Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles Riding in Circles

NA Hardcourt 2011 Tour Update

After many meetings and much deliberation, the Tournament Committee has a final structure for the 2011 Tour. Many thanks to Kev, Ben, Lisa, Kiersten, Sven, Coach, Justin, and my fellow SW regional reps Joker and Joel for their generous investment of time and knowledge.

Structure - 7 Qualifying Tournaments:
• Each NAH region (7 in total) is responsible for holding a two day tournament accommodating 32 or more teams. Swiss rounds on day one and double elimination on day two. This tournament must be held before July 12th. The current NAH Rules are to be used.

Calendar:
• Southwest – 32 teams – Phoenix, AZ, January 29-30 - Registration 1/12 at noon MST
• South Central – 36 teams – Little Rock, AR, March 26-27 - Registration 1/28 at noon CST
• Midwest – 48 teams – Bloomington, IN, May 21-22
• Cascadia - ?? teams - Portland, OR, May 21-22
• Southeast – 32 teams – Savannah, GA, May 28-29 - Registration March 4th at 11PM EST
• Northside – 48 teams – TBD, around July 1
• Eastside – 48 teams - June 11-12

Qualifier Registration:
• 75% of the available spots at each qualifier are reserved for teams with at least two players from the host region. The remaining spots (25%) are reserved for teams composed of 2 or more players from outside the region of the hosted tournament.
• Registration for each qualifier should not occur sooner than 2 weeks after the tournament has been announced on the LOBP. Registration should begin at least 30 days before the date of the qualifier.
• Ten days before the tournament begins, the 75%/25% regional restriction will be removed; opening any remaining spots to all teams, regardless of their regional makeup.
• Registration will be managed by NAH via the web and will be detailed in the near future. Registration info for each qualifier such as teams, participants and registration times will be made viewable to all.

NAHBPC Qualification and Registration:
• Players placing in the top 8 teams at each qualifier can register immediately for NAHBPC. Players are not required to stay on the team they qualified with. A team registering for NAHBPC must have at least two players that placed in the top 8 at one NAH qualifier.
• Players placing in the top 9-12 of teams at each qualifier can register immediately for the NAHBPC Wildcard tourney. Players can mix teams around, but at least two players registering on a team need to have been on a team placing in the top 12 at one qualifier.
• Official qualifer results will be published by NAH.
• All qualified registration must occur before July 15th at 12 noon EDT.
• Any unclaimed wildcard spots will be made available online for all to register at 12 noon EDT on July 18th. No qualification is required for this very limited number of spots.
• The number of wildcard teams advancing to the championship tournament will be determined shortly after the close of qualified registration (July 15th at 12 noon EDT).

Wildcard Tourney:
• One day Swiss Rounds tourney with 32 teams.
• The number of spots advancing is equal to 64 minus the number of qualified teams that have registered for the NAHBPC. As an example, the top 8 wildcard spots will advance if 56 teams register for the NAHBPC.

So Dpi3 is gonna be a NA qualifier tourny? very interesting. So nothing in the southwest AFTER this will matter? cause I am expecting AT least 2 more southwests before NA

Every polo tournament in the Southwest is sacred! However, DPI III is the only tournament in the Southwest region where you can secure a spot at the 2011 NAHBPC in Calgary. We are free to attend and secure a spot at any of the seven qualifiers in North America.

I have been wondering about reg. fees for this. Its free you say? Can't wait to go back out there!

Every polo everywhere is sacred. I have reminded many people that there will be great tourneys in SW and around the world. There are Bench Minors and Ladies Armies and Lock Ins and Campouts; come to SF and we'll throw a tourney just for you. Grab your bike and a mallet and play.

We want everyone to have a shot at the Championship. Everyone can do their regional, and most likely another regional or even all 7 regionals if that's their want. There are wildcards to give people yet another shot. The bottom

line is there is only one NA champ and we tried to create a fair path to get there.

Well done everyone, looks like you've done a fine job with this. Thanks for all your hard work, and let the games begin!

Awesome. You reps have my deepest gratitude for all of your work. Grand Rapids is getting serious with our local authorities, organization like this helps our cause immensely.

Thanks for this! I was talking to Joker about this a few weeks ago. I appreciate your guys hard work.

Aight Portland: Step up! You's guys should hold the Cascadia qualifier. I know that Pullman wants to do it and I think they would do well but, uh, Portland? You all would do sooooooo well. Do it!

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

There are actually three submissions on the books for a Cascadia qualifier and your regional reps are dilligently considering these proposals. We'll get back to everyone in a few weeks to inform you when this qualifer will be. Appreciate your patience on this one.

I got a question on this last night and wanted to answer it here, as I am sure other people might have the same question and we spent a good deal of time discussing it when we prepared this approach.

Question:
If there are one or more teams in the top eight of a regional tournament that have already qualified, would the ninth place (or lower) teams then qualify?

Answer:
What it will do is open up more wildcard spots at the pre-qualifying tournament in Calgary.

Discussion/Justification:

* we don't believe that teams/players qualifying in more than one regional will be a predominant issue
* it's not like someone from out of region can 'steal' your spot, as you can also go qualify in other regions
* having teams at regional tournaments that end up qualifying more than once means that more teams from the wildcard tourney advance to the NA championship
* we want to open up more wildcard spots if possible
* if you come in ninth you qualify anyway, albeit for the wildcard
* when you get down to fifth place, you are dealing with numerous similarly placed teams including four for ninth place. This means there wouldn't just be one ninth place team, there would be four teams that technically qualify for that one open spot. We decided that dealing with that tie would be difficult to do fairly and opening more spots in the wildcard tournament was more desirable.
* If we adjusted placements to exclude the already qualified, tournament organizers would have a difficult task of deciding 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th places (and maybe more)

We are trying to balance two goals here: Regional representation and having the best teams compete at North Americans.

Hope that helps!

anyone traveling to NAHBPC from outside of canada better make damn sure they are even allowed into the country. i know i'm not allowed entry due to their zero-tolerance policies and anyone else with any sort of criminal record, even excessive traffic violations could be in the same boat. i can't imagine i'm the only one out there in the polo community that has been to jail before... check into it.

talk shit and burn bridges

anyone wanna sneak my DUI-gettin ass through the border?
im 2 years in, and i hear they wont give you a "Rehabilitation Pass" until its been at least 5 years. And that pass could cost you $200
:(

give blood. play polo.

holyshit. i guess I'm out be a "violent offender" and all
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312E2.asp

Are Canaidan citizenship and immigration officials going to be bombarded with Americans requesting sanctuary in the coming months??

do you think it would help?

talk shit and burn bridges

If it's not going to hurt your cause, you should really get to Canada to play polo - whatever it takes! (Legally is always a good option...)

Great information. . Thanks Again Mike(PHX) and EVERYONE involved in this process past and future. Keep up the good work and create a championship that will rule our world this year. I'm excited to try and get my team locked down in a spot for the championships.

3 2 1!!!

do the defending champions have to qualify or are they guaranteed a spot in Calgary?

and it's falling off the sides like back fat

I think this is a fair question. I didn't finish tops (congrats chris) but did finish third at NA's last year. Was there any discussion of previous NA performance lending preferential treatment? I realize this complicates matters but was wondering what the nature of the discussion surrounding it was (assuming it was even broached by the committee).

it's a new year boys if you got what it takes , and i know you both do, you'll make it again. Did the Lakers get automatic place in the playoffs last year? Did the Saints get an automatic in to the super bowl this year? Nope. they have to earn their way back just like everyone else.

To the extent we discussed it, this was a common sentiment. Top players/teams should have plenty of opportunity to get a spot with this arrangement.

Broberts thanks for asking this question . I think "plenty of opportunity" is a big time exaggeration. Tournaments need defending champs to be there to defend their title or else they will lack a major competitive dynamic. Therefore they should be 100% assured of a sport regardless of this season qualifications. What happens if Broberts breaks his arm and cant play in these qualifiers or breaks his bike in the tournament and plays the rest on a clown bike. They should have plenty of opportunity but shit happens. Set the precedent now.

That sentiment is out there as well. The challenge is that we have teams and individuals. Its hard to 'qualify' individuals when everyone must register as a team.

Here's an idea...the top three TEAMS could be automatically registered if they wish to do so. If the full Team does not register (I.e., the team breaks up for whatever reason) then the Individuals must qualify on another team like everyone else.

We could do top four or five teams too, maybe. This is just an idea and up for public comment, ridicule, whatever.

