Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Riding in Circles

Bench Minor II, CHICAGO JUNE 25-26th 2011

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - Sunday, June 26, 2011
Host club: 
Chicago

6 teams of 9.

GMs for Bench Minor 2:

Chris Simpson, Lexington KY
Joker, Los Angeles, CA
Birdie, Milwaukee, WI
Maija, Toronto, ON
Chris W, CO,MO (and recently CHI)
Julian, Seattle, WA

Draft Card and the Confirmed
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AoEwZGyVH38zdDdJQm...

UPDATED EVENT INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Schedule

• Friday
    • 3 pm - Pick up at Daley Bicentennial Plaza
    • 8pm - Registration at Reggie's Rock Club. Show up at least to collect your registration info and sign the event waiver. If you don't sign, you don't play.
  • Saturday
    • 9:00 am – Breakfast / Team check-in at Daley Bicentennial Plaza
    • 10:00 am to 8:00 pm – round-robin matches
  • Sunday
    • 9:00 am – Teams meet at Daley Bicentennial Plaza
    • 10:00 am to 2:00 pm – finish remaining round-robin matches
    • 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm – single elimination brackets
    • 6:00 pm – Final Match
    • 8:00 pm – Closing Party at Cobra Lounge (235 N. Ashland Ave)

Schedule of matches

Saturday
    East West
    10:00:00 Simpson Joker
    11:00:00 Birdie Julian
    12:00:00 Williams Maija
    13:00:00 Joker Birdie
    14:00:00 Julian Maija
    15:00:00 Simpson Williams
    16:00:00 Birdie Maija
    17:00:00 Julian Simpson
    18:00:00 Joker Williams

Sunday

10:00:00 Maija Simpson
    11:00:00 Williams Birdie
    12:00:00 Joker Julian
    13:00:00 Birdie Simpson
    14:00:00 Maija Joker
    15:00:00 Williams Julian

Single Elimination bracket

16:00:00 1st place 4th place
    17:00:00 2nd place 3rd place
    18:00:00 FINAL

Each match will consist of two 25-minute halves and a five-minute halftime. There will be 5 minutes between each match. In addition, due to some of the additions noted below, we have accounted for this schedule to run a bit over.

Rules

The rules for Bench Minor II will follow the official NAH ruleset, with the following exceptions:

• Each team will have a one-minute timeout available to them for each match.
    • Time will stop after a goal is scored. If a team is taking too long to, A) return to their side after scoring or, B) make a line change, at the referee's discretion the clock will resume and the match will be on.

Also, a word on fighting......fighting will be allowed as long as the two people involved have both feet on the pedals of their bike and are NOT being supported by any other player or the boards. Fighting ends once one or both players have a foot off the pedals/on the ground. If two players engage in a fight of this kind, each will be given with a five-minute penalty. If one player initiates a fight and the target player does not retaliate, the five-minute penalty will be given to the player who initiated the fight.

Any player who continues to fight once either player has touched the ground will be ejected from the remainder of the match and not be allowed to play in the following match.

Any player who attempts to fight a referee will be removed from the tournament.

Any player who intentionally hits another player with a mallet will be removed from the tournament.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions? Call (NO TEXTS!!!!) the Bench Minor II hotline (a.k.a., Jerod's new burner) - 312.433.9121 This number will be active by Thursday evening.

Chicago, IL
United States

Signed up

are the rumours of mandatory shoulder pads and open court hits true?

can't wait for that, i've already ordered my mouth guard.

No, that's St. Louis. And nothing is mandatory except bloodlust.

Pieter, if that mouthpiece prevents you from talking, i'm all for it.

jk you know i love you

i was hoping someone would say something about the mouth guard, well done.

any heads up about the rules this time?

yep, Chicago will cover that. you'll know prior to the draft registration what rules will be applied. no surprises.

x206 on that Paull.....fuck I just laugh hard from that.

Matt Messenger
"Messmann"
bikepologuru.com
seattlebikepolo
since 1998

you live and learn, Messman. I like to think we're getting smarter, at least a little bit.

(can't fucking wait to come back to Seattle!!!!)

Hooray for Chicago hosting!!!!

x4 loko

Boom!

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

paul or chicago, when does registration begin already? i'm dying of anticipation.

Oh me too girl! We're still trying to getting courts and other logistics worked out first.

Midwest is best!!

yeah, i think once the Chicago crew confirms more details, we'll talk about the draft.
I'm hoping to do it early in 2011 so people can plan strategy and wardrobes.
Start your priority list, Birdie!

Thank you Chicago for making this happen.

yah no kidding, this looks like a lot of fun.

Keep your standards low, and morale high.

If it's anything like last year, which i'm sure it will be, then it will be a lot fun.

Can't wait for this to happen! I would like to take the time right now to submit Ottawa's request to host Bench Minor 3. We have a perfect court for this type of tournament. Equal access to the court for both teams. A nice big court. And a rich history of throwing tournaments that people seem to enjoy.

That is all.

Fuck yeah, dude!!

Midwest is best!!

i thought you already submitted that proposal.

i know everyone is in favor of Bench Minor 3, Ottawa 2012.

x2 for Ottawa 2012

Ifuckinglovepolo

now in all fairness, i think east van might have a rink by then...

