Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Riding in Circles

going to jail for playing polo

Ok it's sunday night I just watched the packers get beat by the cardinals and joe burge texts me "in jail" i respond "what?" he responds "gara/e (garage) busted." the garage is where we play in the winter. so my roommate shay linkus goes to check out the garage and sure enough all the beer is in the garbage can and no one is there. this is all happening right now so I don't know how many of us are in jail or what the charges are. shay took a car to jail to see if he could figure out what's going on. has this happened to anybody before?

fuck

been calling all the numbers I have. Heads up, please. This sucks.

i wasn't there today. i talked to Guthrie and i've been calling people. He knows nothing more right now and I haven't gotten in touch with anyone else who does. hang tight.

they are waiting to be processed right now. so who ever was there was arrested.

mad_sam (not verified)

So, this is an interesting development. Kind of an overboard response from whoever.

what is an interesting development? multiple people were arrested in MKE tonight at sunday night polo.

mad_sam (not verified)

I knew they were shoo-ing you guys off every few weeks or so, it's interesting that they decided arresting a bunch of people would be a good idea. I'd think Milwaukee police would have better things to do.

i got arrested on my way to polo for riding a bicycle in the road this summer. it all depends on what they found and why they arrested them. they will probably charge them with whatever they can. i got disorderly conduct/ non violent resisting arrest and it cost a ton of money. shit is fucked. good luck

bike polo hotline

ab wrote:

i got arrested on my way to polo for riding a bicycle in the road this summer

WTF!? Where is this? Most places it's illegal to NOT ride your bike in the road. Cops constantly bitch at people for riding on sidewalks here, and rightfully so. Shit is dangerous.

OGT-COMOPOLO

Bike Polo Ronin

this blows. But man, that packers game was impressive. Too bad they couldn't pull it out.

Lucky for us in East Van, the police have hard drug users and alcoholics and people dying in the sun in our park to deal with, so the smoking and drinking that goes on at the courts is professionally overlooked. We even break up arguments and inform police of other things ahappening.
Sorry to hear your polo-istas got busted. Trespassing charges at the least I suspect...making an example of you. Crappy.
Keep us posted.

f-ing! i'd hoped to play in the garage this coming weekend. sorry dudes.

CHICAGO

the dark end (aka Bobb Todd, Marzipan, B.R. Fuck Face)

sheesh, sorry to hear this. Hopefully it all gets sorted out and charges get dropped. How serious is possession there?

Kite

EVBP

EVBP
nsbikepolo.com

fuckin-a! i love the garage! and i love joe burge! wtf!

icycle/cykel/自行車/das Fahrrad/polkupyörä/bicicletta/bicicleta/reiðhjól/fiets/يَرْكَبُ درّاجة هوائ

fuck guys. who all is in the klink? good thing our league doesn't give suspensions for possession.

I checked the MKE inmates webpage and joe and kremin were released. shay drove there to check on them. And yes the packers should have won

Thankfully. What were the charges?

MMMMMBOP

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

glad to hear of freedom. did pabst bail them out?

link to that page?

face of a criminal

---------------------------
carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

kremin your nose is too long

Where are the Burge photos? Sorry Joe, I hope everything's ok but....holy shit.

he's in the inmate registry, but his picture is missing.

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

How did you get those? I mean, I only see one photo for Kremin and I can't even click on it. MKE Sheriff's page SUUUUUUCKS!

a little bit of url magic

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

brilliant.

You know what? That sloppy URL protection in and of itself is illegal.

only if the information is private. when it's inmates you're talking about, everything is public.

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

Their website is shit. Kev, you should offer your services in exchange for all charges dropped!

i nominate drizz

we get kicked out of a new garage every few days in kc. fortunately the police have better things to do and have allowed us to play when they've spotted us, but paul blart is on it. and he can't really do anything.

this is fucking absurd! playing polo is like smoking crack i guess!

BIKE POLO FREEDOM MOVEMENT 2010

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/10/063030010_0...
http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/10/063030010_1...

still waitin on the rest?

MMMMMBOP

you bad ass bri!

MMMMMBOP

That is one intense mug!

Looks like there is going to be some new pictures for the boards

Dude! This sucks! Way to take one for the team.... Fuck the man!

Midwest is best!!

Apparently bike polo IS a crime.

Ride, bake, polo, repeat.

Ride, bake, polo, repeat.

Burge

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/10/062165510_0...
http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/10/062165510_1...

Good luck boys & girls. Cops are A-holes.

i'm calling it now. the Kremin/Bri/Burge mugshot polo t-shirt... on sale at Ben's cycle in 2 weeks.

the cops must have heard "10 year old, molester stache" and came running.