Another thought that was tossed around is that since we are implementing a completely new system this year, we start with a clean slate and for next year, the top four would automatically qualify for 2012 NAs.

Also, the above rules carefully state that if Capriotti and Nick (or Ian, sorry I can't remember) qualify separately, cause Broberts broke his arm, he can still play with them, because 2 of the 3 players have qualified. All Broberts has to do is heal in time for NAs.

There are a lot of powerhouse players in this sport right now, but given how fast its evolving I'm not sure it makes sense to give precedents to a team that can't keep it together more then one year in a row. The big boys (and girls) will still make the big plays and make it to the top. If you take a couple months off to be lazy someone is going to get better then you, and you don't deserve a gimmee spot.

BribriMKE wrote:

Tournaments need defending champs to be there to defend their title or else they will lack a major competitive dynamic. Therefore they should be 100% assured of a sport regardless of this season qualifications. What happens if Broberts breaks his arm and cant play in these qualifiers or breaks his bike in the tournament and plays the rest on a clown bike. They should have plenty of opportunity but shit happens. Set the precedent now.

Tournments only need defending champs if they're still winning. otherwise get the fuck off the court and make way for the rest of us. I your bike breaks in the middle of NA does that mean you automatically make it to Worlds? fuck no. you win or lose based on how well you take care of your bike and how well you plan ahead. The only thing that winning last years tournament guarantees is that this year some of us are gunning for you.

Not taking bike polo seriously enough.

X2

I need a sugar momma so I can work less and play polo more!!

muffin wrote:

The only thing that winning last years tournament guarantees is that this year some of us are gunning for you.

+1000

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

NFL, NHL restart every year with no special treatment.

muffin wrote:
BribriMKE wrote:

Tournaments need defending champs to be there to defend their title or else they will lack a major competitive dynamic. Therefore they should be 100% assured of a sport regardless of this season qualifications. What happens if Broberts breaks his arm and cant play in these qualifiers or breaks his bike in the tournament and plays the rest on a clown bike. They should have plenty of opportunity but shit happens. Set the precedent now.

Tournments only need defending champs if they're still winning. otherwise get the fuck off the court and make way for the rest of us. I your bike breaks in the middle of NA does that mean you automatically make it to Worlds? fuck no. you win or lose based on how well you take care of your bike and how well you plan ahead. The only thing that winning last years tournament guarantees is that this year some of us are gunning for you.

do you know who you're talking to?

some pompous ass who thinks he deserves special treatment because he got hot one week in berlin.
Make no mistake about it, I have no grand illusions about being a better polo player then you, but that doesn't mean you don't have to earn your way like the rest of us. And I'm certainly going to train my ass off in the hopes of being the guy that pulls a Montreal Canadians on your ass, sending you to the worlds wild card tournament.

Not taking bike polo seriously enough.

*Canadiens

proper...

"got hot one week"? LOL! dillman has been on fire all year long.

i understand your point about no special treatment, but i also look forward to an Olympia vs Milwaukee match.

Oh boy!

Oh boy! is right. I also can't wait for an OLY/MKE game. Good times!

Oh, come on dude. No one likes that attitude...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

What/ where is the precedence for this idea? I'm sorry but I do not understand this entitlement. Its a new season earn your way to the top.

x2 and 2x on that with where it's coming from.
TY Jake.

You'll see. Unless you drilled out your eyes because they were too heavy.

what happens if broberts breaks his arm or his bike...the same thing that happens if anyone breaks their arm or their bike...the way it should be...and if "plenty of opportunity" is a big time exaggeration then shouldn't everyone be equally butthurt and crying about the unfairness of having to earn it? step it up this year people! don't let these arrogant, entitled, pseudo-celebrity assholes even have this to whine about next year...

I think everyone should settle down with this online shit talking... BE COOL, MAN, BE COOL! CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

its cool...its the internet after all and should be taken as such...shit's funny...but yeah, i AM coming for that number one spot, hahaha.

Yes. Fuck the fucking internet.

But really honestly its good to get people's opinions out there in the open.

just goes to show you what I mean....Saints and Patriots are out of the NFL playoffs. EARN YOUR SPOT each and every year

Perfect explanation!

this has been discussed....but....what are you scared you won't qualify??? C'mon You're a sure in!!

cite legitimate sports precedents...or better yet shut the fuck up, play some clean, high class polo and fucking earn it!

Clean slate for 2011.

Word!

ben schicago wrote:

Clean slate for 2011.

He said it...

This looks great, everyone!! Thank you all for all the hard work you have put in thus far and will put in, in the future!! Kudos!!

Midwest is best!!

xoxox

"So this is how it ends"MACHINE

BriBriMKE wrote" What happens if Broberts breaks his arm and cant play in these qualifiers or breaks his bike in the tournament and plays the rest on a clown bike" .........I was on top of my game takin 5th in Sf and 8th(not strictly polo) in Victoria then seperated my shoulder (8 1/2 months) out and ended up DFL in Sf the next year to start my come back. No charity needed See ya on the podium.

Yep, you'll be on the podium... just below Team Gravy Pants!
See ya there!

Lefty Bullshit!

"The remaining spots (25%) are reserved for teams composed of 2 or more players from outside the region of the hosted tournament."
I am vehemently against this rule. i think that registration should be locked to 100percent regional teams. Who the fuck allowed teams from other regions to play in other regions... This is so fucking stupid. If your going to institute rules and hold official tourneys. Don't do a broke dick job of it.

"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"
www.burrobags.com

florida!

Some one has to be upset or it would just not be right!

afraid of a yankee takeover come spring?

it'd be silly to limit some of the regionals (at least this year), while I wish the opposite true, I doubt very much the southeast could (as of now) field a full 48 teams. Same might be said of another region or two.

so much better to keep it open as long as possible

great job NAHBP!

so...how about 25% of open slots that remain unfilled...it would suck to see teams from the region not even get to compete in their own qualifier and potentially miss out on the NAs because of some loophole...if spots are open though then it should be first come first serve with at least one regional player...bring on the out of towners! I'll no longer be a southeast player myself...

I think that's actually the goal of the "25% rule". It's not like once they reach 36 regional teams they shut down registration and shout "bring on the canadiens!" The idea being that if all the slots don't fill up then bring on the outsiders, with 25% being the maximum.

Hopefully one of the NAH regional reps can clarify this.

Nope, registration opens up at the same time for everyone, but only 25% of the teams can come from outside the region.

The regions created by NAH mean pretty much nothing outside of NAH (with the exception maybe of the Cascadia Independence movement, and some Midwest pride outside of polo). 

When it comes down to it, NAH doesn't really care who is the best team is some hodgepodge set of states and/or provinces, and neither should you.  I mean, champion of the Northside region in the NAH means champion of Michigan/Ontario/Quebec/Upstate NY/VT/Maine.  It means NOTHING.  Who cares?

However, i think we'd all like to see represenation from all regions at NAHBPC and Worlds, including those that have less talent, and the system we've devised virtually guarantees this, while also guaranteeing the best teams will get a lot of games against each other in Calgary. The system will evolve in 2012, but we're moving from a system that was totally open to one that will have to be more and more regulated, and this weird hybrid thing is going to work well.

Just like you can be division leader in NHL or NFL or the AL or the NL, you still have to play teams in other divisions during the season.   I follow NHL and i never look at the Division standings, they just don't matter, other than as an administrative tool to cut down travel times for players by having them play more against teams located close to them.  Very few news sources even print them.

Thanks Kevin! isn't that what i'm saying though.. that 25% is just the maximum number of outsiders, right?

Let me ask it like this. Let's say more than 36 midwestern teams wanna sign up for midwesterns, and less than 12 non-midwestern teams sign up.... what happens to those extra spots? Midwesterns get 'em, right?

We can't force outside teams to play a tourney just to satisfy a ratio....

Right

Except that a division leader is guaranteed a top 3 conference ranking and a playoff spot.