Portland United
www.eighthinch.com

Calgary has a shit load of sweet ass courts! Van is close to so I am down with that!

I need a sugar momma so I can work less and play polo more!!

I'm for Ottawa too. We'll bring it west in the future, don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sure I have a few years of polo left in me. I can be patient, and I love tourneys in Ottawa.

I'm for Ottawa too. We'll bring it west in the future, don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sure I have a few years of polo left in me. I can be patient, and I love tourneys in Ottawa. Stupid computer double posting....why can't I delete a post? Why only edit?

should be a 7th team so the peacockz can defend the cup!

we wanna hold to Bench Minor in Tokyo next year...

Riki@Tokyo Hardcourt Bike Polo
tokyobikepolo.blogspot.com / www.flickr.com/rikitko / twitter: RikiTokyo

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=king+park+milwaukee+wi&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mo...

Milwaukee has the perfect set up for side by side 2 court action for Bench Minor check out the link and zoom in! 2012 or 2013 if we have too
King Park, Milwaukee WI

is that a rugby pitch I spy?

i want to go to there

bike polo hotline

Midwest is best!!

about time chi-town hosted a tourney...

of course, who's gonna draft someone from up here in the cornfields? guess I'll just bring a film crew

You'll get picked Mr. Do! Sign up for the draft!!

Midwest is best!!

in

this sounds extra fun!

ok so how do we sign up? has that happened yet?

Apparently, Paul from NY is handling the draft. I would ask him for more info.

Midwest is best!!

well you enter yourself in a draft it looks like, i just hope its not like basketball in the school yard, i was always picked last.

DRAFT INFO:

Registration will open in January 2011. Players will register as eligible for the draft, and I'll compile a list for GMs and public to see.
GMs will agree on a draft day (maybe later in Jan or early Feb) that works with their respective schedules, and we'll do it live on a google document, that will be viewable by the public, as it happens.

I'll probably organize players by their respective cities, so GMs can browse and determine who is still available.
After the draft, there will be a one week trade window, where GMs can make trades. Trades will be approved by both GMs and submitted to me, to update the roster.
After the one week trade window, rosters are locked and set for tournament.

Prior to the tournament, if a drafted player has to withdraw from tournament for any reason, the GM can add any player that originally made themselves eligible for the draft, but was not drafted.

the draft window should be longer, perhaps until one week before the tournament.

no trades last year: we need some this year. who is the Drew Rosenhaus of hammer ball?

bucket is low

i definitely hope people trade this year, no question!
we can extend it if the GMs feel it's necessary, but i think the one week window gives people a focused amount of time to get deals done, and doesn't drag the process.
Will people draft trade bait this year? Didn't happen last year, but i'd love to see it in 2011!

Thanks for handling the draft, Paul!!

Midwest is best!!

This is top-priority for me next year. Can't wait!

really like the gm selection this time around. out of curiosity, how does that go down?

Like last year, I looked at the pool of players, and invited people I thought knew the field, had tournament experience, would bring an interesting angle to selection and coaching, and were from diverse locations. I think all these new 2011 GMs turned in impressive performances as players over the past year.

This year, I wanted to expand the scope to include more West Coasters, more women, the younger generation, and players from different cities than last year. (Last year was NY, Boston, Ottawa, Chicago, Madison)

All the GMs obviously have good game. I definitely asked a handful of players who declined as well, but i think this is a solid group. In NY and I imagine most cities, we seem to have 2 generations, players in their early 30s and players in their early to mid 20s and I thought it'd be cool to highlight the young folks.

awesome. you're making a good commish. are the rules going to up to chicago, or are they going to be similar to last years? (no interference, scoop shots etc)

edit: heading says its chicago's tourney. so... chicago, any ideas on rules?

No scoop shots, no interference rule, etc. Most likely using the most developed form of the NAH rules.

No "wrist shots" awwwww that was fun last year

Ifuckinglovepolo

ha ha just wait til you guys see what i've got in store for 2012 in ottawa.

should i get my skates sharpened and rockered then?

You should always have your skates sharp and rockered.

don't worry they are, and my sticks have fresh tape on them for all the beer league fun.

[quote=Paul] (Last year was NY, Boston, Ottawa, Chicago, Madison)

richmond had two players on the winning team and two on the second place team

i believe Paul is referring to the home cities of the GMs (Menace, Javier, Alexis, Lefty, Ben Hunter)

yes

If the Worlds end up happening in the States, a couple of months either before or after this, I'm in.

Rik
Berlin Bike Polo 2010
London Bike Polo 2008 - 2010

would be nice timing for the tour..

Worlds is most likely to be the 2nd or 3rd weekend of september. Dont know if thats far away for ya but we'd love to see you out here.

(0v0)

too far apart.... I can not afford to go twice in one summer :(
I will have to wait a bit more to see you guys.

Rik
Berlin Bike Polo 2010

Im in',
Even if im not draft i think. I want to see chicago!

Do it! Chicago is beautiful in the summer!!

Midwest is best!!

this is such a cool idea. excited to see it all go down.

I'd like to go to this one. Any idea on when will be?

why don't we get a chance to repeat? please explain. and by explain i mean email me the answer since chances are i won't be checking back here for a while.

Winner stays on.

