Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

What head are you using?

I'm starting to see a lot of companies coming out with new and improved heads. What head are you using? If you make your own, tell us how you made it. If you're buying heads, what do you like about it?

I am currently using the Eighthinch V2 mallet head.
Eighthinch V2

Pros:
Super secure mounting
Simple one bolt mounting
Comes with two flush mount caps and screws
Very light yet strong
Side cut-outs great for ball handling and quick "snags"

Cons:
The nylon seems to wear out fast

Overall I would definitely buy another one. I have been using it for 4 months and it hasn't quit yet. Also for $14 bucks you couldn't as for a more ready to go mallet head that is super quick to install.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars

-Aron

I actually just ordered that! Should be here on Monday and I'm really looking forward to it.

Hadn't see this before. Cheaterliscious! Does Machine write hate mail to 1/8 Inch? Mitt Romney thinks he might, if Mitt Romney gave a poop.

What's up with the tape? Seems kinda like wearing extra socks for shoes that don't fit.

Instead of just re-hashing the millions of arguments about 1/8" mallet heads, I'll just add that they'll be illegal for any tournament play. The side cut-out seems like it would be far too large to fall within the NAH's rulebook.

Just won one of these in a tournament. Seeing as how my home made orange got destroyed by a laser beam smacking it.

Looks tight with a matching pole and I finally have a fancy side hole. More caps too!

Why do you only have one side capped? For slugging it around behind you?

Winston Salem NC Bike Polo

This thread is fake. I'm calling shenanigans.

I'm at a bike shop right now and can see Lomax. That post is fake.

Jack Crowe
"If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

I've never used anything other than ski poles and ABS. Just trying to see what all of the hype is with designed heads.

From sf?

You know who has brand new accounts, types with perfect capitalization/punctuation/grammar, and uses Eighth Inch mallet heads with the huge side scoop on this site? Bots and narcs. Still calling shenanigans.

that 1/8 inch headis a huge improvement over the old one, but i think ST. CAGO is heads and shoulders over that thing in weight, durability, price and versatility. the 1/8 i guess is a great, easy starting head, but you can't beat the st. cago for value.
right now my three i go between are the arena build up, a milk/fixcraft and a northern standard feather with a magic. i don't have a clear cut favorite yet, but the magic build is so fucking light. and after i hurt my wrist, it's been the best to allow me to still play.

I am flattered that you complimented my grammar, but no I am not a fake person. I just started playing polo back in September 2012. So, yes I am new but not a robot troll or anything. I love this head, although I have a dual capped, super drilled, ABS head that I like very much too. It really just depends on how I am feeling that day.

-Aron

Milk:
Ninja HEAD cap with tough pole. Really tought, average weight, good for the first 2/3 o a session or a tourney day.
Then I when my wirst, thumb or index finger, get tired I switch for a simple cap milk head, heavier, but with a light shaft. More balanced and easier to handle, but you can get your pole bend on a huge strike.
I tried same kind of set up with a light northern standard light shaft. Cool as well but fragile too.

Never play with another head than a milk since more than on year and half now, first because the brand born in our club, in the family so that's easy to get some, and secondly I didn't had any real desire to play with anything else since I tried it.
Also a Simple way to attach the head to pole, secure and light. Quick head switch.

I've been hearing great things about the MILK gear, but they are on the more expensive side. Not to mention, that shipping would be a bit extensive. haha.

I use two right now. A piece 4.5 inch piece of white UHMPE "cheater pipe" and a single cap st.cago 4.5 inch both on a fix craft xt shaft. No drilling and people say they are too heavy but they seem to do fine for me. For the attachment of the head I file small teeth onto the end of the shaft with a needle file and than tap the end of the shaft to a 6x1mm thread and use a pan head stainless bolt.

Keep your standards low, and morale high.

all you need right here! http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1780&zenid=6cdc...

lightweight heads 7075 shafts etc etc where is hewitt he should be putting up these links..:)

also JoshuaDuncan did you try searching in the SEARCH box up top for mallet tips and companies?

I did search up mallet heads in the search bar under the forum tab, but not at the very top of the page. I apologize if I missed another thread discussing this.

i'm wasting money so that you don't have to..

I'm doing the same thing, but i didn't spend the money, so i might not be as brazen as you.

ha, yr definitely smarter than me!

i've been given/won a few things from time to time, so for this review i wanted to be absolutely impartial (especially since one of the factors i'm reporting on is cost)

milk standard one cap + magic bike polo emerald head

12cm HDPE, 3,8mm wall with enough holes to become about 55gr. Combined with a 7075 shaft 0,8mm wall using a coupler from fisher with an alu bolt. Cut to pieces an old couch for grippy leather grip. Light, cheap, simple and rock solid.

This 1/8 head shown here is supposed to be non-legit now.
As far as I remember the rules say "any hole in the mallet should not exceed the ball size in any direction" (correct me if I'm wrong). I understand it that even if the hole is oval, the wider part of the hole should be under 65 mm.