Yes but top 3 is a seeding for NHL playoffs, while NAHBPC will be Swiss rounds, no seeding and no home ice advantage.

read kev above...if that outsider 25% registers quicker than locals who may not have the time and money to travel to other regionals they miss their chance...not only to play in the NAs and worlds but even in their own backyard. isnt the NAs sole purpose to find out who is the best in all of NA and not each regional? as it stands its like multiple mini-NAs funneling into the one big NAs...a team that might be the best in their region could get a bad draw and play 2 top teams (double elim) from elsewhere and then that region wouldn't truly be represented by its best players and by extension the NAs wouldn't have an accurate representation of the best from all over (each separate region)...unless we mean only the best in NA should compete at the NAs which should negate any regional exclusivity and any pretense that these are "regional"...which once again is what the actual NAs are for, no? if the NAs goal is to get an even sampling of regional style and talent and to showcase a showdown between those differing styles and talents then regional qualifiers make sense...right?
i could give a shit if it seems like i'm complaining...just wondering how its going to feel for regions if the top 9 out of 36 or the top 12 out of 48 teams in the qualifier each only have one player from their region...that means literally 9 to 12 players from their entire region will be invited to the NAs...who doesn't like to watch the young guns step up and shine and the new blood cut their teeth among the best?

im personally looking forward to some of the douchey entitled players getting their come-uppance from some of the under the radar teams this season...especially when they go through the expense and trouble to travel merely to receive an ass-whooping...hilarious.

jasonfortlauderdale wrote:

isnt the NAs sole purpose to find out who is the best in all of NA and not each regional?

if the NAs goal is to get an even sampling of regional style and talent and to showcase a showdown between those differing styles and talents then regional qualifiers make sense...right?

Notice how you just stated two different goals? This is what we're trying to balance.

I could give a shit if i'm going to stop being all diplomatic and shit for a second, but didn't you and Polofuries win the FL champs two years in a row, pretty much the only geographically locked down tourney in NA?

if the two are so disparate then why the pretense of "regional" tournaments...unless its literally a logistical thing or just titular...don't get the impression that i'm complaining...i can't wait to earn my spot and serve up some humble pie...

yes, we won and we were not given preferential treatment as "defending champs"...what does that have to do with the NAs? we have one regional tournament a year because we want to develop our community as an actual community and the camraderie fosters and encourages local players to want to improve and travel and experience the larger world of polo...plus everyone gets to play with and against the new school and the most experienced in the region. its just a friendlies with a championship theme...

if the two are so disparate then why the pretense of "regional" tournaments...unless its literally a logistical thing or just titular...

It's not a pretense. The system is designed to accomplish both goals as much as possible. Your teammate who started off this subthread turned this into an all or nothing thing, you seem to agree with him.

don't get the impression that i'm complaining...

Your teammate's vitriol, who you seem to be backing up in this sub-thread, doesn't help.

yes, we won and we were not given preferential treatment as "defending champs"...what does that have to do with the NAs? .

It's not about the defending champs issue, if you need me to spell it out, i was suggesting that you maybe you only won it, twice, because it was a closed system that you and your teammate who are advocating a closed regional system have benefited from. I have nothing against closed tournaments, but if all NAHBPC regional qualifiers were closed, we would accomplish only regional representation at NAHBPC, and not the goal of having the best teams. The system for 2011 is far from perfect, but it's a hybrid that can be somewhat easily administered by a bunch of volunteers, and doesn't require polo players to fly/trainhop around the continent collecting points at tourneys. If they have any hope in hell in placing well at NAHBPC, they will easily qualify in their region.

x

jason -the 25% allows for teams that come from stacked regions to go compete for a spot in a less competitive region. sure it'll take spots away from regional teams, but isn't the goal to put the most competitive teams in the NA's and worlds?

i get it...its just that they shouldn't be called regionals but rather "opens" or "qualifiers" since they are first come first serve for everyone...for me the idea of a regional (in any sport) is to get the best teams from that specific region...i agree the NAs should be the best teams competing. i do think that even with the regionals functioning as actual exclusive regionals good teams would earn their spots as wildcards and at wildcard tourneys if they deserved to be at the NAs...if you can't top 3 as a wildcard you probably aren't the best NA has to offer, no?

i said repeatedly i'm not complaining about the 25%...i look forward to earning my spot against players from any region...and its strange that i'm appearing to defend Jared's perceived "vitriolic" comments just because he had some valid points that i'm sure others are wondering about as well...its not some concerted effort to undermine the NAH...

what's everyone think about the fact that if a player has the sponsorship/means to travel to every qualifier then they will literally have 5 to 6 times the chances and potentially take away the chance from 12 local players who would maybe travel to a few close tournaments and the NAs and the worlds...and if it takes you multiple tries you probably aren't the best NA has to offer anyway...

i've still never played against you dustin...can't wait...definitely one of the more classy and talented players out there...

it also encourages people to travel and play polo in different places, which is awesome. definitely lean towards allowing a more diverse crowd at tournaments rather than limiting them though. just seems.... limiting!

x2

I like your polo.

so it's just the title you don't like?? OK fine don't think of them as regionals then, think of them as open....but we did it this way to try and make a qualifying tourney relatively close to everyone. So think of them as an open qualifier in each region....

Think about the other side of your agrument....what if you are sick the week of your regions qualifier...You may be one of the best teams in NA, but you do poorly at your own regional and now you have no chance to get in.....bet you'd want a chance to qualify somewhere else then....

after the swiss rounds it's a seeded double elim (top teams vs bottom teams)....so if a team is the best in the region they won't be meeting any other top teams in the draw until the later rounds. You're argument doesn't make sense.

You're not taking everything into consideration. We are looking at all aspects of things. Take off Hoser!

www.burrobags.com

Dude, what's your problem? You're more than welcome to hop on up to Cascadia and test your mettle here. Welcome. We LOVE it when folks travel to our region.

the thing is, the NAH regions are all arbitrary. people might agree on some lines but not others. Lawrence is in the south central region even though they're an hour and a half away from columbia. and the midwests in bloomington are going to be just as far of a drive for us as the south central championships in little rock.

i'd like it if people played in their neighborhood more often, but in the end people just want to go to as many tournaments as they can. as more and more clubs pop up, maybe there will be more tournaments held more often in each region and crossing arbitrary lines wont be as much of an issue. but then we'd never meet people from outside our "region"....

Unfortunately thats just the nature of drawing lines on a map. Its gotta go somewhere.

Look at the NHL. Detroit is in the central division with Nashville, which is atleast 3 times as further from Detroit than Buffalo or Toronto.
And as far as East/West conference? Its split 3/4 of the way across the damn continent!

No one has ever been prevented from playing in a tourney due to where they're from. We tried to find the best balance between pure regional and pure open registration.

If you're looking for something broke dick to bitch about I suggest you start with that lopsided turd of a shot in your picture.

one second, are you the old dude that's falling over, the guy with 20 inch wheels, or mr. super fresh wheel cover? do tell.

hhaaha, last time i checked, i hold the record for the fastest shot in the world and have played in more countries than you ever will. This is coming from some old dude with upside down mustache bars? PLease, leave the personal attacks out of this, because A. I don't give a shit. Just rolls right off me. B. Spit in my face, i'll shit in your bed.

www.burrobags.com

Jared I have seen you play and yes you are a good player but your attitude towards trying to get this tour started is not helping. Try to be a little more positive or be proactive and help out and try to change it in a way with out pissing people off. Don't worry this is not an attack on you, I have only met you once so I am not going to trash you. Just relax a bit, it will get better!

no worries ! i don't care anymore, i was never mad. i just like rustling poeples feathers. I was being pro-active by puting in my input.. that's all i really can do.. That's all we got !

www.burrobags.com

oh, stop worrying, you don't even have to go to the qualifiers anyway....fastest shot in the world qualifies automatically. You get a bye to the semi finals actually. Pick a couple teammates and see you at Worlds.

Still clutching at that straw?

ThePoloFuries wrote:

hhaaha, last time i checked, i hold the record for the fastest shot in the world and have played in more countries than you ever will. This is coming from some old dude with upside down mustache bars? PLease, leave the personal attacks out of this, because A. I don't give a shit. Just rolls right off me. B. Spit in my face, i'll shit in your bed.

i have been reading this topic for a while and been listening to your BITCHING AND WHINING jared about how you are this great player riding around on this white horse bla bla bla i have seen you play buddy and i am not empressd your polo skills are ruthless and your shots are weak but this topic is not about pepoles shittey polo skills this topic is about how how lisa justin and mr green bike and all the other reps spented weeks months comeing up with a format that IS going to work this sport has evold so much thier has to be change i remember everybody BITCH about useing nets but know its like what the fuck is cones before it was all the top A players that got to play in the na"s and the C and B players had no chance to even get to the top eight but now if you have lets say 2 C players and one A player and you come in 6th in you regional tourney NOW those C players have a shot at the na's take it from someome that CAN"T even go to a regional tourney to qualify i have to wait for the wild card tourney to play but i am not bitching about it even if i cant play i will still come to this tourney
WHY YOU ASK because i am thier to support to support the people that work hard on this format to support the EVBP players that go
i am not the greatest polo player BUT IAM A PROUD ONE i would be hourned to play and meet with some of the greatest players in the world and sit down and drink beer with them and support them and have a good time that robbie boardz and DAM proud of it

so jared dont be such a asshole be supportive if you are this hot player you say you are then you will have no problem qualifying
or are you pissed off because the NA,S are in calgary and that means you got to leave in june to get thier in august because you are such a cheap asshole you got to train hop oh well you better start planing and you better pack your tofo because calgary does not have vegges man they only have TOP GRADE A BEEF ON A BUN AND FOR YOU SINGLES GUYS HOT COWGIRLS

robbie i am proud to play polo boardz

two asshole's don't make it right"
BUTT three asshole's make a good team"

damn only january 19 and we already have the post of the year

OMG, yes! Love you Robbie!