Quick, someone send him an email. Our chances sound good!

i'll email him directly, but for everyone else, the main goal of the draft is to create new combinations. Like previously mentioned, get more of North America involved, get younger, get more coed, get awesomer. the team Mark played for last Bench Minor won and displayed great chemistry. Various combinations of members of that team were dominant in other tournaments this past year. This year, the format changes from 12 players per team to 9, and another draft opens up all new possibilities. New combinations/players/opportunities is what this is all about.
if the draft shakes out and Chris W is able to recreate the Peacockz, more power to him.

"summer in chicago"...when exactly are we talking here? i am interested in this but i may be one of the only from TX. id be looking at a plane ticket and need to get on that booking asap....help a planner out please. and thank you.

Between July 27th at 11am and July 27th at 7pm.
That's the extent of Chicagos summer.
Enjoy it.

You'll see. Unless you drilled out your eyes because they were too heavy.

......however, Bench Minor will be middle - late June.

So bring you whiskey jackets!

i want to go to there

niiiiiceeeeeeeee

bike polo hotline

no shit. draft. me. now. now. now. now. now. now. now. now.

i was just talking about how excited i am for this. i also love chicago and it's a short train ride.

can't wait to see who earns the coveted "NUM-BERR OOOOO-ONE" title & heckle this year

---------------------------
"Thou Shalt put Thy Weed in it"
CH0MB0 3:16

i heard that the GMs are not playing in the tournament....is this true?

That is not true. GMs will be eligible to play.

GMs will pick 8 players, and join them to create a 9 player team.
GMs are allowed to trade any drafted player on their team, during the trade window.
GMs cannot trade themselves.

We just played a BM Tournament in Paris this WE and we had 8 players teams. I think 8 or 9 players teams is a very good idea.

.greg

you forgot to mention you ate the competition.

i'm just sayin.......
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=543059

yeah i heard about this the other night on ESPN. It appears the NHL is looking to bike polo for policy changes.

just a reminder that mark capriotti is available for this

next question. what the fuck?

dare anyone to beat the peacockz.

4 out of the 6 GMs were in Lexington this weekend. This was a rare chance to make a lasting personal impression before the draft. I'm sure lots of notes were taken after 4-5 days of awesome pickup. You should have been there, just saying...

Not to mention the personal highlight reels that Mr. Do will be making for us.

I hope this doesnt mean that the people how wasnt there, will not have much possibilities.....

Rik
Berlin Bike Polo 2010

Rik are you gonna try to make this? Pretty sure that knowledge of the talent pool was an important factor in gm selection. Either way, any europeans thinking of entering the draft: do it! Any gm that wasn't at worlds or hasn't been across the pond will probably have some help from someone who has in analyzing potential draft selections.

I'm not incredibly knowledgeable of the pool outside NA but I'll be doing my homework. Please don't shy away from enlisting.

x2!! Everyone who wants to come should sign up for the draft!

Midwest is best!!

ALL YOUROPEONS WILL BE ANALICED!!! HAHAHA!...AAAGGGGIILLA!! MOS LARCOS IS DEAD..!!!HAHAHAHA!

Portland United
www.eighthinch.com

YOUR OPIATES!

Put me on the list. If I'm not drafted I'll blame my nephew.

--
Credo quia absurdum

ooohhhh i hope i get picked for this.... put me in birdie!

but seriously looks like too much fun

Get rad

been looking for an excuse to go to chicago... pick me!

i want on the court for this one. pick me now.

I'll pay 100 $ to the GM who pick me up!

ha!

you are cycle-courier... you dont have money!

Rik
Berlin Bike Polo 2010

RIk wrote:

you are cycle-courier... you dont have money!

Ah ah !

.greg

1) I'll quite for december this job', back to mummy café. Money is back
2) Even if I don't have any money, im gonna sell my body to old ladies, collecting by gigoloting!
3) I began safe money from now. GM, pick me!

1) I'll quite for december this job', back to mummy café. Money is back
2) Even if I don't have any money, im gonna sell my body to old ladies, collecting by gigoloting!
3) I began safe money from now. GM, pick me!

4) Messengers in GVA get paid as German prime ministers!

how early is too early for the scouting report thread?

yea like last year post your "stat" card

Ifuckinglovepolo

This should probably wait till there's a draft date set. i think i'm going to do a sort of AP style ranking and ask some of you over-opinionated people to rank those who sign up for the draft, too.

that's a great idea kev! i've already been nerding out over what little available statistics there are, estimating draft values and such. it would be awesome and helpful to see how everyone else feels about the talent pool.

may do this depending on the dates

sign me up! I have been wanting to travel outside of the southeast to play.

I hope there will be at least one female on each team.

that's why i will be putting my name in the hat!
+chick
+decent goalie
+not afraid to fuck some shit up

give blood. play polo.

Depending on what the dates are I may have to be in th upper peninsula for a centinial farm type deal for my family, i'll keep checking back.

We are trying to nail down a date, but the parks dept. is dragging their asses. It will definitely be in June, hopefully the first weekend so people from out of town can stay after the Slayer's tourney in MKE.

Midwest is best!!

please make this one week after the slayerfest.

second

Also-- we are flexible with our dates. Our thinking originally was that the 2 being spread enough apart would allow for 2 different trips. But if the demand exists for these to be on back to back weekends and all slayers will need to be in CHI already, lets do it! June is the best month in Milwaukee anyway. What do others think?