IN CHAIN WE TRUST

Rigavelo wrote:

This 1/8 head shown here is supposed to be non-legit now.
As far as I remember the rules say "any hole in the mallet should not exceed the ball size in any direction" (correct me if I'm wrong). I understand it that even if the hole is oval, the wider part of the hole should be under 65 mm.

that god that we're taking away peoples ability to use what equipment they find comfortable to make sure they don't have any misconceived advantages. I really hope that they ban 2 finger brake levers next because it's not fair to those using three finger levers.

wut?

YasMada wrote:

wut?

*thank god.... confused me too. i just find it stupid to worry about the size of a hole in the side of a mallet because some people are worried that it offers an advantage that doesn't really pan out, and compared it to something as arbitrary as how many fingers you can use on to activate your brake, as that also doesn't really have any real n play advantage.

YasMada wrote:

wut?

*thank god.... confused me too. i just find it stupid to worry about the size of a hole in the side of a mallet because some people are worried that it offers an advantage that doesn't really pan out, and compared it to something as arbitrary as how many fingers you can use on to activate your brake, as that also doesn't really have any real n play advantage.

well, it does provide an advantage. otherwise why would we have regulation against it? you can trap the ball like a ball joint with it, and when you practice it its nearly impossible for a ref to see, thus a rule. you can argue with me or the rule-set, your call.

YasMada wrote:

well, it does provide an advantage. otherwise why would we have regulation against it? you can trap the ball like a ball joint with it, and when you practice it its nearly impossible for a ref to see, thus a rule. you can argue with me or the rule-set, your call.

i love how many rules there are to dumb this game down to keep people from getting "advantages" but you know. whatever, man. it's just like, your opinion.

Unsurprisingly I use a Magic head. And I'm very happy with it. But I would say that ;)

What a shill!

But I tell ya what, I'll forgive you if you send a couple of those green heads on down here to DC...

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

got a Magic head and shaft last weekend at GLWC, and i was also impressed with them both. so i picked up a second head from the prize table. i also split my games with my Modified Arc4 head. it also was pretty good! so i'm stoked to be using them both till death, in the next couple games. you guys should get some!

-416polo-

Milk Black Ninja head on a Creamy shaft. Beech connector (thanks lomax)

lancasterpolo.com
agile for my size.

Post photos, spread the gospel.

Fixcraft by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night... all day.

Creamy mallet with the alchemy head super light super tough

Fixcraft LT with Alchemy head & St. Cago coupler/Creamy shaft with Fixcraft Ultralight 2500 head & lomax hardware.

D FENS

I'm alternating between four different setups.
OG Fixcraft shaft (the black ones when they came with a sticker)-uncapped Mcmaster-Carr UHMW (lots of holes)
Fixcraft LT-St.Cago single caped HDPE head
NS shaft-uncapped UHMW (lots of holes)
Fixcraft LT-St.Cago capped HDPE

I love the St.Cago heads for shooting. Capped heads are the way of the future in this regard, but I prefer the way UHMW reacts when shuffling and dribbling. The HDPE feels too slippery. A player in our club has some Magic heads on the way and I'm excited try them out, especially after reading all the good words above about them. Personally, I'm placing an Alchemy order today or tomorrow.

Anyone have any preferences of UHMW/HDPE or is diameter more important?

Also: ArnoldTLH hooked me up with the Creamy connector, and it it by far the most intuitive and hassle free mounting system so far. Absolutlety worth the $3.99.

try a 6x1mm tap. its cheaper over the long run.

edit: not the answer for everyone.

I love the creamy stuff, but I gotta say this mounting method is pretty craptastic.
The screw head is smaller than the opening at the end of the shaft, so it just pulls the plastic through into the shaft.
I had to modify mine with a small washer and part of a fixcraft connect kit to get it to work for more than a game.
With those modifications though, it is my favorite mallet.

You'll see. Unless you drilled out your eyes because they were too heavy.

I haven't tried the new mounting without a washer, but mine shipped with the washer and it works flawlessly.

"External tooth locking washer" is what ya want. With that, I haven't had to tighten or adjust mine since game 1.

Oh, mine came with that as well, it was rather small and toothy and tore through the head material. I needed a washer simply to make the head of the screw bigger, not to dig into the already soft plastic.

You'll see. Unless you drilled out your eyes because they were too heavy.

Weird. I haven't had that problem at all (of pulling the head through the plastic).

Magic like a boss.

Creamy Alchemy head, Creamy shaft

So yummy

Alchemy head is my new fav but I recently got a Milk mallet and that setup is pretty awesome.

MILK ninja head with Magic shaft, feels sweet as fuck

Can't put down the Modifide Arc head..but I'm biased because I designed it... for a specific style of play...
http://www.modifidebikepolo.com/

• Screen shot 2013-04-06 at 2.55.15 PM.png
saldebus wrote:

Can't put down the Modifide Arc head..but I'm biased because I designed it... for a specific style of play...

agreed. while i don't find it to be the best shooting head (which may be, in this case my fault) i do find it to be one of the best handling heads i've used so far.

saldebus wrote:

I am really curious to try this head.. I messed around with one a little from someone who has one. I think it would take some getting used to, but my only concern is in goal, if you have your mallet down to keep balance, it seems to slip.