The wording here is problematic; the 25% is open to all.

Qualifiers will neither be locked to regions, nor will they be allowed to be overrun.

ThePoloFuries wrote:

"The remaining spots (25%) are reserved for teams composed of 2 or more players from outside the region of the hosted tournament."
I am vehemently against this rule. i think that registration should be locked to 100percent regional teams. Who the fuck allowed teams from other regions to play in other regions... This is so fucking stupid. If your going to institute rules and hold official tourneys. Don't do a broke dick job of it.

QUIT BITCHING IF YOUR ARE AS GOOD AS YOU SAY YOU ARE THEN THE YOU CAN GO SOME WHERE AND PLAY LIKE YOU DO A FUCKIN DICK OR ARE YOU BITCHING BECAUSE YOU TEAM SUCKS OR IS IT BECAUSE YOU REALY CANT TRAIN HOP
ROBBIE

I imagine there will be a few teams out there that will finish top eight in more than one of these qualifiers, will that just end up being one more spot in the wild-card tourney or do you have other ideas of handling that?

• Any unclaimed wildcard spots will be made available online for all to register at 12 noon EDT on July 18th. No qualification is required for this very limited number of spots.

I guess it's also likely that having open qualifiers will lead to having more unclaimed wildcard spots but I read and understood that.

I was wondering if there was any consideration given to awarding multiple qualification to teams that are already qualified from another tournament? I guess people taking more than one spot will increasing the number of unclaimed NA spots and make more available to the wildcard tourney. That is fair. But if say, your tournament can skip awarding qualification to teams already qualified then maybe later tournaments could give out qualification deeper then 8 or twelve. Would that be fair?

This has already been clarified in another post. If a team is already qualifies in one tourney, and rank high enough in another to qualify, that spot is opened as a wild card slot.

The problem with allocating more spots to one tourney is that rankings 9-13 are tied positions using a double elim format. To me its more fair for those 4 teams all to have a shot at the spot through the wildcard process than for one to take a spot because they had a 1 goal better +/-

Also, how would you decide WHICH tourney would take those extra spots. Don't you think its very arbitrary to just give one region more slots? Opening the position as a wildcard slot is the only fair way for everyone to have an equal chance at qualifying.

question: is the NA Championship going to be a qualifier for Worlds?

Yes. To be eligible to play worlds 2 of the 3 players on your team must have placed in the top 16 at NA's.

I dont know how many times that has been said.

patience is a virtue Lewis, this is nothing to get your panties in a wad over

Quote:

i literally do not know how many times that has been said. i searched to no avail, and so i asked. please show me where it was said many times.

hellochris wrote:
Quote:

i literally do not know how many times that has been said. i searched to no avail, and so i asked. please show me where it was said many times.

searched too, and was also about to ask the same question about worlds

I've set up a temporary page that has a bunch of these NAH related threads, including these numbers. Soon enough NAH will have their own website. Check out http://leagueofbikepolo.com/nah, it's also on the menu up top on the right.

I, for one, am still awaiting "official" word from the World's organizers on this question.

Repetition is orthogonal to veracity.

The original proposal was 16 from NA, 16 from Europe, 8 from other places, and 8 from a wildcard tourney. Those numbers were based on a worst case scenario 3 courts. Messman just hinted that there may be up to ten courts, so those numbers will probably go up.

Thank you

kev wrote:

16 from NA

Do you think this will be based strictly on performance in Calgary? Can one get a spot at Worlds without playing in Calgary?

The question is really for Worlds organizers, and a different thread.

polojoel wrote:
kev wrote:

16 from NA

Do you think this will be based strictly on performance in Calgary? Can one get a spot at Worlds without playing in Calgary?

wondering this myself.

def not getting to calgary, but would love to play in the worlds in seattle, even in a wild card tourny.

I'm going to do the same thing this year. Can't make it to Canada but will for sure be in Seattle this year. My only hope for World's is a medium to large size Wild Card Tourney. Here's hoping.

x2 on the hope!

i'm imagining 96 wildcards competing for 4 slots.

i wonder if a team that qualifies for NAHs and cant make it to Calgary due to 'criminal activity' , can they be allowed first dibs on the wildcard spot for Worlds? Like if they place 1st in a 46 team qualifier and 2 out of the 3 players are 'undesirables' in Canadia.... what then? see ya next year??

give blood. play polo.

You can't possibly expect NAH to make personal exceptions because of completely unrelated 'criminal activity'. That's stupid. A wild card is a wild card. From a place of absolutely no authority, I'm saying that no they will not be given any special treatment whatsoever.

fixcraft.net

doubleeeeeeeee

fixcraft.net

Probably not. Too many other excuses can also be made for someone not being able to get to Calgary.

In other words, get new teammates. j/k. see you at the world's wild card tourny if it happens.

Who gets the say on the 25% outsider slots? Do regional reps make the decision for NAH or is it treated as a first come first serve thing?

I would imagine the regional reps are given some sort of power regarding this.

first come first served

Firts come, first served with regional reps monitoring it.

But for real muffin do you know who your talking to?

140x65

does it matter?

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

x2

Muffin: Hi! Easy on the leavening.

Kremin: If I've got the right guy, his bike broke at PDXII or he would have won everything last year.

My opinion: prev year's world champs ought to get into the next year's worlds big fat tourney of top teams if as a team. And it's probably a moot point because y'all will surely kick plenty ass this year to get there.

Deivn

edit: Apologies - I realize I sound like a dick in this and perpetuating the same stuff that wigs me out. Anyway, I shouldn't be fun jabbing at you like a good old friend (who I might have met once or I'm probably mixed up). Devin

--
Credo quia absurdum

Where are the Cascadia regionals going to be?! Anyone?

We'll know in a week or so, but looks like it's between Edmonton, Calgary, Pullman, and Portland.

i just read through this thread and i want to stab out my eyeballs

don't you mean have them pecked out?

x2

the royal turkey wrote:

i just read through this thread

well there's your problem

x2

Ride, bake, polo, repeat.

try reading the southeast thread.

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

x2

We play polo in the ATL

Yah no kidding, if you are not part of the region you will not be getting a southern welcome!

damn right. The south don't take kindly..

www.burrobags.com

Lots do but some are just dicks!

ThePoloFuries wrote:

damn right. The south don't take kindly..

ha ha. is fort lauderdale in "the south" now?

american by birth southern by the grace of god.

Registration opens for Tour Stop 1: DPI III in Tempe, AZ on Wednesday January 12th at High Noon, Mountain Time. That's 11am PST. Any registrations received before this time will be ignored. Registration is located here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEg2QnZDQmc0SW1zYlhJOW5...

As teams register for DPI III they can be seen here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Autj3tqs5MHTdEg2QnZDQmc0SW1zYlh...

If registration doesn't fill up, remaining spots will be open to all on Wednesday January 19th at High Noon, Mountain Time

some canadians might have all ready bought tickets before this was announced as a regional tournament... food for thought...

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

I'm pretty certain that you can register (as an outsider) as soon as registration opens. I'm not quite sure what is meant by "opens to all" a week later.

kev wrote:

Nope, registration opens up at the same time for everyone, but only 25% of the teams can come from outside the region.

Basically the 75/25 restriction is removed if any spots remain on 1/19.

What's up with the teams that registered before Noon? Do they have to re-register now or something? Maybe in the future we can make it so the registration isn't accessible until registration opens to avoid early signups (whether they're intentional or accidental). Just a thought. I don't see it being a big problem this time, there's only a few, and still lots of room for teams, but I could see it creating problems in the future at some tournaments. Maybe we can think of a solution now before problem occurs...just wanted to point that out.

