Thats strange, I haven't had any issues with getting a response from Velolucuma when I was ordering mine. (Though I had other issues) they were pretty prompt with emailing me back. Sometimes within a few hours.

What were your "other issues"? It seems like lots of people have "other issues" with Marino. this might be a moot point since they don't seem interested in my money.

Well I initially ordered the travel frame with couplers, but they sent me the normal one.. they did charge me for what they sent, but I clearly asked for the traveler.

Other than that major issue there is a slight language barrier, I don't think whoever I was speaking with understood what I was asking regarding matte black paint, and some other things.. it was a while ago, so I'm not entirely sure what else.

However, I love the bike.. it's a lot of fun to ride and for the price, you really can't beat it.

Yup. My coworker order a fat bike from Velo Lucuma and he ordered it with rack mounts. They shipped him one without rack mounts, but like you - they did not charge him for them. Still, annoying.
He offered to have my buddy ship the bike back and he would add them but who is going to go through all that?

Yeah, I considered sending it back, but I didn't want to go through the hassle with that. To me it wasn't a huge deal, it was more just for the convenience.. I don't travel that much anyway.

Ninetoe wrote:

It seems like lots of people have "other issues" with Marino.

Another 'issue' is breaking your face when your fork fails catastrophically at the bottom of the steer tube...

Buy Marino and pay the extra to get your shit heat treated. Velo Lucuma doesn't find it necessary to spend the extra money on heat treated frames/forks, and that's why they break. It's wrong to blame Marino for Velo Lucuma being a cheapskate.

321polo.net

You can't heat treat being a shitty welder.

Are you playing polo in COMO? Charlie has a lot of experience with FV and I know a number of COMO folks that ride Velo Lucuma/Marino frames.

Yes. I've been talking with them. Charlie has an opinion against Marino, but others seems to like them. I was just attracted to the lower price tag on the PoloLoco. But if Marino isn't going to talk to me I'm going elsewhere. This is bullshit.

I got fed up and emailed FV a few days back asking if they could build me a Joust Wide with disc brake mounts on the rear and the fork. I still haven't heard back from them either! Am I invisible to these people!?

Marino doesn't run Velo Lucuma. No need to harsh on Marino if you are trying to talk to the owner of Velo Lucuma.

321polo.net

Sorry, I still don't understand the relationship between Marino and Velo Lucuma.

Marino is like Waterford and Velo Lucuma is like Milwaukee Bicycle company. Does that make more sense?

321polo.net

As a newbie to the sport (and the market), no. That does not make sense.

I am under the impression that Velo Lucuma is a Marino brand. Something like: Velo Lucuma is to Marino as Frosted Flakes are to Kellog's.

Am I incorrect?

Please make this idiot-proof for me.

Your cereal analogy would be better were it ... as frosted flakes are to whatever factory makes frosted flakes and a bunch of other cereals. Marino is the frame builder. Velo Lucuma is a company that gets their frames built by Marino. As far as I am aware Marino does not own them at all but merely provides a frame building service for another company.

I see. Thanks.

But back to my pressing concern: How do I get my hands on a frame!? I've emailed Velo Lucuma and Fleet Velo and I've not heard anything. It's disappointing.

Sounds like if you want one of those two frames the only answer is to wait.

Or buy a Rustbelt Marco.
Or a Grand National.

Marino is a frame builder in Peru.

He mainly builds some awesome looking trials bikes:

http://marinobike.com/

But he also builds polo bikes (well any custom bike you want), and you can get them three ways.

Either you deal with him directly, and send him a custom geo, and he builds that for you. For example Rupert old bike.

Or you can go to one of the two companies, VeloLucuma or Hija De La Coneja, who have come up with their own geo, and deal with the customers, Marino builds the bikes in batches for them.

Thanks John! I couldn't have put it better myself. This is something I've been wanting to stress for a while.

321polo.net

Buy American (fuck yeah).

My bike came (after payment) around 5 weeks later. They were extremely slow getting back to me (around a week). But I got everything exactly as I asked. They also seem to have a new fork design. Maybe in response to the broken forks?

Rustbelt has a few medium Marcos and one small last time I talked to Lou. Base models, no bells and whistles. I don't know what default brake setup they choose. More $$$, but better steel, and you wouldn't have to wait.