Hewitt

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/11/084974810_0...

a brand new guy got picked up too. It is his third time playing

Matt, ever the brofessional
you play with my team, you playin with my emotions

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/11/084523910_2...

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/10/081930410_0...

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/11/058904210_0...

Damn that sux, looks like they got all the best players too

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/10/081930410_0...

Poor Nicole. She is a good friend of ours and just came to hang out and watch, but that only lasted 5 minutes before the boys came and arrested her too!

www.mkebikepolo.com
www.mkebikepolo.com/wordpress

her only crime is being the best polo fan ever

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/11/080343610_0...

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/11/032391910_0...

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/11/000381610_0...

Haha fuckin Zack. The only one smiling

always having fun
you play with my team, you playin with my emotions

the kid is so pure. boomboomboom

Move back to MKE bet busted. Welcome home?

or the cause?

http://www.inmatesearch.mkesheriff.org/BookingImg/2010/01/10/090302910_0...

^ I think that girl goes to polo

Her name is Kelly. She started playing back in November.

Midwest is best!!

geez did they bring out the paddy waggon.

i was just relased at 3 am with dillman. shay picked us up. $263 dollar ticket. 6 plus hours of jail not knowing what was going on the entire time.
http://www.mkebikepolo.com/wordpress/

140x65

Ouch. $263?

Lemons from lemonade, polo bust = milwaukee midnight photo op.

Did you guys at least get to play some bagminton?

I mean after all if we were the TPB we get out of jail at the beginning of each season, spend our time growing dope and playing polo then at the end return to jail for the dumbest crime we committed all season

What were the charges?

Chicago Bike Polo 2003-2008
St Louis Bike Polo 2008-fun

Retired.

I think that the milwaukee club should make this political. If you have any press contacts call them, call your alderpersons, get business owners to call the sheriff's office and complain. When cops over react it is easy to win the PR battle.

Because publicly humiliating cops is a great way to get them to leave you alone.

If the police did over-react and the charges were minor, raising a fuss may help you negotiate a better place to play with the city. However, if none of y'all got beaten, and/or if any of y'all got busted for carrying/doing anything serious, it will be a lot harder to gain mainstream public sympathy.

Retired.

i disagree and i think this would be an important point to make for the milwaukee bike polo club. They can spin this about playing a sport and the cops show up and make a stink. Even skate boarders get good PR out of this kind of thing.

yeah skateboarders just kept skating in public then eventually cities or parks depts just built them skate parks to try to keep them out of public facilities. maybe the milwaukee county should just build a us a court
www.mkebikepolo.com

when i first heard about this mess my initial thought was "shit, its not like they were skateboarding... its winter so they must have to pick on someone else." as a skateboarder, i agree with jake, the best way to get the city to build you some shit is to make it abundantly obvious that theres a dire need for a sanctioned facility. in my experience pettitions and board meetings have all been useless. but milwaukee has never stepped up in that department whatsoever, and somehow its 2010, skateboarding is way bigger than little league baseball, and there is still no city-provided place for people to shred. as the polo players have done [which is one thing i really love and respect about the game], mke skaters took it upon themselves to make thier own park/spot five years ago, and its been a pretty successful and self-sustaining hub since. there are a few privately owned businesses around, but thats still not satisfying. can you imagine having to pay ten bucks everytime you wanted to play polo? or wait for the next time slot to even get onto the court for a few hours? bottom line, the parks dept needs to step up and the cops should focus thier energies on the real trouble. the matt h mugshot is fucking amazing.

flickr.com/photos/danehaman

lucky wrote:

If the police did over-react and the charges were minor, raising a fuss may help you negotiate a better place to play with the city.

Actually, we argee.

Retired.

I heard everyone was taken aside and questioned.

"Is this your spoke card... Number 2?"

spoke card

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

January 10th, 2010 MKE County Garage, where were you?

Trespassing on state property, under a highway viaduct in Chicago.

I was trespassing on Bus property playing polo in a garage as well. Funny how so many of us spend our Sundays at the Church of Polo.

kieth_8x5
evidence, Keith, you are going to jail. 11 degrees under the bridge.

MKE 05-06
CHI 07-Pres.

MKE 05-06
CHI 07-Pres.

Mr. Fierce

CHICAGO

the dark end (aka Bobb Todd, Marzipan, B.R. Fuck Face)

Playing polo legally. Savages...

MMMMMBOP

mad_sam (not verified)

FREE MKE BIKE POLO

Hey everyone-
i just spoke with a player who was arrested and he gave me the rundown.