These teams haven't paid yet, which is what makes your registration official, as mike noted. so they haven't really registered yet. But ya in the future maybe we'll publish the link at the last second.

We are doing the registration for NA's on paypal so could you start something with a list of players that are able to register for NA's and the wild card tourney so that we can make sure there are one sneaks in. Maybe just make a page on Gmail where the NAH sponsorship stuff is and I can just check there?

I'm not super-excited about this setup - with teams outside the region being able to qualify @ these events, thus pushing others who might have otherwise secured a spot into a wildcard position - and the biggest reason is because some people can't just "go to more tournaments." Obviously, the regional event would be the easiest, and likely least costly, event to attend; and factors such as increased reg. fees, general travel expenses and maybe not having a very flexible work schedule would deter some from being able to just "try again" at another event ... but with that said I understand that it was not easy to establish any system, let alone this system, which - for all its perceived and potential flaws - is a reasonable one, with fairly clear-cut procedures. I don't agree with it 100%, but I fully commend the NAH committee for going through the pains of determining the parameters of this system. Thanks guys & gals, good look.

Ride, bake, polo, repeat.

(Bits of this are drawn from what I just posted in the SE thread.)

Kryxtanicole - very fair, much appreciated; Fraser's likening to "neither fish nor foul" is apt.

Hardcourt is early in development. Right now, the state of hardcourt suggests that a 75/25 compromise is the right choice. This may never happen again. We're just trying to affect the best compromise. This year has seen improvements, next year will see them as well. Chances are that down the road, circumstances will again require us to try something unconventional. This is a process.

Furthermore, there are benefits to calculated experimentation. It's what ultimately creates the unique form of any game. A time-honored, refined sport we might use as a template to criticize or praise our decisions probably had it's own period of trying new organizational features that are now regarded as "standards."

Anyway, it's great to see everyone engaged in this. Just saying.

x2!!

Midwest is best!!

I'm not excited about this setup either. Maybe I have a skewed perspective coming from and intensely sporting part of the country where adherence to residency and specific conferences borders on manic, but If you guys purport to take bike polo so seriously as a real sport with a national organization and qualifying structure, this just seems like another year of getting it half right.

The game is in that awkward fish nor fowl stage right now, with newer folks being pushed out and discouraged by accommodations to the traveling poloistas and yet still no widespread respect or credibility within the sporting community. Shits mad gay. Maybe resolved by 2012? Who knows.

frazer wrote:

Shits mad gay.

Any reason or credibility you had just went out the window.

To you or anyone else who has an issue with the way things are going this year. Why don't you step up the plate and put your hand up to be a regional rep and start playing a role. You have every opportunity to have input in this decision making process but it appears that a lot of you would rather just talk crap on the internet.

Less talk, more walk.

YES thank you, thats what I am talking about!! X10 Billion. If you don't like don't be involved, no one is forcing you to play!

kinda wish we had a "times a million" button here. nice call lulu.

I thought he made a decent point. As someone who hasn't quite figured out how he exactly feels about this system, I thought it was a valid input in forming my particular views on the subject. You don't have to be a regional rep to want to include your opinion in the discussion, and his opinion was totally valid, regardless of your thoughts on his use of the word 'gay'.

Let's not add linguistics to the list of things to discuss here. His opinions were well-worded, and 'gay' is a colloquialism whether you like it or not so it would be better if you'd just overlook it for the sake of this specific discussion.

And no one is telling you that you don't deserve to include your opinion based on the fact that you don't even live in North America. Everyone is welcome to speak their mind. This is called a 'forum'. Since you're so interested in the meaning of words, I suggest you look up what that specific one means.

fixcraft.net

Well, I'm pretty gay right now.

I'm so gay I'm riding my polo bike in tiny circles around my basement.

fixcraft.net

His use of the word gay may be colloquial but it does not by any means make it acceptable.

Of course he is entitled to his opinion and yes, this purpose of this forum is for people to have input. But when you do it in a non-supportive manner and use such childish "colloquialisms", its not so constructive. What I said about involvement was not a personal attack on him, but it certainly applies. Especially when he's asking whether it will be better in 2012.

You're right, I don't live in NA - currently. But I just spent nearly 5 months in NA, playing in 5 big tournaments in that time. I'm also currently working on my papers to move to Canada. I will be back in time to attempt to qualify for NA's and this may constitute my attempts for qualification for Seattle. So this does affect me and I have every right to input too

Lots of people have put in really hard work to get this happening for this year. They have volunteered all this time, for their love of the game. They aren't getting paid and its proving to be a pretty thankless roll. No its not a perfect system yet. What do you expect? They are creating this model from the ground up, and the negativity coming from a lot of people isn't helping.

Please by all means continue the input - that for sure is important - but in doing so, how about showing a little respect and gratitude for these people, their time, effort and their hard work. They are doing a bang up job.

No doubt. I'm 100% with you on that. Respect and gratitude is #1.

I watched some of your games while you were here. That one OT game in Lex was awesome! Cheers.

fixcraft.net

Thank that fat, black lesbian in the sky for this shout out. Thanks to all reps and organizers. It is a thankless job and you have been doing a shit tonne. The biggest thanks goes to BenBamma who has put up with so much shit from people in the community and has kept trucking along. I love you so much it hurts Ben. Let the sarcastic comments about my love for Ben begin...

If you love ben so much, does that mean you're gay?

P.S. x2 thanks to everyone. I'm sure this will all work out just peachy. Ben, all your responses have always been very explicit and well-conveyed. Your PR is off the chain.

fixcraft.net

X3

See Lewis, you're right!

Ben, please be more explicit.

Oh Jesus... thanks for the input, cocksucker.

FALLACY ALERT: APPEAL TO EMOTIONS
wah wah wah, they try so hard so that automatically lends them credibility. wah wah wah do it better yourself. wah wah wah i'm a big 'ole baby.

OMG YOU LIVED IN THE U.S. FOR FIVE WHOLE MONTHS?!?! SOME WOULD CALL THAT "VISITING" THE US FOR FIVE WHOLE MONTHS! I DISAGREE WITH YOUR LANGUAGE, IT OFFENDS ME, PUSSY!

You wanna impress me Stevie, take the wheel. Eddie Murphy, look him up. The last thing I want to read is some shackle-dragging ABC, dumping his bleeding heart all over the forums because some dude said "gay." Thank you language police. Gay. Who cares? I say nigga and it sends Dillman into convulsions. Who cares? Lots of people have put in hard work for this. Who cares? Some people have a problem with the way it's setup. Who cares? You're getting your papers together to move to the Canada. Who cares? Jared "Hobo Life" Furies and Jason have unpopular opinions. Who cares? Jared "Holyfield" Baize punched Cardinal in the face--a lot. Who cares? The Black Jesus is coming. Who cares?

This is going to happen the way it's going to happen whether or not any of you like it. If you don't like it, don't come. If you don't come. WHO CARES?!

Did I say I lived in the US? No. I said as much.

And no, this is going to happen the way the people who are willing to put the time and effort into it make it happen. If you dont come, I'm pretty sure no one will care.

buildingbridgesburning wrote:

And no, this is going to happen the way the people who are willing to put the time and effort into it make it happen.

That's what I said... booty traps.

buildingbridgesburning wrote:

If you dont come, I'm pretty sure no one will care.

I'm pretty sure you've never met me. I'm also pretty sure if you had you'd know how full of shit you are. I'm a pleasure to be around. I'm fun, funny and really, really nice. You seem boring and mean... leave me alone.

x2 on goonies references!

Daniel NOLA for commissioner 2012. His IQ probably trumps every mother fucker on this forum. All you little politically correct hypocrits can suck a dick sucker a mother fuckin dick. You can cry all day long about the "improper use of the word gay". In the end, you're full of shit and your boat leaks like a sieve. The system does not work, our "whining" on the forum is our input. We were not elected to the high college of all you "cool kids" in the driver's seat of running things around here.

www.burrobags.com

Just want to draw more attention to y'all who like to draw atenttion

And say that there are many ways to communicate any idea. A lot of them are positive. My estimation is that the "cool kids" you refer to are relative masters of the high art of ignoring negative shit ... they can get the the good ideas that occasionally accompany big verbal turds, and share that good part leaving shit where it landed. ;)

Devin (not an artist)

--
Credo quia absurdum

Conversely, you failed to highlight the distinct possibility that these so called "negative people," encode their message, purposefully, in these "verbal turds" because theyve figured out how these "relative masters" will decode the message and what exactly they'll take from it, in turn forwarding--ever so slowly--the agenda of the "negative people."