Midwests in Bloomington the 21-22, Slayerfest in MKE the 28-29, Bench minor in Chicago the 4-5.

Or switch Slayerfest and BM.

Haha, holy shit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

you're caving to/asking for internet demands/feedback...wow that's bold. please Slayerfest "Nomad Bike Polo Tournament"(official name announced very soon) and Bench Minor organizers pick dates for these things ASAP

All in late june,
Ehbpc gonna be in Barcelona, early june... so if some european want to make the trip for one of this tourney, late june is the better...

http://chicagohardcourt.com/news/bench-minor/

is this set and confirmed??

Putting my name out there! Put me in coach!

hum...

Its January, is the draft open yet?!?! I'm not excited or anything...

yea! where should i send my cv?!

Ben and Paul- Any word on the draft?! Should we start a polo resume' thread? So stoked!!

Midwest is best!!

if i don't get an update on the date and the draft soon i'm going to BM on someones face!!

+1

x2

/3

+4 (loko) I would love to play in this as well.

haha. i'm gonna chat w/ the Prez this weekend and we'll open draft registration.

after everyone has registered (probably keep registration open for 2 weeks or so), we'll set a date for the draft that works for all the GMs.
and then we'll get it poppin!!!!

so stoked. check back at the end of the weekend for a draft registration update.

YES!!!

Midwest is best!!

In all of our dealings to secure a location, we have requested June 25-26. When it's set 100%, it will be announced definitively.

TO REGISTER YOURSELF FOR THE DRAFT:
email paul (dot) rauen at gmail (dot) com with the subject "Bench Minor 2 draft registration". Please provide your full name and the city you call home. You will receive a reply that says CONFIRMED and i will add your name to a draft list that I will make public as I compile.
Draft will occur in a couple of weeks, as soon as I lock in a time that works for all the GMs.

In the mean time, please email me to register yourself.

Also, Nate will be posting a video shortly, announcing the GM Draft Pick Order, randomly selected by NYC's most senior club member!!!!!!
Each GM has been randomly assigned a draft pick position (1 through 6) and the picks go as follows:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on, until the roster of 9 is full. That means each GM will make 8 selections.

There will then be a 2 week trade window, where GMs can trade any drafted player to another GM. Both GMs will confirm the trade with me and I'll update their roster.
After the trade deadline, rosters are locked until the tournament.
If a player drops out prior to the tournament, as a replacement, the GM can add any player who was originally registered but undrafted.

Draft Day confirmation coming soon. Register yourself!

draft order drawing now available in HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLZBUhc1ydA&hd=1

how do i embed this thing?

Embedded for you.

spanks

WATCH IT MEGA HD FULL SCREEN FOR BEST EXPERIENCE!

I <3 Frank!!

Midwest is best!!

This is awesome, but one thing: Chris Williams will be COMO TILL DEATH!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

anyone else see the vicious dog?

got it. and i agree w/ you, as i intended to pick a COMO guy and not a CHICAGO guy, to keep the GMs coming from new places. and then he tells me he moved. tricky bastard.

also,

if you can please tell your non-internet scouring club members how to register for BM2, that would be greatly appreciated. i'm sure you've got some excellent players out there in your clubs that should be made aware. thanks.

Is there going to be a flier for this?

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo+gmail+com
hardcourtbikepolo.com

There will be as soon as we get the date confirmation from the city.

Midwest is best!!

I'm working on it.

coffee, whiskey, beer. repeat.

Roger that. Thanks

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

UPDATE:

Sheet 1: Draft Card
Sheet 2: Registered Players (this list is being continually updated)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoEwZGyVH38zdDdJQmlKMUg4c3FROXN...

neat.

any chance you can insert =COUNTA(A:A) in like C1 or D1 so we can easily see how many people are registered?

thanks.

yep, thanks Daniel.

i hereby officially call dibs on this color scheme:

Any idea the exact date you are closing the draft?

Draft registration closes at 3pm EST Feb 11th.

93 people registered with 48 spots available... and a reminder to all the gms that Mark Capriotti will be available for this.

Kev, Are you still going to get us an AP style ranking of those that registered? I'm curious.

That's the plan, assuming that the actual draft won't happen for a week after reg closes.

yeah. push that draft back.

Kev needs to work some magic
GM's need to study the field

I'd like to see the draft be behind the close of registration by the same amount of time that the registration is open. What's that? 2 weeks.

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

this is nuts.

Last year 55 spots and 78 entered
This year 48 spots and 104 entered, and counting.

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

Well, shit.

shit for everbody else. youll get drafted rob

Get rad

UPDATE:

the Draft will occur live on Tuesday February 15th, 9 pm EST.

ps, where's Blokker?

MIA

Blokker is in Miami? Is he with Jared?

4 days from Close to Draft is pretty antsy.

100++ players to review and the tournament itself is 4 months away.

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

Paul wrote:

UPDATE:

the Draft will occur live on Tuesday February 15th, 9 pm EST.

ps, where's Blokker?

this one

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

Blokker, maxin in South Beach.

sunglasses, check.
frisbee, check.
thong, check.
asian gang member, check.

Visor, check.

Hundreds of mallets and mallet making materials, check.

I like your polo.

Gettin' registered...you know you want this girl on your team.