3 sherrifs (the garage is county land so not city cops but 3 sherrifs rolled up) told everyone to get against the wall and cited them for tresspassing a 260$ citation and basically like a speeding ticket. so the taking to jail i still am not sure of why that was done. The players who were last let out were there for 11 hours. yes they were tossed into a paddy wagon. the parks dept worker basically ratted us out to the sheriifs but this week was the first time they found the time to get over to snag us. I should have been there, but was unable to last minute.

im sure when the arrested players get some sleep they will be on here to tell thier side from the front lines.
www.mkebikepolo.com

BICYCLE POLO IS NOT A CRIME

flickr: stream | polo --- twitter

blargh | flickr: stream \ polo | twitter

Get the stickers made with Kremin's mugshot on there. Should read: Bike Polo Is Not a Crime.

as much as i agree with this sticker folks lets not get ahead of ourselves. This situation can be looked at from multiple angles but in the end has been labeled trespassing, or using an empty parking structure on county parks land on a sunday afternoon to play a recreational game in the middle of winter. A game that does no harm to the actual structure or surface of the county facilities. it merely generates trash that the parks dept guy has to come by and pick up once a week, which he is already doing anyway.

www.mkebikepolo.com

We've actually been taking the trash bag out of the garbage so the park worker doesn't have too! That's how respectful MKE bike polo players are.

www.mkebikepolo.com

lookin' good, butt-head!
what kind of hoops did you have to hop for your whip?

MBPCody

Poloist, you are the terrorist!

this is ridiculous. i want to know more information before i form a complete opinion, but right now it seems like the cops were just flexing nuts at the expense of people who were otherwise doing no harm.

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

I think that's in their job description.

"You will be required to flex nuts at the expense of people who were otherwise doing no harm." - Milwaukee County Uniformed Officer training manual.

Don't forget, they also give tickets with huge amounts of money in order to "Earn their pay",

--From Denver--
name:Max Davidoff: (Just like the cologne/cigarettes but I don't carry any of that)
bike:1997 leader 52cm, 34-18 Fixed, chopped handlebars, emergency brake.
Tourneys: Denver, Austin 09, CoMo 09

I like the train of thought that trespassing is what skateboarders do, so the city built them skateparks... so let us get outraged about the so called trespassing of our east coast brethren, and let us incite mayhem until the city creates bike polo courts for us all.

I have a dream, a dream that one day, all polo-istas will not be outlawed and out casted.

Also, time to delete threads about liberating pipe material before going public.

--From Denver--
name:Max Davidoff: (Just like the cologne/cigarettes but I don't carry any of that)
bike:1997 leader 52cm, 34-18 Fixed, chopped handlebars, emergency brake.
Tourneys: Denver, Austin 09, CoMo 09

http://www.milwaukeeworld.com/blog/2010/01/sheriff-plays-hardball-with-b...

www.mkebikepolo.com

see the real story in about 5 mins on our blog click below
http://www.mkebikepolo.com/wordpress/

140x65

I agree with taking this public though I don't see Milwaukee building us any courts any time soon, or ever. I think we can still reley on sharing unused space and have a strong case for it (parking garage? ice rink in july?).

Milwaukee, sorry I had to work and that I wasn't there to get arrested with you, especially kelly. Those mugshots are badass. Is it about time for that fundraiser party yet??

I miss the times when a cop would just drive thru our games and leave.

cait wrote:

...we can give you each a $400 ticket for not having a permit." I say "I don't understand, it's a county park right? What if we'd been playing foursquare or basketball?" And he responds immediately with "Do you want a $416 ticket?" And "You would need a permit for that too."

So I don't think we're going to get a straight answer from them.

Whatever happens with this, be careful in your conversations with your Parks Dept. They will try to pull this sneaky shit, and you have to be prepared to catch them being inconsistent so they can't just pull stuff out of thin air.

Even though we have been granted our own court for polo here in Lexington, one of the Parks Dept guys I speak with regularly is always bringing up talk about us forming a "League" - meaning, he wants us to be like soccer and roller hockey, where you have all these kids paying $75+ per season, with those monies going back into Parks' coffers. I have to tell him that bike polo isn't like that... that we don't have a "season";we play all year long in all kinds of weather, we don't have set teams and even though we have a lot of players here, our numbers still don't even come close to the numbers of people who play other seasonal sports. Any money we would milk out of bike polo players would be nominal at best.

As it stands, they leave us alone to play whenever we want, but if they were to catch wind that we wanted to host an actual tournament, they would be all over us wanting permits and insurance and who knows what else.