Oh noez, which hypothesis is it!?!?

Then again, what do I know, you're the smart one, like Stephan Hawking but without the cool voice or in-depth knowledge of quantum systems. You can do the math on that one, I'm sure.

Jared, WHO CARES?!

Would I have done it a little different, yes... but WHO CARES? Would you have? Obviously. WHO CARES?!

This system is fine for this round. 25% out of region teams is completely reasonable, all things considered. Even though it's a really stupid argument to say, "OH SO AND SO WORKS SO HARD, SO THAT MEANS EVERYTHING IS EXCUSED. DO BETTER YOURSELF," just pretend that gay aussie and the rest of the fanbois didn't say that, because otherwise the system seems to be built on some good reasoning; you can only fault them so much because they don't know how to argue. Just let it ride. You and FUCK LIFE will go and have fun, no matter what, and that's what matters ultimately.

Peazzze.

Respect.

www.burrobags.com

DanielNOLA wrote:

Peazzze.

Oxymoron? Or mood swing. WHo cares.

Peace.

--
Credo quia absurdum

Funny jokes only, Hawking. FUNNY. JOKES. ONLY.

smooch, carnalito.

--
Credo quia absurdum

come on, man. the last time you called me that was over a month ago, and it wasn't even that funny then. it was originally a little funny because that mexican guy said it and anyone who speaks spanish knows -ito is diminutive and he played off the fact i called him 'carnal'--it was his joke. you can't "last word" post on me with something that wasn't really funny to begin with--and you didn't think of yourself. an unwinning combination. most people don't even remember that exchange, unlike the hawking thing where you can just read the thread and see the original ribbing and then a few posts later where i shut you down with another reference to the earlier post. you've got a lot to learn, but i don't think it's hopeless.

always rember, devin: "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Did you notice the crafty clip edits?

I think you're funny Daniel.

Devin

--
Credo quia absurdum

nedderweevil wrote:

Did you notice the crafty clip edits?

no. try harder.

nedderweevil wrote:

I think you're funny Daniel.

duh.

disrupting the emotional equilibrium since 1979.

Pretty quiet there till Daniel paved the way for the ol' Emotion Train. Just holdin' yer tongue till Daniel did what Daniel does to save you from being the first one to stick his neck out? Oh bother....

Daniel, I'm gay for you too.

COME ON GUYS, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ABONG!? LOLZ 420 CHEECH MANY CLOUD OF SMOKE DON'T GIMMIE NO BAMMER DUTCH MASTER PUFF PUFF PASS!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!

Just a heads up, your phone pocket dials me a couple times a month.

My dick's got a mind of it's own.

(but really, yeah, sorry bout dat. sensitive iphone)

BIG MEECH

your dick? all alone

your dick?

-no bone, like foam, never moan, all alone, ain't never wanna clone
-gotta stick for a dick, need a pick, to flick, to feel like steel, eat meals, no eels swimmin in your sea
-need a fee, to stick your wee little pee inside of her va gee

blah blah

eat shit
die
resurrect
repeat

^ This guy for Commissioner for 2012.
Clearly he knows how to get shit done.

frazer wrote:

with newer folks being pushed out and discouraged by accommodations to the traveling poloistas and yet still no widespread respect or credibility within the sporting community. Shits mad gay. Maybe resolved by 2012? Who knows.

new people are called "rookies" they have to learn the game, get a bike that doesn't break every time they get on the court, learn to pass instead of driving up the middle of the court and shooting from the "blue" line everytime they get the ball, they have to get roughed up a bit by some midwest teams, etc....

I understand wanting new people to play and I'm one of the biggest proponents locally to try to get new people to play. BUT that doesn't mean a person with about 3-4 months of playing time should be able to compete in the NA's or even their own regional qualifier. THESE ARE THE PREMIER EVENTS OF THE SEASON . and should by definition not allow everyone who bought a mallet online and took the derailleur off their older brothers mtn bike while he's away at college to play in the premier events of the season.

x2

people gotsta pay their dues, and i think the temporary qualifying structure we now have in place is a good compromise between "pushing out newer folks" and pushing out good teams in stacked regions. is the best team in the south better than the 9th best team in cascadia? i don't know, but between the wildcard tourney and the 75/25 clause i think any team that deserves to compete at NAs will be able to find a way in.

big ups to NAH.

THIS!!!

Jake I agree about having to pay your dues and put in your time. But I had only been playing for 2 weeks when I played in the NAs in Seattle. Myself and Cody Riggs. It was good for us. We got those Midwest elbows early, and learned the level of "too serious" that some players have.

I worry that with these tournaments getting capped because of size and filling quickly with A teams, when will the rookies get their chance? How do we make sure that the rookies get to see those epic final games and meet the people that make this sport great? How do we make sure our newbies get "buffered" properly. We aren't likely to do it to them in Seattle. I had never felt intentional contact on my bike til that weekend. It was a lesson that made me a LOT stronger and better player.

Just tossing a personal concern and observation out there. I know its not really the main concern right now.

x2

Could pre-championship wild-cards be restricted to swiss-rounds only. Maybe for a first day wild-card this could save some time, allow for rankings and give more players the chance to experience the higher level of play that comes with a championship competition? I think good software like Vince's would make this easier. I guess the downside would be the extra work for the organizing club with the extra registrations and additional day of tournament play. I don't know, has anybody tried it like this?

frazer if you believe in this keeping it regional thing then why go to little rock?

i wanna see my friends and support the lil rock club. if i qualify for anything there (not likely) I'll gladly forgo my spot in NAs.

knew that what i was sayin wasn't gonna change the rules this year. sometimes you just gotta be heard

what a nightmare

I wish everyone would just give this new system of tournaments a chance before they dismiss it. After all, it is a work in progress and it will continue to change as the sport progresses. We all knew this day would eventually come due to the outstanding growth and enthusiasm of the sport. The NAH governing body has done so much and we should be much more appreciative, in my opinion. I personally know Ben(bama) does a lot for the sport (and others as well) and he pretty much lives and breathes bike polo. The 75/25 thing does kind of skew things, but isn't the point of NA's to showcase the very best talent we have in NA? If people have money/talent to travel to tournaments out of their region to qualify for NA's, then more power to them.

Midwest is best!!

x2

all hail the "system"...loosely based on the uci i suspect... Ben, you are so diplomatic i love it!

Portland United
www.eighthinch.com

Decisions are made by those that show up.
More power to the elected reps.

doesn't mean we can't voice our gripes though.
I'd go for a more proportional system of representation. In one of the threads, a local member said they might not be able to put together a full roster of 48 quality teams. Seattle could say the word and have 48 teams on their doorstep tomorrow.

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

I'm repping Cascadia well... I proposed this, but we deemed it too complicated this year with the individual/team qualifying issues. For now we needed something easy and understandable. Changes will happen. So keep putting your thoughts out there. We actually ARE listening.

To expand on a more proportional system I imagine it going something like this.

With the 75/25% rule this year, North Americans should be made up of a very good representation of each region. This fact would allow for a proportional system in subsequent years. With equal representation this year, complete standings that include every team that makes it into the actual North American tournament should be recorded and kept, then points awarded to each player on the team. These player specific points are credited to the region

ex.
-There are 60 teams that actually compete and place in NAHBPC
-1st place is a team composed of 2 players from the Midwest and 1 from the Southeast
- This would give the Midwest 120 points and the Southeast 60

Now do this all the way down until you dish out the 1 point apiece to the 60th place team.

Then find the percentage of points each region has. Say the total amount of points is 2400. If Cascadia got 600 points, they would be allowed 25% percent of the qualifying spots instead of the roughly 16% for each region with this years set up.

Of course there would need to be a minimum amount of slots each region gets. Maybe 10%. So even if your region only got 8% of the points it would still be awarded 10% of the slots for the next year, with the rest being redistributed.

A proportional system like this is the only way to accurately represent the best polo players in the country, not just the best players in respective regions, without forcing cash strapped and un-sponsored players to travel out of region just because the competition is stiffer. This way it's up to each region and it's players to make their presence felt at North Americans.

SHO'NUFF

Nice. There's been a bunch of talk about a points system in the future, including a system for players (but not one dependent on traveling and racking up points at tournaments).

The goal is to have our 2012 system figured out before NAHBPC 2011, in case we want to use something like what you're suggesting that depends on results from 2011.

regional bench matches to decide the ratio of NA spots allotted to each region?

to one and all my Grandfathers full name was Philip Gay Wilson and he was a hell of a guy. Everytime someone says gay i think of him, And to all of you who are laughing at this coz of the innuendo ......so am i.
Thanx Polo reps and those who care enough to comment on the processes takin place

QUESTION................If i am a member of a club from a said region do i qualify for the qualifier as being from said region

qualitatively, I think you just qualify for the qualifier machine from where you're from.