Ride, bake, polo, repeat.

Where's Capriotti?

this is just a reminder that mark capriotti is not yet available for this. next question: what the fuck?

I don't see Rory's name on this either. What about Chris Proux. Come on east van.

xWTF to the last three posts.

Flights from Vancouver to Chicago are over $700 for that weekend.

what about to milwaukee the weekend before?

*400 from Seattle to Milwaukee gets you to our tournament 20 bucks gets you on the party bus to and from chicago. plus the 2000 cash prize we are throwing out that you will probably win.

Yeah I would love to but I cannot take off a week at that time of year. Boo.

Have fun...maybe you'll win the money instead.

Boo is right! because i just set the table for you

Quote:

DRAFT will occur live, Tuesday Feb 15th, 10 pm EST.

will there be a dedicated thread for this? twitter? how do it know?

---------------------------
carve. smash. eat shit.

If its like last year the commissioner will have one private google thing to keep contact with GM's and a second google thing with steady updates pick by pick.
watch here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoEwZGyVH38zdDdJQmlKMUg4c3FROXN... (i think)

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

Yea, that's correct. i'll talk to the GMs live via g-chat, and as they pick, i'll populate the "Draft Card" portion of that spreadsheet.

Then there's 2 weeks to trade, and then rosters are locked. If someone has to cancel, a player from the undrafted pool can be added as a replacement up until day of tournament.

hey paul how come the order changes on the last line? it doesnt follow the pattern.

thanks, good catch, it's fixed now.

I just qualified as Wild Card for calgary having played the last 3 and 1/2 games with 4 hours sleep in the previous 57 hours , a pulmonary contusion on my lung (a big bruise) , a broken rib and ZERO recreational or pharmecutical drugs.If you have a draft pick that can beat that don't pick me coz I wanna play against them (and by the way I scored a goal in each of those games including the winning one in 2 of them)Ask anyone who was there then polo the fuck up and choose me.

"So this is how it ends"MACHINE

One week till draft day...

that's right!!! The live draft begins Tuesday Feb 15th at 10 pm EST.
reminder that registration closes at 3pm EST this Friday, Feb 11th. Tell all the procrastinators in your club to sign up!
where's Blokker?

i thought you said 9pm EST

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

i did say 9 pm, but the time has been moved back one hour to accommodate the West Coast GMs.

Official draft time is now 10 pm EST.

AHGADICANTFUCKINGWAIT!!! Looking towards next year and thoughts for improving this format. Here in Ottawa we will work towards ensuring a 2 tier tournament next year. 5 or 6 teams get selected for the "A" tournament. The registered players who go undrafted will then be drafted by different captains and will compete in the "B" tournament. Hoping this can work out so we can include more players since it looks like more than 2/3's of the registered players won't get to play.

haha majors/minors!

i think that's great, Alexis. Had planning for this tournament been different (had we thought we'd get this response) I think we could have planned for more space to host. As its been so far, it's a one court centralized tournament, but I love the idea of expanding. Sure, it's an exclusive format and I'm not denying that, but I think making it more accessible is a solid move for the future.

there's no reason another city couldn't run a concurrent bench tournament with the remaining draftees. obviously i am not the one to undertake this, but i'm throwing the idea out there because it occurred to me and i would love to see it happen.

Definitely would not miss seeing these games but... MPLS may have a city based tourney this spring. Smallish affair and such.

I would love to go back to MPLS for polo! May is pretty packed with tourneys(for me, at least), but early June looks pretty good. : )

Midwest is best!!

ok, registration has closed!

Please confirm that your name is on the draft list. Shoot me an email if you're missing or there's an issue w/ your name.

thanks, p

HERE WE GO!

Ifuckinglovepolo

what are you, the bud light rep?

my name is confirmed, pussies. pick me.

Look at Nate Mumford doing a last min profile.

Doug D
Brooklyn, New York
hardcourtbikepolo.com

Haha, yeah I unfortunately missed out on replying to his profile, so I will do so now. Someone should pick this man up!! Not only does he have a sweet beard, but Tuesday is his birthday. Give this man an amazing birthday present!!

Midwest is best!!

NATE HAS A BEARD! THE ONLY PEOPLE YOU CAN TRUST WITH A BEARD ARE ZZ TOP AND SANTA CLAUSE. HE IS NEITHER, NOR. SAVE YOUR PICK FOR SOMEONE ELSE WITHOUT A BEARD, LIKE DOUGLAS D... HE GAVE ME DIRECTIONS ONCE AND GOT ME WHERE I NEEDED TO GO. HE'S TRUSTWORTHY. BECAUSE OF HIM I ENDED UP CHILLING IN SOME PARK LISTENING TO RAP MUSIC, WHICH WAS TIGHT... IF YOU like RAP music... WHICH I DO... so, yeah... it was tight... also because I like parks... but I don't like parking... it's the worst... that's why I walk everywhere or ride my bike. It's weird when I do have to drive places and end up having to spend some obscene amount of time finding a place to park I get angry, really angry... not like so angry I'd punch someone with a beard who isn't Santa, but angry enough. I think you get the picture.
Anyway... so I was chilling at some park listening to rap music... parks are tight (again)... THANKS, DOUG! DOUG OVER NATE ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. BUT ME OVER BOTH OF THEM... NATE < DOUG < DANIEL. IF YOU NEED A MATH TUTOR TO FIGURE IT OUT, EMAIL ME. WE'LL GET YOU AWAY^2.