What sucks about all this, is that a traditional sport like pick-up basketball being played in a city park gets absolutely no heat from anyone. No one cares about that. With bike polo, they don't exactly know what to make of it, so they're unsure whether to run you off, or try to find ways to make money off you.
{}------- lexington -------{}

Yeah, this same thing goes on in Chicago. If we weren't playing in an area that no one at the Parks or with city gives a shit about, we'd be paying.

Milwaukee Bike Polo: Are you sure your charges are serious enough? TM

MBPCody

cait wrote:

I miss the times when a cop would just drive thru our games and leave.

-or hangs out to watch.. sigh

MBPCody

When will the fundraiser party be? As long as its not this weekend I would love to come and contribute to the cause. No one should have to pay their fees all by themselves. I heart MKE bike polo!!

Midwest is best!!

ROMAN COIN.

I think it would be wise to let this business simmer a bit- let everyone cool off, so that the correct approach attitude and angle can be determined. Talking to the cops would not be wise. A county supervisor would probably be the one to speak to- But shit needs to be straight, and we can't go in all hot and pissed. My uncle is the head of the DPW. let me get a hold of him, find out which suit we'd need to speak to to get anything done properly- It is all buerocratic b.s., It'll be a knock-down drag-out but this is important and should not be handled hastily. Deal me in. ol' C.C. can help here.

Holla at my boys-

MBPCody

I agree Cody. MKE needs people who are credible (lawyers, lawmen, media, etc.) on their side to figure things out before you talk to the city or cops. Also, having a MKE bike polo player to represent you wouldn't be a bad idea either. Someone that can keep their cool and not get upset and angry when things get frustrating. Good luck with everything MKE!

Midwest is best!!

-1 (as in we need to be deleting not adding. ready set? 3,2,1)

Is there an ombudsman who handles complaints? Clearly bike polo isn't leaving MKE and the cops aren't going to stop busting people for trespassing (no matter what they are doing). Having a good relationship with parks departments is key, even if that means educating them and being more organized (and yes, cleaning up your trash so as to not give them any excuses!).

Would be interested to see what you learn col.cody.

And I meant 'bureaucratic'

MBPCody

wow this is a shitty story .. sorry to hear you all got in shit for playing bike polo .. I guess we are lucky like East Van and the cops have better shit to do.. the worst we ever get is a parking control guy who might show up and we are just nice to him and finish our beers and leave to the next lot.. the only time the cops ever showed up they just wanted to see what the hell we were doing and just told us not to be too loud or stay there too late ..

hope you find a new spot to play.. or work something out soon ..

...BallAholics...Multiple Scoregasms...Thundercock...

I'll be making Something with all the mugs maybe " milwaukee most wanted " Tee

maybe coffee Mugs....the MWK Mugshot Mug

Sheriff's deputies ticket bike polo players
By Tom Held of the Journal Sentinel
Jan. 11, 2010 2:29 p.m.

The parking structure in O'Donnell Park was a safe haven from the elements, but not the law, for eleven local bike polo players, who reportedly were arrested and ticketed for trespassing on the county-owned property Sunday night.

Jacob Newborn, one of the leaders in the Milwaukee Bike Polo Club, reported that sheriff's deputies broke up a game about 6 p.m., then took the participants and players to jail for ticketing and processing. They were released in the wee hours of Monday morning, according to Newborn.

The tickets carry fines of $263.50.

Local bike polo players have used the O'Donnell Park garage as a winter venue for five or six years, with a few warnings from county parks workers but no official enforcement action, Newborn said.

"We would just go back after awhile," he said.

Sheriff's Capt. Aisha Barkow confirmed the enforcement action and said the players had been warned twice previously that they were trespassing and causing damage to the parking structure near the Milwaukee lakefront. County parks representatives offered two alternate locations for their bike polo matches, she said.

On Sunday night, a sheriff's unit assigned to parks patrol found the players back in O'Donnell Park and arrested them.

"This should not have been a surprise," Barkow said.

Newborn said the arrests would add motivation to the group's efforts to locate a private indoor play area, while they consider a legal strategy.

"We have to sit down and discuss as a club how we want to approach it in court," Newborn said. "It will be interesting to see what the judge says when he has 11 trespassing cases in a row."

For a look at the bike polo club in action during a summer tournament, check out this video.

"I won't tell anyone you have splinters in your lips if you don't tell anyone I have a wooden cock."

really curious to hear what the two suggested alternate court locations were...

Shay wrote:

Local bike polo players have used the O'Donnell Park garage as a winter venue for five or six years, with a few warnings from county parks workers but no official enforcement action, Newborn said.

"We would just go back after awhile," he said.