--
Credo quia absurdum

Not sure if I'm understanding what your question is. I'll take a stab.

If you're speaking in terms of registering for a qualifier, you're qualified to register under the 75% clause and would be considered an in-region team.

If you're speaking in terms of qualifying for the NA's at one of the 7 qualifying tournaments (landing in the top 8 at the end), it doesn't matter what club or region you are from as long as you're from somewhere in North America.

Adding a general comment, I've found the word "regional" paints a picture of a closed tournament in a region. That context of the word, though sometimes valid, wasn't intended to be and shouldn't be applied to the guidelines we posted here. The intended translation for our context is "a location somewhere near you". These tournaments are open. We've just made sure there are more teams attending from the host region than from beyond.

I know it's 2 late 2 do anything about it now, but why is it that our Regional Qualifier (SW)
is restricted to 32 teams while the rest of the regions have up to 48 teams?

Lefty Bullshit!

I'm pretty sure it is because your tournament organizers chose it to be that way. I haven't read anywhere that NAH dictated the amount of teams allowed at each qualifier.

fixcraft.net

the dictation was 32 as a minimum

I'm not sure, but I think that is just due to the number of teams the host city can accomodate with the courts they have. If you throw a 48 team tourney on one court you better hand out headlamps with registration, and hope people are good at playing in the dark. (or ask them to take the week off work)

Save the date!!!

the 2011 Midwestern Championships - May 21-22nd in Bloomington, IND

Complete details coming soon...

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fixcraft.net

Yay!! May 2011 is going to be the best month ever!!

Midwest is best!!

Right on. I've been looking forward to this news.

Efffff yesssss.

hopefully there's room for some Northsiders...mark it.

damn i was hoping for the 14th/15th. oh well gives me one more week to prepare :)

May 14/15th is the last week of school for a lot of people and being a college town I'm sure Bloomington will be a lot emptier the following week.

sorry jake, we were trying for that date to make it two weeks between slayerfest but there were a couple conflicts, whereas the 21-22 is wide open.

no worries is was purely selfish reason i preffered the 14/15. we'll still be there.

There.

Any chance on making registration sooner rather than later? As in a lot sooner than 30 days out. Makes planning getting there a lot easier, and cheaper.

Hopefully, Phoenix is the anomaly and registration will happen much earlier for the following qualifiers. For example, I'm working with South Central right now for registration to start in a couple weeks. I plan to do the same for the midwest qualifier.

Registration will be at least 60 days in advance. I'd guess no sooner than 90 though.

the best news ever. cause i found out i could not do the weekend after due to a conference at work. ..

New thread please?

coffee, whiskey, beer. repeat.

Registration for Tour Qualifier #3: NAH 2011 South Central Bike Polo Championship begins Friday January 28th at noon CST. The link to registration will appear in the Calendar section at the top of this thread in the near future.

mmm I'm thinkin' I might have to head out there for this one. I hear speak of an Oly/Mke match? Something about a keg if we win :) Welp, free keg I guess

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't sinning, Jesus died for nothing.

I got 99 bitches, one ain't a problem.

zach said oly wanted to match up against denver during the e.van crown, how about showing up to south central with an oly team in order to face off against denver?

maybe when Zack comes back from Costa Rica we can arrange something. As for the OLY/MKE game I just think it would be fun. I know how those boys like to play rough. I don't know anything about any free kegs. But if you want to buy us one Mark that would be sweet!

I'll be back the end of february...

Stoked for a Denver Oly matchup.

Excited for MKE also, I know it's going to be brutal.

Thanks for stirring up the hornet's nest for us, Muffin and Mark.

there will be no oly / mke match. Why do you 'know' playing an mke team would be brutal?

In case you didn't know, you guys have a reputation for playing physically. We do our best and know you do too, nahmean?

And how do you know there will be no mke/oly match? See you at NA/Worlds/maybe even Bloomington

Just have a feeling, I guess.

Nanaimo's got yo back

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

That's why we love you Nanaimo..

ah...international bro-mances...

it's true. Gotta love em.

The Oly/Nanaimo alliance is strong and will be mutually beneficial for aeons to come. Plus, they're all just so damn sexy. <3 you Nanaimo

Idk who set up this oly/mke match, but oly should submit a team for slayerfest and meet us in mke memorial day weekend. You are gonna be glad kegs are cheap here shen you lose

me either? It was more of an open invite for fun. We've never played any midwest teams, but would love to. Slayerfest sounds like it would be dope. We'll def try and make it out for that. I'm a broke ass mofo, but I'll start saving up some dough. I love cheap kegs, I sure do love me some beer. How cheap is the herb out there?

Yeah, Muffin said something about something about keg and then I got excited at the prospect of beer. I'm definitely excited to get out there and play some midwestern polo. Stiven, the MW championship is in Bloomington, is that anywhere near your family? Tickets out there are 279 right now, I wanna goooooooo....

It sure is! it's about 40 mins west of where my mom lives. So it would be pretty easy to get there. I'm sure she would be stoked to see me too.

capt. jake wrote:

Idk who set up this oly/mke match

I think muffin and bri did.

If Team Gravy Pants successfully franchises out, we will win in all 7 regional qualifiers and thus
eliminate 6 other teams before even reaching NA's!!! Yay, thinning the Herd!
Papa Gravy and the Whiskey Kidz are gonna Learn Ya!

Lefty Bullshit!

does european teams fits in the 25 % ? i heard you guys want to invade our country for euro...
some think that Ehbpc and NAhbpc should stay separate. the main point is that world would be useless then.
anyway i'm amazed by all this oraganization, i hope european body takes notes.

it would make sense to me that if a european team wanted to qualify for nahbpc they would have to qualify at one of the 7 regional tournaments under the 25% allotment of out of region teams. unless i missed the rule explicitly stating that only na residents can participate.

Not discussed. We did not anticipate Euros wanting to come play in NA regionals or championship.

The regionals are likely to fill up fast. Maybe there will be room in Calgary's Wildcard for Euro teams. For the most part we want to say yes come play polo with us, but obviously there is pressure to be more rigid about the structure.

Perhaps we could take this up case-by-case. Any Euro team could talk to the tourney organizer & Mike T about available spots, assuming we're talking about one or two teams.

please don't bother euro's...we don't need anymore filler in already packed tournaments...this is "NA" hcbp. we have enough kids spending there parents hard earned cash running around from tourny after tourny. then with expectations dashed they turn to LOBP to vent their "well i didn't play that many games"...and "i traveled all that way" bullshit.. this system is in place to help dumbass stay at home and spend more time developing fundamentals of polo before traveling extensively...some of us want serious fun so let us have it...we are not taking away your sacred pick up nights or your friendly throw in tournaments...that's where the real sloppy fun happens! let it stay there...some of you nay sayers need to get a grip...you are wearing a leotard rubbing on the "puffin' with you skinny almost naked body at a tournament, then calling out hard working folks jut trying to help us all get good game...i am suggesting we have respect for all sides of polo...there is something for everyone...just not everyone all the time...
a big thanks to all the hard work going into this governing body
i am partial to national champs and world champs getting royal treatment at tournaments like free entry or even an appearence fee paid to them. jerseys to be worn all year. and what not...they have paid there dues so let them have glory a whole year leading up to the championships.
also would like to see a points series if these are truly 'open tournament" so we can get a picture of who is crushing it
the BOP is ready to work with the NAHCP governing body...for fair treatment of players.
just some thoughts peeps thanks for reading...like KOOL KEITH says "don't hate just relate"

Portland United
www.eighthinch.com

AGUILA wrote:

you are wearing a leotard rubbing on the "puffin' with you skinny almost naked body at a tournament, then calling out hard working folks jut trying to help us all get good game..."

Ahahahahaha

a classic example, eh?

I later found out that apparently some people think it's uncanny how similar Muffin and I look.

I thought you and I were teammates for weeks.

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

Bloomington lets expand it past 48 teams. The midwest in KY filled up fast without it being a Qualifying Tournament. We have a high volume of polo players in our communities. Just asking? Lee

+1
xCascadia
_________

2007 - King of The Juice
2010 - LEFTY MAGIC

It was originally planned as a 32 team tournament then expanded to 48. Space at the location is limited (3 courts max) so bumping it up to 64 teams is very, very unlikely.