JARED, WHAT'S COMING NEXT IS THE DELICIOUS CAKE.

JUST REMEMBER, NATE IS NOT SANTA CLAUSE!

KEV, OPEN THAT THREAD BACK UP!

IT'S SEVEN IN THE MORNING, I'M GOING TO GET AN OMELET, TRIPLE PORK! HAM,sausaGE AND BACON... SHHH DON'T TELL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!!... and cheese... cheese is a must. and a biscuit... ahhhhhhhh. it's going to be so good. you wish you were me right now... but only for the omelet. if you were me the rest of the time you'd probably go mad... whoa, crazy... craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

NATE IS ALSO NOT ZZ TOP. SORRY GUYS... JESUS JUST LEFT CHICAGO!

DANIEL,YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS OF NATE'S BEARD SINCE YOU CAN'T GROW ONE YOURSELF....But really though I do hope both of you make the cut. Bench Minor 2 is going to be the shit!! We will get people drunk with homebrew and home made FOUR LOKO (A Chicago product made in WI) and feed them amazing food! CBP has two amazing chefs and a lot of great cooks in our ranks. Count it! I hope to see lots of spectators, because this is going to be off the hook!

Midwest is best!!

i also hope we both get picked and when i meet him he yells everything he says

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST:

BEARD MAN implores you GMS to pick both of us. Not picking us both would be an affront to everything bike polo stands for. It would be like Mubarak staying around. It would be like... salmon and peanut butter sandwich... it would be like a jew and arab marriage (i can say that... there's one in my family... it you're keeping track my family is really abnormal... and you wonder why I'm so fucked up).

I know you can't trust him... but that doesn't mean he's not right on this one.

You and me beard man (and Rob Gee, too)... 2010 Chicago, burn it down (again).

Of course you hope I get picked... I'm awesome as hell. Hang ten... toezzz to the nozzzze... surfer lingo... you guys wouldn't know anything about it. PADDLE OUT, HAOLE! (look it up)

Sublime for bike polo president. I DON'T PRACTICE SANTERIA!!!!

thread sorta reopened here: http://leagueofbikepolo.com/forum/tournaments/2011/02/12/bench-minor-2-d...

whatchu know bout clause and sharp dressed men

hey Chicago have you found a court for this? just curious. can we see pictures?

When we have the right shit locked down you guys will know.

Public link for the draft: https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AoEwZGyVH38zdDdJQm...

Hey Chicago, i'm curious about the courts.

x2

- Beaver Boys * Milwaukee Bike Polo Club -

ha, joe did you realize this question was just asked ^^^^

sorry for being so instant Chicago, didn't mean to I promise.

Confirm/Deny

http://twitter.com/chicagoholdup/status/53507120510939136

I'm been sitting on these photos until this became official.

Dream court. Amazing location.

Thanks for posting these, Kev!!

Midwest is best!!

And that's all wintery, near dusk. Just think what mid-summer and daylight will bring.

hella good courts . I nearly ice skated ther 2 christmases ago but went to a bar to watch the bears instead coz none of the snowbound chicagans were playing polo.

whaaaaaaat!!! oh sweet baby jesus that's a beautiful location.

does any team need an equipment manager? gatorade bottles full of fourloko, on site malletcraft, wipe up that pool of blood-- i'm your huckleberry!

Check out today's groupon. Discount on Virgin from Chi-LA or Chi-SF.

Some one swictch my status to Drafted and I'll buy my Ticket otherwise I'm Victoria bound

Trade window closed.

Teams are locked.

No trades occurred right?

Correct. There were no trades.

sorry all, we emailed about trades but nothing fit everyone is happy with their line up.

Ifuckinglovepolo

Will there be any chance at housing for people not playing, just coming to party and heckle?

I know we already talked about this Kiersten, so you're good to go. For everyone else that would like to come and watch, there should be some housing for you on a first come, first served basis. E-mail me if you would like a place to stay and are not a player. meganmazzei@gmail.com

Midwest is best!!

I love love love that this is a legit question.

HEY YOU GUYS!! Bench Minor is getting closer and closer and I am trying to figure out where everyone will be putting their weary heads for the weekend. Please shoot me an e-mail if you would like free housing- meganmazzei@gmail.com. If you could also let me know if you're significant other is coming and your travel itinerary, that would be great!

Midwest is best!!

When is everyone else heading to Chicago? Anyone going to hang in MKE the week leading up?

At the moment im thinking of flying into Chi on Monday the 20th, catch the train to MKE on Tuesday morning. Spend Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday in MKE. Train back to Chi on Thursday arvo/Friday morn.

Would this make sense? MKE, when are you guys thinking of heading to Chi, and what days do you guys play polo?

Forget the train just hang in Chicago.
The more guests we have here in the run up to it the more likely it is that there will be polo every night that week.
By that time in the year our normal days are Wed, Fri, Sun but with everyone coming into town we could probably go all week with different sets of natives out on the courts.

Aaah! But I really wanna visit MKE!

OH! and you will, you will.

x2 Might as well hone your skills in the best place possible, plus we'd love to have you!

I like your polo.