Sheriff's Capt. Aisha Barkow confirmed the enforcement action and said the players had been warned twice previously that they were trespassing and causing damage to the parking structure near the Milwaukee lakefront. County parks representatives offered two alternate locations for their bike polo matches, she said.

It sucks you guys were arrested, and I hate to be a turd, but don't you think this could have been avoided. You guys were warned that you were trespassing, twice. I only bring that up because I think polo needs a clean image with our local law enforcement. What if we play at a spot and then when are told to leave, we find another spot? Do you think the cops would like that better than having to ask us again and again to leave the same spot? Especially for new clubs being formed, be considerate to the cops, you never know how they can be of help.

Our club has been kicked out of two other spots and we just go find another one. Now the local cops roll through and watch sometimes. One of us tries to make an effort to go and introduce the sport and explain what we are doing if the cop is a new one. They generally stay for a few minutes and then go somewhere else. I think the better you treat the area you arent supposed to be on in the first place, the longer you can use it.

This happened almost two years ago. I think everyone already learned their lesson from this incident. Starting a new thread about how to deal with police in an appropriate and effective manner is cool. Telling MKE they could have dealt with their situation better isn't. Did you hear that as a result of this MKE has been given courts from the city? Sounds like they dealt with it pretty well in the long run.

I meant no harm, honestly. I didn't see the date and I'm sure my comment came of pretty elitest, it wasn't meant that way. I was just trying to make a point about a good way with dealing with cops. That's great about the courts though, wish my city was that generous.

here is a link to the above post along with its comments.

Quote:

Sheriff's Capt. Aisha Barkow confirmed the enforcement action and said the players had been warned twice previously that they were trespassing and causing damage to the parking structure near the Milwaukee lakefront.

i'd like to know exactly what kind of damage they are refering to in that comment.

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

when she said damage, she was referring to dillman slaying everything

"I won't tell anyone you have splinters in your lips if you don't tell anyone I have a wooden cock."

Lawyer Jim. The Law Offices of James M. Freeman, P.C. 120 S. State Street, Suite 200. Chicago, Illinois 60603 (312) 629-1901. Fax (312) 629-7622

Bicycle advocacy and injury lawyer in Chicago. He probably can't work in MKE, but he might know someone who can. Jake may have some legal contacts through the Bike Fed, too.

Retired.

Are there signs posted at the garage warning you of trespassing, or any other unauthorized use?

As a defense, why couldn't you just say that MKE is a big town with a burgeoning bike polo scene and that there are pockets of players throughout the city who play in different places. You could play dumb and suggest that maybe it was another group of players who had been told to leave and this was the first time you'd been approached by anyone for playing there. While not true, it would make it seem like the cops acted even more rash and excessive.

In my experience police tend to take names and identification information when they tell someone to leave.

You have better cops than we do, then. The ones here act like it is a chore to leave the comfort of their cruisers.

Hmm, better is a term well open to interpretation in this situation. Heh.

I do see where you're coming from though.

shit the cops went a bit over board putting those metal things in that one guys cheeks.

maybe those are the taser prongs?

There is no signage to the best of my knowledge. I don't even think there are hours posted..
and I'm quite interested in this "damage" as well.

MBPCody

IANAL, but I've been through shit like this before. #1 step, take down all specific details of the event in your blog ASAP. Don't go on record with anyone (especially the news) anymore without talking to a real lawyer.

listen to this man.

There are signs on the gates that say something to the effect of no bicycles, motorcycles, or pedestrians. That warning is for the traffic that passes under the gate when it is in the up position, not for the facility itself. A motorcycle or bike may trip the sensor to open the gate, but since these sensors were not designed with these type of vehicles in mind, the gate could come crashing down on your head.

There were some shiny new signs I saw back in the spring that said "No loitering or prowling" in the staircases.

what about "sacking potatoes"? maybe i should turn myself in.

MBPCody

Shitty deal MKE!

We got rousted the other week from a perfectly good city owned covered parking lot, because it was pissing rain outside, like it does so well in the pacfic northwest.

Parking enforcement said " you can't do that here" - "why not?" - " City won't allow it, someone might get hurt"

They're more concerned about liability, someone gets hurt on their property guess who gets sued? Have you tried talkng to the parking lot owner and signing waivers?

Love the mug shots, kind of got me wondering how I can get one myself for my avatar. Maybe we'll go back to that parking lot.....

Mug shot + Bike Polo is not a Crime t-shirt = huge sales. Could be a good way to recoup 11 x $263 tickets - for playing bike polo - ouch. I'd buy one.

BIKE POLO IS NOT A CRIME!

