Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

False start, how to call them?

We have to find a way for refs to be able to call false starts easily. should it be:
the assistant job to watch one team and the ref the other?
the goal ref job to rise arm when they saw a false start?

If there is a false start what is the sanction? ball turnover?

At NAs the goal judge was the one that was responsible for calling the false starts. I saw a few get called, but not many. It resulted in a re-joust I think?

False start should be a turnover! Otherwise, players would just try to false start every time because there's no penalty for it.

Whaa... but everybody follows the rules to keep it a fair and respectful game right?

I could be wrong about it, it might have been a turnover. It should definitely be a turnover if it wasn't.

§3.1.6.1 – If the referee deems that a false start has resulted in an advantage for the team committing the
false start, a ball turnover will occur

So carry on with play, but wait to see if that players gets an advantage or not.

I saw this something like this happen at least once at our qualifier. Player knew he had jumped the gun and instead of continuing just let the other team win. got into a defensive position instead. He didn't gain an advantage from the turnover so there wasn't anything to call according to the rules. Thoughts?

I remember one at NAs that resulted in a rejoust... Which means that either the ref penalized wrong, or the offending team lost the joust but the ref decided to call it anyway...? Either way, funny reffing.

Seems like the goal judges are best set up to call false starts: raise their arm and if the false starter gets an advantage the ref blows the whistle and the other team gains possession?

shotgun your bike!

false start should equal a turnover, period.

consequences keep players honest (against their will even). if false start = turnover 100% of the time then you don't give players gray areas to misunderstand and exploit.

consistency in ruling and reffing!

if false start = maybe turnover ?% of the time...expect some player to ref back talk when a jousting team is penalized and they don't agree that there was enough of an "advantage" to warrant a turnover.

you cheat...you pay, period. doesn't matter if it was accidental or no advantage was gained or nobody got hurt. break the rules...pay the price, period.

I guess there could be a scenario could be where a player false starts, then stops, because they know what they've done, and the other team might actually end up with the ball, shoot and score for the joust.

Then you'd have to disallow a perfectly good goal, and restart (if you call a timeout 100% of the time).

I think there are situations where calling a turnover would penalise both teams.

John H wrote:

I guess there could be a scenario could be where a player false starts, then stops, because they know what they've done, and the other team might actually end up with the ball, shoot and score for the joust.

Wouldn't a prompt whistle blow keep this type of situation from occurring?

I see a potential problem with an instance of both teams false starting; re-joust; turnover? How do you decide if/who is penalized? Did someone mention this and I wasn't paying attention.

shotgun your bike!