And Greg and I arrive on wenesday !! ;)

Into Chi or MKE?

MKE.

.greg

probably late. friday night or saturday morn... it's 1 1/2 hrs away.

come to mke

- Beaver Boys * Milwaukee Bike Polo Club -

I just would like to point out that every member of the Cascade of Power qualified this past weekend for NA's (besides Jon whose team got a Wildcard spot). LET THE SHIT TALKING BEGIN!!! Also, everyone bring extra wheels because Rory has such a laser shot that it will break your wheels!

Midwest is best!!

hey any chance we could get this streamed live like what Ladies Army had? I wanna having a viewing party

Get rad

You should come to the viewing party at the side of the courts...

Hey y'all.
Happy sunny weather and lots of polo to you all.
Just wanted to drop in and let those interested in traveling to Chicago and spectating/partying with us all weekend that the wristbands which will be given to players for food/access to parties/and all the other wonderful amenities we will have prepared for you all will be available to spectators for a nominal fee. Goose Island has graciously given us the go ahead to include more than just players for these things, so find a ride, take off work, and get to Chicago for some world class polo in a gorgeous setting, and the loving embrace of the greatest polo family in the world.
GET EXCITED!

ben schicago wrote:

I would like to take the opportunity to say that Chris Williams and Jerod Walz are two of the best polo players I've ever had the privilege to set foot on the court with.

Also, super handsome.

We have secured an awesome location in downtown Chicago. You want to be here.

Is there a schedule for this yet?

Saturday - polo all goddamn day
Sunday - polo all goddamn day

The schedule of games is still up on the Draft Card.

To whom it may concern: are these games 50 or 60 minutes? If 60, I suggest scheduling in 10 minutes between each game.

I flick that on my sandwiches for flavor.

Ya, two halves, with a short break at half time and a short break between games. Maybe 25/5/25/5

Paul Ben and I came up with that, but i'm not sure if it's the final schedule.

Hey! I'm looking to go to Toronto or Ottawa after this to hang out before Northsides. Anyone going to have room for one more going back?

There's one car going down from Toronto but i think we might be full.

See you all in two weeks. I can't hardly wait. I am going to watch all the polo in the world.

Players, I have a question: What size shirt do you wear. I need a quick response, or I'll just do a general order. Thanks!

suzy

http://tinyurl.com/benchminor2-tshirts

suzy

Confirm or deny...there are a few players that are not actually going to this.. Doug d. And jerad...who wants to pick up woadie?

Portland United
www.eighthinch.com

I haven't heard anything...

Midwest is best!!

i got dibs dawg. besides, they don't want no table-clearing punk running around millennium park

pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me pick me

Even if there were openings, Slayson wouldn't be eligible since he didn't sign up for the original draft.

Midwest is best!!

confirmed: DD is not going.

never heard of this jerad person, sorry.

Cmon people...chombo and I want to play!!!!

Portland United
www.eighthinch.com

I want a piece of that action as well - so what's up GM/organizers, how are you gonna fill the spot/spots?

Is anyone driving from the East Coast? NYC, Philly, Pitts, etc.? I had wanted to ride there, and mapped out a route )1,000 miles from NY and 491 from PGH) but I have classwork obligations and a drive with some others would be more ideal and quite fun...I can chip in for gas, help out with driving, get to where you're at....

Ride, bake, polo, repeat.

In coming Non- Wounded , instigator, landing at 1115pm @ O'Hare on Friday 24th . No luggage , no expectations,just another blank page to be filled..................whose arrivin the same ish time and going straight to the afore mentioned blank page to help colour it in.(i have a crayons , markers , sharpies , airesols , and a bucket of paint)

Fates willing, the canvas should be painted and mostly set up by the time you arrive at the easel.

Take the Blue Line El from Ohare to the Washington stop. Go up any staircase from the station and walk east on Washington towards Millenium Park. Once in the park, walk past the colonade, the flowers, the bandshell, over the squigly bridge and turn left (North) towards Randolf St.

During the week, bikes are not allowed on the El trains during rush hours (7-9am, 4-6pm) so keep an eye on the clock when traveling to/from the airport.

Retired.

lucky wrote:

Fates willing, the canvas should be painted and mostly set up by the time you arrive at the easel.

Not after Team Cardinal paints it black!

Hey Matt , is that matt Black, Escalade Black or Tarmac black like all the blacks that converged as ya face planted on Bull Street in Savannah

I appreciate the directions and advice , thanx. Afore mentioned canvas may nevva be complete, but let us throw colour and darkness at it as only WE the Poloverse can.

Uh, why did the poster change from something pretty to something stupid?

Retired.

Thank you lucky...

I think its a great compromise between a gorilla and a badger.

lucky wrote:

Uh, why did the poster change from something pretty to something stupid?

seriously.. what the fuck is that thing???

Mom was a plow; dad, a bulldozer... duh.

MinneaPOLOgasm -----------[] ((((O

A gorilla.
With lipstick on.
Duh
Haven't you ever BEEN to Chicago?

Any one coming through LEX? with a seat?

Ifuckinglovepolo

Organizers, I will be bringing a laptop and a mobile internet hotspot court side. Thinking of doing stats.

can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this?! Prizes for highest scoring and most assists? Although assists are hard to track..

there will be no prizes.

the dark end (aka Bobb Todd, Marzipan, B.R. Fuck Face)

Oh what the fucvk... I'm not coming no more.

fixcraft.net

it's okay, playing polo with you is a prize in itself!