....... __o
........\<,
.... ( )/( )

....... __o
........\<,\
.... ( )/( ) \o

Photobucket

thats not the picture i had on my wristband but ill take it! but i didnt get my fucking mallets back and they were fucking chipper about that. called them "weapons, cause thats what you got arrested for right?" literally....

Get rad

dont forget to bend for the soap

where you someones bitch

did they roll up your bunk and tell your going cell block d

i am om top tonight bitch

NONE OF ANY OF ANY POLO PLAYERS HAVE REALLY BEEN IN JAIL

TRUST ME ON THAT ONE BEEN THEIR DONE THAT 6 YEARS

HARD CORE

two asshole's don't make it right"
BUTT three asshole's make a good team"

exactly, we were booked and released for no understood reason but spite. we took up officers time (about 11hrs) that could have been spent catching, transporting, booking, or releasing real criminals with real charges... not city citations.

J_klein

Jordan_Klein wrote:

we took up officers time (about 11hrs) that could have been spent catching, transporting, booking, or releasing real criminals...

...like Robert Edward Boards Esquire?

MMMMMBOP

Come on now, fella.

Nobody (in Milwaukee) is bragging about incarceration. It's an unfortunate event, in which real bike polo players were playing real bike polo, and were picked-up and processed, on some real B.S. I'm sure your mother is very proud of all the friends you made in jail, and of all the soap you picked up, but the 'hard time' here is figuring out how to play polo in Milwaukee without us getting raped.

MBPCody

When Bike Polo is outlawed.... Only outlaws will Polo.
Trespassing ticket... $263.50
Taxi home at 3am $24.00.
Replacing your mallet "weapons" $8.63.
Becoming an instant polo icon.....FUCKING PRICELESS!!!
Way to go boys and girls, I can't wait to see y'all on C.O.P.S.

>Replacing your mallet "weapons" $8.63.

I think this is the most outrageous part of the whole deal. Surely these will be returned after some process/common sense kicks in? It's sporting equipment for christs sake!

(unless anyone was using them as a weapon against the cops?)

How about 11 x 7075 - T6 Milwaukee Replacement poles? :)

>Way to go boys and girls, I can't wait to see y'all on C.O.P.S.

CSI-NY, COPS, what other shows can we get Polo into?

(FYI here we're going to be on Totally Wild, which is kinda like a Crocodile Hunter/wild life and outdoor adventure show for kids)

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

prolly chimed in

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

Great choice to use Leftys picture.

SAVE THE MILWAUKEE 11!!!!!

MMMMMBOP

if you haven't already, i'd go take photos of the area...
also take surface photos...if you've been consistently playing there and there is no property damage then you can prove it...

good luck. sorry to hear about the lengthy "processing".
and zach. you are my hero.

Damn. This is crazy!

Fuck the system. This is bullshit. Move to south florida where the LEGAL roller hockey rinks are plentiful and the warmth is abundant. Life is good down here. We play three times a week in shorts and tank tops. WOO!

Also, i would like to know what your exact charges were besides trespassing if any...
"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"

"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"
www.burrobags.com

A tempting suggestion, Jarred.

The Milwaukee Bike Polo 11

if i saw a motley crew like that in my garage i'd be loading the shotgun! criminals!

hey jordan, remember earlier tonight when you asked if i was scared of your mugshot and i said i didn't know? well i'm just happy you're on my side.

It's really easy to do, you just have to squint your eyes like you're trying to read something far away and BAM! instant serial killer face

J_klein

J_klein

And that's how they became the Bradie bunch!

a calendar.
everyone buys calendars.

t-shirts are cool too, but your grandmother wont rock a mug-shot T.

t-shirts and calendars should be made available for sale at the fundraiser that Teri (the Coin's owner) is mostly down with, provided everyone is of age, or can 'prove' that they are. you young bloods need to ask your big brothers for their expired id's if you wanna come.

let's do this.

MBPCody

Calendar is in the process and I will let you know what possible dates we decide on tomorrow night. I know you can't make it, but MPBC is meeting tomorrow night 7:30PM swinging door.
Text me if you have particular days that would work better than others.

www.mkebikepolo.com

tuesday and wednesday nights i'm free.. monday's usually too. i'm at the coin thurs, fri, and saturday nights, day-time i'm boogie till six. maybe i can push my start time back tomarrow- i'd like to be in attendance.

MBPCody

Yah Mo B There.
Teri's coming, too.

MBPCody

I'd buy a calander!