It's prob because I ordered a Large but I've been waiting on my Marco since Sept 14th. Hasn't shipped yet but is supposed to ship any day, supposedly..

Aw, you've been waiting since September 14th?

Go ahead and ask Alias when he ordered his Marco...

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

Well there's a bit more to it than that. Lou is a good dude and a skilled artist. I'm happy to wait as long as need be. And I don't mean to be negative, but the timeline quoted to me at the time of the order isn't quite what I'm experiencing. Not crying about it but hey, business is business. Say what you do and do what you say, that's all. If you tell a customer something "should be ready in the next couple of weeks", they might start to get antsy after 7 or 8 weeks.

The real issue here is I sold my polo bike so now I have no bike to play on until my Marco arrives. My fault entirely. Not Lou's.
Was just hoping to play some polo beofre the snow starts falling. However Chicago doesn't seem to play polo anymore so maybe I have no cause for concern :P

DISCLAIMER: I am a bit of a whiner. Lou has been polite and helpful. He's kind of a hard guy to get ahold of, but he does aim to please and I fully support Rustbelt and anyone who wants to buy a Marco. Just know that quality takes time.

Let's not beat up on Lou here. It will be worth the wait. Can't wait to see the pics. Lou is better with a blow torch than with email, and that's okay. I waited 7+ months, and cursed under my breathe plenty, but I'm already super pleased with the product and quality.

I think Rustbelt is going away from custom, and going to batches. There won't be anymore collecting individual orders, just a dozen or so Marcos built each year, and announced when availible. That's good for them since they'll be able to fit it into their own schedule, and good for buyers because it will manage their expectations pre-emtively. I.e. - Want a Marco, we sell X of them in Y-month each year.

Not beating up on anybody. I complimented him as much as I complained. I've hung out w Lou before and played polo and he's a stellar dude.
I'm sure I'll be more than pleased with my Marco. I just want to build it and ride it already :)
I'm not a patient man.

Alias wrote:

I waited 7+ months, and cursed under my breathe plenty,

And every day on Facebook chat. I was feelin' your pain, buddy, as if the frame were my own :)

I got my Velolucuma Travel 26er four weeks after ordering. It was exactly as I ordered it, had no wrong, funky or jiggy (yes, jiggy) frame angles, and has currently held up through 3 tourneys, 2 plane trips (one of which was to Asia), multiple crashes, and Messmann stealing it overnight. I love the bike, and I'd buy another one for sure. I got what I paid for. Yeah, it's a budget polo frame, but I'm a shitty player & don't deserve a Joust.

Oh I get all the stuff about custom bikes taking time. Alias' bike is super sweet. It arrived last week. Beautiful paint, really good workmanship. Couplers, sliding dropouts, the whole nine. I'm unequivocally jealous. Anyone would be lucky to have that frame

Still, it took closer to 7 months than 7 weeks. It's one thing if you go into the order expecting that, but another if your delivery just keeps getting kicked farther down the road. It is certainly something I'll consider if I wanna order a polo frame any time soon.

If that's the lead time I've got to worry about, I'll probably just order a Polo Bruiser in the knowledge I'll have it in a few weeks.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

It's one thing if you go into the order expecting that, but another if your delivery just keeps getting kicked farther down the road.

Precisely. Manage the customer's expectations. That's all.

Lou emailed me today to let me know that the next batch of Large frames should be ready "late winter/early spring".

For real though, do you know what you'd want in geometry? I know what feels good when I'm riding it, but I'd be shit at actually designing a frame.

If you do know frame geo...
Directly contacting Marino or Grand National is not a bad option

If you don't know frame geo...
Fleetvelo (Waterford), Velolucuma, or Rustbelt might be a good choice. There are some other South American (PB&J, etc) and Yurp companies (Max Power, etc).

Waiting is definately a part of it since most of these are small runs on frames.

I don't have the mind for bike geometry. If I tried custom geo I'd end up with a bike I'll end up selling to a bar to hang on a wall because nobody will ride it.

All I know is that I want a strong light bike with a short rear end. My play style benefits more from being nimble than being fast.
A club-mate has a Fixcraft prototype frame that is my size. I'm pretty tempted to buy it just so I can get to building my bike. Does anyone know how that rides? I know the rear end is a little longer than what I've been looking at.

if you run the Fixcraft bike as 700 (not 26) then the back end isnt too long. it's a great 700 bike, not so good as a 26 bike.

