Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

Tampa Bike Polo (and bike co-op) in The News

Decent article about FL Bay Area Polo:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article735198.ece

it would have been great if they mentioned the birthplace of Critical Mass (San Fran) and that some cities get thousands of riders (our june mass in vancouver hit about 2000!). in terms of polo, the reporter could have traced the roots of polo back a hundred years or so instead of flippently stating that it is an emerging "hipster" sport (FUCK i hate that word!). in all, i got the sense that the story wasn't well researched and made the folks in tampa come across as agro punks. a little bit of pigeonholing going on methinks?

in any event, good that you got some press. that's what we need to grow. On another note, can people mention any press they have gotten in their home towns? we have had an interview on cbc in vancouver and i know calgary had one as well. also, we were on the front page of the sports section (crazy to see yourself and know that MILLIONS of others will as well) of the Globe and Mail - arguably Canada's biggest newspaper! the was an article about a year ago in the newyork times as well. some big time exposure here! any other ones you folks know of? 

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

I live in DC, not Florida. I was just posting the article here.Agree about the AGROPUNX and hipster

slapdick bike polo - washington dc

We've been pretty lucky with the press. Washingtonian ran a piece on us earlier last year and NPR ran a national story on Weekend Edition back in November. A little blurb about ESPI3 in Washington Post's Express (free daily with pretty good circulation among mass transit commuters) has lead to an increase in interest from other outlets. DC's Fox station ran a story during the 5:00 and 10:00 news about a month ago. Lefty Josh wrote a great press release for ESPI3 and got it circulated pretty thoroughly. It's getting a kind of late response for the tournament, but late is better than never.

Surprisingly, I've received more feedback from people who saw the Fox5 report than anything else.

a list of hardcourt bike polo in the media.  http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.com/?page_id=57

Doug D

Brooklyn, New York

http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.com/

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo+gmail+com
hardcourtbikepolo.com

H ELL YEAH PETE YOUNG!

"

Slowly more people ride in from the side streets. Among them is Pete
Young, a 25-year-old who works in computer logistics by day but is a
one-man wrecking crew of bike polo tonight.

"We've only got about an hour of daylight left," he yells as he rushes to clean the rink.

The
main event is a three-on-three bout. Young shoots and jukes his way
around opponents. Above, the sky grumbles as he drains yet another
goal.

He's at an unfair advantage. He recently went to Madison,
Wis., where he played with cyclists who have been into polo a long
time. The guys up North taught him a lot in only a few days, he says.

He chuckles as two of his friends collide behind the goal. In Tampa, he says, "We're newbies at this thing."

"

[emphasis is mine] 

::

pete is an up and coming player. Total random meeting here in madison and it was about as awesome as one can get after 3 weeks of play. Glad we could point him in the right direction.

jonny