MMMMMBOP

fuckin' a!

the pictures should be autographed

MBPCody

Design Idea:

like a silhouette tool board with hand grenades, bayonets etc and a bike polo mallet in the middle.

then some cheesy line about a mallet/weapon (mallets of mass destruction?)

or...

in black outlines a tennis raquet, football, an ice hockey stick, a few other sporting raquets/bats etc and then a polo mallet in red. with some kinda highlight to show it's a weapon/illegal etc.

then the words "permit required, unauthorised athletic activity" underneath.

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

Fashion it after Malora Ann's calendar...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malora_ann/3018825678/

Hottest centrefolds EVER:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99882546@N00/3232554343/

I'll buy a calendar!

BADASS

so i talked ot my business law professor today, and he said when we go to court, they will offer us a deal of some sort. he said we could either take the deal or play hard and say not guilty. if we plead not guilty, he sayd well potentially get a better deal, but regardless still have to pay something. best case, we get a deferred judgement and the case is dismissed, but he insists well still have to pay something. which sucks.

wheres polo now?

Get rad

bike snob chimed in.

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

Lefty had to leave NYC to get his face on BSNYC.

if any of you 11 troublemakers are looking for new shafts to replace your confiscated weaponry, ive got a pretty healthy reserve pile of fresh poles, and a decent stretch of the blue pipe.

I've got some poles too

wonder how many cops are on here now.

BENCHICAGO: did you guys get the boot from UIC court? herad you're playing in pilsen now.

We did get the boot from there.
But we still have the option of Garfield, we're playing in Pilsen because we have a covered space there.

I think we'll either end up finding a way to have this space be legitimately ours, or as soon as it's warm out we'll be back in Garfield, which is great, because we're allowed, but it's far, and there's nothing out there food/drink wise, and it really deters a lot of people from coming out.

You'll see. Unless you drilled out your eyes because they were too heavy.

It was actually on Ben's birthday polo extravaganza. The head of Sheridan Park was considering us an organized sport and was trying to make us play per hour. Coincidentally, MKE was there.....: )

Midwest is best!!

Yeah, but we'll be back. Or have a better place by summer. We're playing under 90/94 at 18th and Halsted, Weds. and Sun. Come out.

Came here to link Bike Snob for those that did not know you guys made it on there..see that has already been done. Sucks to see this go down hope all works out for you guys

Bike Judge

Bike Judge

Some sub-par journalism from T0M H3ld of the Journal Sentinel.

"It's a cool sport, fun, entertaining," he said. "We'd love to put them somewhere they can call home. We want to work with them, but a parking garage is for parking cars."

This sounds promising, definetly talk to this guy! :)

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

i just say ijust say bull bull bullshit

if ya pay my fair i come down and BOUNCE THOSE PIGLETS
OUT OF BOUNCE PIGS BULLS HEAT FUSS

ROBBIE BOARDZ

IAM---ILIVE---FORPOLO

two asshole's don't make it right"
BUTT three asshole's make a good team"

we just got the lead story on our local Fox affiliate!.. i'll post it as soon as it's on online

- Beaver Boys * Milwaukee Bike Polo Club -

I couldn't resist beating you to it (sorry Joe):
http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-100112-bike-polo-tickets,0,3002012.story

thanks lisa, i couldn't get the embed to work... i don't know why they showed all the shots of the garage jammed with cars..? the second level where we play is a ghost town whenever we play. wtf

here's the piece that was on tonight:

"it was game over"

awesome

first polo martyrs

And the link to MKE's bike polo page (nice site btw).

http://www.fox6now.com/news/links/

Way to get the broadcast in your favour!

x2

For some reason, in my mind the words "team" and "practising" in the opening sentence seem to lend so much legitimacy to your case.

Great press, good work! :)

Just added to the front page of bikepolo.com.au

http://www.bikepolo.com.au/2010/01/bike-polo-is-not-a-crime/

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

--
bikepolo.com.au
urbanbicyclist.org

i agree, and this is definitely positive coverage.

but for people who play on tennis courts or other parks spaces that have sport permits available (like dolores park in SF), it might be good to avoid any words that imply formal organization, cause then parks officials might feel more justified in demanding $ for a permit. it's just pick-up, and anyone can play.

all yall people with Future machines text NO to #35968 to tell some MKE news channel that the MKE POLO 11 should not have been arrested sunday night!

Hey Milwaukee,

My brother-in-law is a lawyer in your fair city. He has practiced as a criminal defense lawyer in MKE. Let me know if y' all need some help.

Leslie-Seattle

..awesome coverage for you guys .. in spite of what went down .. its too bad they didn't explain more about the game or history and what not .. and how all your "weapons" were confiscated so the pigs can secretly start there own team ..

...BallAholics...Multiple Scoregasms...Thundercock...