Also, it also seems like you would get a little more power out of shuffle passes, since there isn't as much friction between mallet and court, those who have tried it, do you think this is the case?

I used Steve's shorty version of the arc (4") on the weekend and quite liked it. I have been using his "Hammer" head (straight sided, 5") as well as his 0.8mm shafts and I really like them. I'm not a big hitter but I've found that I can get a pretty hard shot without the need to wind up big. A considered and firm hit will result in a lot of speed. I did drill out the "Hammer" to lighten it.

I was initially unconvinced about the shaped heads. The 4" Arc makes scooping shit quite silly easy. Not that I'm getting all fancy with the "wave-your-mallet-with-a-ball-cupped-in-it-all-around-like-you-just-don't-care" but the ID and the short head help a guy like me be a little better than merely capable. Shuffle passes just fine, perhaps a little easier since the curve helps centre the ball. I have not noticed any extra benefits for my shooting but I did watch Shane from TO at the "Welcome to the Valley" tourney send consistently blistering shots at goal with a shorty Arc. I drilled mine to lighten it, he did not.

Pushing the ball around is odd with the arc, time will tell but I'm so used to straight sided heads that the curved sides seemed awkward to me. Just a practice issue I think. I use the ends more for ball control with a 4" head.

I don't have any comparisons to other UHMW heads in regard to slipping when tripod-ing. They do seem slippery though, however it'll depend on court surface to what degree of lean out you can get before the head slips out. BUT I try really hard not to rely on my mallet for balance in goal. I want to be able to send out a quick stab at an attackers impending shot without worrying about falling off my bike. Keep that mallet mobile.

l'autre_Paul wrote:

I used Steve's shorty version of the arc (4") on the weekend and quite liked it. I have been using his "Hammer" head (straight sided, 5") as well as his 0.8mm shafts and I really like them. I'm not a big hitter but I've found that I can get a pretty hard shot without the need to wind up big. A considered and firm hit will result in a lot of speed. I did drill out the "Hammer" to lighten it.

I was initially unconvinced about the shaped heads. The 4" Arc makes scooping shit quite silly easy. Not that I'm getting all fancy with the "wave-your-mallet-with-a-ball-cupped-in-it-all-around-like-you-just-don't-care" but the ID and the short head help a guy like me be a little better than merely capable. Shuffle passes just fine, perhaps a little easier since the curve helps centre the ball. I have not noticed any extra benefits for my shooting but I did watch Shane from TO at the "Welcome to the Valley" tourney send consistently blistering shots at goal with a shorty Arc. I drilled mine to lighten it, he did not.

Pushing the ball around is odd with the arc, time will tell but I'm so used to straight sided heads that the curved sides seemed awkward to me. Just a practice issue I think. I use the ends more for ball control with a 4" head.

I don't have any comparisons to other UHMW heads in regard to slipping when tripod-ing. They do seem slippery though, however it'll depend on court surface to what degree of lean out you can get before the head slips out. BUT I try really hard not to rely on my mallet for balance in goal. I want to be able to send out a quick stab at an attackers impending shot without worrying about falling off my bike. Keep that mallet mobile.

Thanks for the in-depth response, I did just place an order for both the Arc and the Hammer to see which I would like better. I've only heard good things about these heads so hopefully I will be just as satisfied.

l'autre_Paul wrote:

Thanks for the in-depth response, I did just place an order for both the Arc and the Hammer to see which I would like better. I've only heard good things about these heads so hopefully I will be just as satisfied.

After using the little Arc and the Hammer I definitely prefer the Hammer over the little Arc. A personal thing but I couldn't get a "feel" for the Arc. Sadly for me it felt dull in my hand for ball handling and shooting. I really wanted to like it but I've returned to the Hammer and it feels so good. I've never used the bigger Arc, so maybe that feels quite different.

I also picked up one of the new FixCraft Tournament heads, the new super light ones. Sooooooo light. Dragging and pushing the ball with the straight sides feels predictable. Shooting or passing with the closed end feels sharp but perhaps due to the weight doesn't seem to send rocket balls (a subjective thing anyway). But so light it's very easy to move it around quickly, perhaps good for the more subtle approach. And I like the cleat system. The Hammer feels like aids my rather feeble shooting but does feel noticeably heavier. Hard to pick a favourite from these two right now. Horses for course perhaps.

I've just gotten my Creamy/Alchemy mallet together a couple weeks ago. It is a little different coming down from the Fixcraft 2500 / Portland heads (because of the smaller diameter), but I am getting used to it.

It seems to have a very distinct pop on the chip shots, even if it doesn't have the heavy hitting power of the Portland head.

New http://benscycle.blogspot.com/2013/04/new-product-milwaukee-bicycle-cos-...

just made this one tonight... gonna test it out tomorrow.

you realize you can't use that in a tournament, right? it ain't 2009 no more!

Trust me I'm nowhere near good enough to play in a tournament.. haha..

but point taken, I'll have to look up the rules for mallet head openings and come up with something else..

Hey man, DFL gets some sick prizes sometimes

modified arc!