Awesome, Sven! I'm pretty sure we will be having a Chicago player keep stats, but the more the merrier! Also, Pete- I will be personally keeping stats of the Cascade of Power and will be giving baked goods to the person with the most assists and goals. : )

Midwest is best!!

Oh OK. I had asked but hadn't got a response. I'll figure out something else to do with my laptop then.

Maybe I'll look into getting a live audio stream going.

Abe and I were looking into streaming games live, but if you want to do it, that would be awesome. What do you need? I have a video camera..

suzy

I'll drop you an email and let you know what I have to offer.

got a webcam? lets get live video!

Get rad

No promises... but I appear to have a solution for a web cam.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bench-minor-2 - book mark that channel(if you hurry you can see my dog sitting on the couch)

If I broadcast it will be on there. I've never used my hotspot in Chicago. That is the only limiting factor.

get a webcam

Hey all you spectators that are coming from far and wide: Please e-mail me (meganmazzei@gmail.com) if you would like a place to rest your weary head for next weekend. Please do so ASAP as there are very few spots left available!! Captains- I will be e-mailing you contact info for where you are staying later today.

Midwest is best!!

Schedule here is confirmed: https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?hl=en_US&key=t7IBiJ1H8s...
* two 20 minute periods per game.
* one 5 minute intermission between periods.
* one 1 minute timeout per team per match.

i am 95% certain we decided on 25 minute halves. somebody confirm?

25 minutes. Please. I play 40 minute games all the time in teams of 3.

truth.

X2!!!!

Sounds like this is getting changed back to 25 min.

what's going on friday? pickup? where? halp!

We will be building the court Friday morning. Once it's ready we can have pick-up there till the evening registration.

Whats the plan for Thursday?

You all are free to explore the city on Thursday and there will be pick up at Garfield Park tonight whenever people decide to start playing. The lights go out at midnight, if I'm not mistaken.

Midwest is best!!

UPDATED EVENT INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Schedule

• Friday
    • 3 pm - Pick up at Daley Bicentennial Plaza
    • 8pm - Registration at Reggie's Rock Club, 2105 S State St. Show up at least to collect your registration info and sign the event waiver. If you don't sign, you don't play.
  • Saturday
    • 9:00 am – Breakfast / Team check-in at Daley Bicentennial Plaza
    • 10:00 am to 8:00 pm – round-robin matches
  • Sunday
    • 9:00 am – Breakfast / Teams meet at Daley Bicentennial Plaza
    • 10:00 am to 2:00 pm – finish remaining round-robin matches
    • 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm – single elimination brackets
    • 6:00 pm – Final Match
    • 8:00 pm – Closing Party at Cobra Lounge (235 N. Ashland Ave)

Schedule of matches

Saturday
    East West
    10:00:00 Simpson Joker
    11:00:00 Birdie Julian
    12:00:00 Williams Maija
    13:00:00 Joker Birdie
    14:00:00 Julian Maija
    15:00:00 Simpson Williams
    16:00:00 Birdie Maija
    17:00:00 Julian Simpson
    18:00:00 Joker Williams

Sunday

10:00:00 Maija Simpson
    11:00:00 Williams Birdie
    12:00:00 Joker Julian
    13:00:00 Birdie Simpson
    14:00:00 Maija Joker
    15:00:00 Williams Julian

Single Elimination bracket

16:00:00 1st place 4th place
    17:00:00 2nd place 3rd place
    18:00:00 FINAL

Each match will consist of two 25-minute halves and a five-minute halftime. There will be 5 minutes between each match. In addition, due to some of the additions noted below, we have accounted for this schedule to run a bit over.

Rules

The rules for Bench Minor II will follow the official NAH ruleset, with the following exceptions:

• Each team will have a one-minute timeout available to them for each match.
    • Time will stop after a goal is scored. If a team is taking too long to, A) return to their side after scoring or, B) make a line change, at the referee's discretion the clock will resume and the match will be on.

Also, a word on fighting......fighting will be allowed as long as the two people involved have both feet on the pedals of their bike and are NOT being supported by any other player or the boards. Fighting ends once one or both players have a foot off the pedals/on the ground. If two players engage in a fight of this kind, each will be given with a five-minute penalty. If one player initiates a fight and the target player does not retaliate, the five-minute penalty will be given to the player who initiated the fight.

Any player who continues to fight once either player has touched the ground will be ejected from the remainder of the match and not be allowed to play in the following match.

Any player who attempts to fight a referee will be removed from the tournament.

Any player who intentionally hits another player with a mallet will be removed from the tournament.

MAP OF IMPORTANT SHIT: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203584820283220563147.0004a5b31d05c5d4bd94f&msa=0&ll=41.882854,-87.615623&spn=0.124481,0.298004

Quote:

....this just made my day

"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"
www.burrobags.com

I couldn't resist!

now you just need to find the other person whos day was made by this information. then you can invite them to some fisticuffs. and have your ass handed to you. or maybe those fake teeth.

Mom was a plow; dad, a bulldozer... duh.

MinneaPOLOgasm -----------[] ((((O

I brought TPL caps if anyone is in need. $15 for 2.