Nice work Joe!

The land of the free and the home of the incarcerated!

91% fuck yeah

Polo Badasses from Mr.Do on Vimeo.

Excellent video.

Awesome Mr. Do!

www.mkebikepolo.com

sweet

I know! you're such a stud, Joe.

MBPCody

This.

Local radio station did a segment on our story with some background history and reviewed local media attention before listeners call in with their reactions. This aired today at 1pm. Enjoy:)

http://www.620wtmj.com/

Download the podcast below and listen while you work.
http://media2.620wtmj.com/wagner/011310_Hour2.mp3

www.mkebikepolo.com

Not sure if this will show up, but you should hire Jason from Brookfield to do your PR.

what about speaking with mpr?

MBPCody

not to mention the fact that they never read us our rights either.

My brother is a lawyer and he agreed to give us advice if we still need it after talking to the lawyers that yall already are talking to...

J_klein

J_klein

Not being mirandized usually negates a charge in court, but as the cops said it might not have been an official "arrest". Sure you were taken in and booked, but since this was supposed to be a "ticketable" offense being read your miranda rights might not be an issue here.

Your lawyer brother could help either way, but you'll have to chooose whether you want to win the case (and not pay fines) or lose the case and try to prove a point (bike polo is not a crime).

the second they were zip tied and prevent from leaving they were under custodial interrogation, which in this case is an "official arrest." the cops telling them they weren't under "arrest" was them being tricky. anytime a person is in the situation of a 'custodial interrogation' where they're being asked questions and being deprived of their right to leave, 9/10 times they have to be informed of their fifth amendment right to stay silent (there are exceptions, but this doesn't seem like one that i'm aware of) even them asking "is this your stuff" wouldn't be legit.

my best guess is that the cops didn't give a shit because they weren't investigating anything... they caught them on the property "red handed" as it were and they really didn't need any further information than that so the miranda part seems irrelevant in this case. miranda comes into play when you give a LEO information that helps them investigate/prosecute you further and find out stuff they didn't before you gave up the info.

it seems like the cops were just trying to prove a point and really didn't care if the city/county is able to collect the full fine of the tickets, it was more about inconveniencing you guys and getting an arrest on your record.

throw the fuzz out!

more snob love

carve. smash. eat shit.

carve. smash. eat shit.

Mugshot wheelcover

Though they did not attend in person, The Beaver Boys were at the Lock-in in spirit.

I'd've sent them invites, put they'd already spent enough time locked-in lately.

Retired.

These dudes were lucky check out this long video
http://blogs.myspace.com/boilingfrogs101

Myself and eight others pleaded not guilty.

UPDATE: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/84597322.html

our story was covered on milwaukee talk radio again. here is the 620wtmj.com radio link from today: http://media2.620wtmj.com/wagner/021710_Hour2.mp3

I think Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, DJ Yella, and MC Ren said it best:

FUCK THE POLICE!

Bee Safe & Bee Happy

Bike Polo is Our Language,
Good Will is Our Motto,
Friendship is Our Goal.

Play More Bike Polo Together!

http://twitter.com/tomheld

Check out the polo coverage on Tom Held.

UPDATE: If we comply with the Parks,Sheriffs and DA all charges will be dismissed!

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/86599007.html

win/win. congratulations, guys.

carve. smash. eat shit.

Win win indeed. New article with even more info and specifics of why this turned from Bust to Boon!

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/86609682.html

Thanks Sven for posting updated blog.

Fuck yeah guys! Glad to hear things are working out.

"[...] John Thomure, a litigator from the Michael Best & Friedrich firm, who took the players' case pro bono, as a favor to his sister-in-law. She plays the game out in Seattle."

Go poloverse!

the j is for jesse
Troy, NY: 2008 - 2010
Seattle, WA: 2010 - 2013
Austin, TX? polo!???

Sweet.

So the other two pay the fine and get it put on their records? I feel sad for them. I'm glad the rest of you gutted it out. Great result for polo everywhere.

coming soon: Edmonton inmates polo club

http://goo.gl/maps/EHMTk

Your honor I plead guilty, on the condition that I be extradited and transferred to the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Facility. And I get to keep my polo bike.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

There's one at Kennedale School too...AKA juvie.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kennedale+School,+Edmonton,+AB,+Canada&hl...

god bless canada. looks like a multiuse court... basketball hoops and a rink. I wonder how they settle who gets to play what at recess

better than badminton I spose

http://www.youtube.com/embed/GJFLg7hchZw

Three Square meals, plenty of time to sleep, and hell the dope ain't that bad. They even let Bubbles keep one of his kitties in here.

That will never work.