321polo.net

Good to know. Thanks Aaron. I've already got my wheels built so its gonna have to be 26".

3 of us in East Van made an order at the same time. We got what we wanted from VeloLucuma, but one of the forks was 'previously installed' and had a cut steer tube. One of the frames had a dent in the top tube.
VeloLucuma had an irregular email response time; sometimes within a day/ same day, and other times I had to hound them with a few follow up emails.
All in all, we've witnessed Marino fork fails (steer tube gauge narrow and star nut pulls out), steer tube sheering off, and we've witnessed VeloLucuma fork fails. It's funny though how the forks that came with the Hijas had problems with the star nut holding and the steerers of the Pololoco didn't.

All 3 bikes that we ordered are still going, and no breaks so far. The geometry ( i'm a small frame w/ a 26" wheel) is so much fun! I'm a fan of all of the geometry design, and the fork length /rake / trail is so good.

After the problems with a used fork being shipped and a dented frame, the follow up was polite, and diplomatic. They gave me a credit for the fork (and I kept it, using it, because it happen to just fit my frame and steer tube prefferance) so they sent me a disc guard, and the credit / return on the dented frame had been worked out. In the end, someone locally had no probs with a dented frame, bought it, and is still on it today.

What I gather from asking around, what you ask for from VeloLucuma isn't necessarily what you're going to get. There's seems to be a substantial percentage of folks getting something other than what they initially asked for. Like us and some other folks, the difference wasn't great enough to warrant returning and the aggravation of waiting all over again. But it is extremely unprofessional. A brand needs to grow by being consistent at least. And that isn't the case here.

If you win the draw of getting exactly what you asked for and get a fork that has no manufacturers failure, then the bikes are super fun! So much so, that I'd buy another, but maybe think twice about the fork.

yup

I finally got them to respond to me. It took me writing an email that read something to the effect of:

"Hey. It's me (again). You know I want to buy your frame. I'm getting the feeling you don't want my money. Contact me real soon if that's not the case."

They emailed me back minutes later and told me they would check what they've got in stock in the US and email me again on Tuesday. This was on a Sunday. Tuesday came around and they emailed me a list of their 26ers in stock. I placed my order that day. It took me sending them 2 more emails to get them to send me a tracking number. I should get my frame in 5 days. I got a frame with both v-brake and disc brake tabs. Its supposed to be an additional $15 to have both brake options, but they waived the charge as an apology for their delay in responding to me.

I'm excited to have it finally and I'm crossing my fingers that everything is fine with the frame because I'm pretty done with trying to communicate with them.

I did drool over a Volume Thrasher though.. a lot.. would be nice. They're discontinued, but you can still find them here and there.
oh but if one is looking for a 26" wheel, they're intended for 700c.

just want to chime in here as a frame builder. there was a comment earlier that the fork design is flawed with the Marino forks. the segmented crown design is used quite a bit for mountain bikes with few issues. looking closely at the Marino fork, i noticed that the steerer tube is not butted(or if it is, the tube wall is not thick enough in the welded crown area). with segmented crowns, there are more stress risers created by the multiple welds. this is why the unicrown design is considered stronger, but this is only if the tube wall and tube diameter are adequate for the expressed purpose. most builders who make segmented crown design forks overbuild them to deal with the added stress risers. i personally use a steerer tube with the thickest butted section i can find and i use .058"x1.125" tubing for the segments and .049"x1.125" tubing for the blades. if the rider is heavy, i will do .058" all around or maybe go even heavier for the short segments. this is specifically for polo forks which take more abuse than MTB forks. as for heat treating. most builders dont do it. hanging out with Max Power, he told me that he does, but heat treating will not help if the fork is underbuilt in the first place. if any of my segmented forks fail, i intend to start getting them heat treated. many polo players are moving toward front brake only and disc brake setups which puts a huge amount of stress on the fork. if you are worried about breaking your fork, use v brakes and a double brake setup and dont crash full speed into walls.

I'm using a double brake. Front heavy, but still have a skid now and again, so I know that the rear brake is actuating I suppose.
However.. speaking of segmented forks

http://www.gussetbikes.com/products-information.php?id=FKGUJ3K

Three guys here in DC use the Gusset fork with Surly Steamrollers. 405mm axle to crown. Pretty good setup IMO.