I know it's first-come-first-serve but i'd personally prefer quality over quantity... especially since this is the midwestern championship.

zach-bloomington wrote:

I know it's first-come-first-serve but i'd personally prefer quality over quantity... especially since this is the midwestern championship.

+1, We know a lot of you haven't been to our small, but great town. We want you to really have a good Bloomington time, cause there ain't much like it.

small town hospitality ftw!

I don't think we should stress expanding the teams to accommodate as many teams as possible. All that does, effectively, is stress the situation and spread the host cities even thinner in terms of their resources and perhaps already existing limitations. The organizers in the cities already have a pretty good idea of how many teams they can feasibly accommodate, and with adding teams you potentially have to add courts, or timeframe, or days, or food, etc... and that means more expense and effort for everyone involved. If players are serious about competing in these qualifier tournaments, then they should be serious enough to plan ahead, stay informed, and stay on top of when the registrations open up so they can get in.

Speaking of the Midwest Open, the whole point of that tournament was to try to help spread a bit of the tournament action out a bit, in anticipation of the shift towards these regional qualifying tournaments. There are so many potential teams from especially the Midwest region (perhaps a reason why we've always had two Midwest tournaments in the past), that it just makes sense to have one be a qualifier, and one be just a big, fun open. So, I would hope that another city in the Midwest would pick up that torch and agree to host another Midwest Open in the Fall of 2011. Any takers?

{}------- lexington -------{}

just a bit of history for ya- there are two midwests because after the first one in madison in the fall of fuck '05 or was it '06? help here....

anyway we figured waiting until the next fall was too long and at that time there weren't tournaments every weekend to play in

November 2006

kev wrote:

November 2006

if the 2nd Midwests were the ones held in Chicago (early 2007), then that was the first appearance of a very young and green Lexington Bike Polo

{}------- lexington -------{}

lexington!

Thanks for that, Kev.

yup killer photo with a meg cameo in the background!

yes.

i am proud to were this hat

• 155878_482882178728_699073728_5551071_3491839_n.jpg

jared in east van last summer you were so happy when i gave you my ipod

• canvas.png

BAORDZZZZ FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOLDDDDDD!

I want to meet you Dan. Your almost like the new age Ben.

hes something alright. likes to tear it up on the forms for sure, but i aint complainin

Get rad

i'm nothing special. maybe ben's like a new age me. oh shit... minds are exploding all over the world.

He is telling the truth, he is not special!!

ben was more funny. he was on this forum before you Daniel that's why you were referred to as new age ben. at the risk of starting some sort of internet trash war with you
ben > daniel

I know, Harriot... I know... I was being facetious. *sigh*

At the risk of confusing you:

jake ≪ daniel ≤ ben

yotta-ta mean?

creating laughs in bike polo for 23*10^-1 years

facetiousness and sarcasm are very hard to convey through words on the internet daniel. please use more words surrounded by *s and emoticons

sorry for confusing you, jake.

• how-to-tell-if-someone-is-being-sarcastic.gif

Thats a great!! good work Daniel!!

Anyone know what's up with the north side tournament?

Revised North American’s & Wild Card Tournament information.
NAHBPC Qualification and Registration:
• Players placing in the top 8 teams at each qualifier can register immediately for NAHBPC. Players are not required to stay on the team they qualified with. A team registering for NAHBPC must have at least two players that placed in the top 8 at one NAH qualifier.

• Players placing in the top 9-12 of teams at each qualifier can register immediately for the NAHBPC Wildcard tourney. Players can mix teams around, but at least two players registering on a team need to have been on a team placing in the top 12 at one qualifier.

• Official qualifiers results will be published by NAH.

• All qualified registration must occur before July 15th at 12 noon MST.

• Any unclaimed wildcard spots will be made available online for all to register at 12 noon MST on July 18th. No qualification is required for this very limited number of spots. If the Wild Card tourney is guaranteed to fill we will be excepting accepting 10 more teams to register. Closer to the date we will announce the number of open positions.
• The number of wildcard teams advancing to the championship tournament will be determined shortly after the close of qualified registration (July 15th at 12 noon MST).
Wildcard Tourney:

• One day Swiss Rounds tourney with 32 - 42 teams.
• The number of spots advancing is equal to 64 minus the number of qualified teams that have registered for the NAHBPC. As an example, the top 8 wildcard spots will advance if 56 teams register for the NAHBPC.

For registration please go to www.2011nahbpc.org. Registration will be open for the Monday after the Tempe tournament. If you are having any problems with it please email calgarybikepolo@hotmail.ca, state your issue and a number or email address that we can get back to you at.

When registering:
When each regional tournament is finished, a list of eligible teams will be posted
on the 2011nahbpc.org registration page. If your team qualified for The North Americans you will register by selecting the NA’s registration Button. If you qualified for the Wild Card tournament you will select the Wild Card registration button. When you register there will be a text box for your team name and another text box for all 3 players names and cities will be required. The qualifying teams and player’s names will be sent directly from the NAH.
Please!! Make sure that your team has qualified before registering or you may not get a full refund. Your money will be returned but you will be responsible for the refund charge.

every bone in my body says.... REFUND CHARGE?!?!??!

I guess that means we shouldn't register unless we're absolutely sure...

we are using Paypal for registering. You can refund paypal transfers, but there is a small fee by paypal for this. Don't think we should have to pay for someone changing their mind....It's only a few cents....don't get all excited.

how is this different from the rules that I already read? i'm too lazy to go line-by-line comparing the two.

post the differences in red or something if they're going to change in the middle of everything.

If paypal charges anything for refunds the people who register knowingly that they did not qualify then they can pay for the refund if they end up charging one. Who ever is eligible their name will be on the list so all you have to do is look at the list before you register, it is really not that hard as long as you can read your own name?

D where is your question directed to?

you... are these rules different than the rules posted originally?

There is no change in rules. There is a change in registration. I was letting people that registration will be done through us in Calgary and instead of 12 noon EST it will be 12 noon MST. And we may also make the wild card tournament a bit bigger if the interest is there.

word. rules... registration rules... same thing... there were just a lot of words and I don't read so good so I was wondering what was different that what was poste above. anyway... carry on.

It's all good buddy I will explain it to you when I get down there in a couple weeks!!

So 8 teams from 7 regions will qualify = teams 56. So what happens if a team qualify twice will the 9 place team get to register for the NA's and the 13 team be able to register for the wild card tourney? May be a dumb question but It will happen there will be over lapping.

Didn't someone from NAH state somewhere that this would just open more spots from the Wild Card to advance? I thought that was how this was being dealt with.

Correct.

REMINDER: Registration for Tour Stop #2: The South Central Bike Polo Championship begins today at noon CST

Registration is here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFh6Z19iTm0ya3JLb...

Tour stop #1, Desert Polo Invite III, successfully completed. Here are the places along with the people who have earned a spot to the NA's and NA Wildcard.

Top 8 teams and NA Championship qualifiers:
1st - Valleros (LA) - Joker, Pistolero, Too $hort
2nd - Whachadoobin (SEA) - Seabass, Julian, Polony
3rd - Oddballs (SEA) - Leon Ettelson, Drew Gochenaur, Mike Bell
4th - Grass Assault (PHX) - Michael Boyd, Jacob Boyd, AJ Maldonado
5th - Woadie's Team (NY/PDX/BOS) - Chris Roberts, Jason Stevenson, Johan Ramirez
5th - Loose Scruz (SCRZ) - Andrew Weyland, Jon Westdahl, Morgan
7th - Badfingers (SF) - Ben Smith, Ben Caldwell, Jeremiah Goodwin
7th - Jack Move (LA) - Eli, Brian, Jeremy (no love)

9th place and eligible to register for the NA Wildcard Tourney:
9th - Tent City Tramps (PHX) - Davy Carfax, Julio Castro, Justin (hotrod)
9th - Cheap Shots (DEN) - Jared Rader, Kelli Jurewicz, Jeff Cleary
9th - Team Priapism (SF) - Susan Dabbles, Kim Beson, Eric Bloomquist
9th - Sack Up and Play (SD) - Mike Maverick, Josh Pawelek, Machine

Congratulations to the NA championship and wildcard qualifiers! You've secured your place at the NA's.

So what are the chances that each of the region that have not yet announced their regional tournament location and date by the mid or end of February so that people can plan their vacation dates. Also by not having regional tournament dates out yet I think lots of clubs are holding off on announcing there local tournaments? There are still 4 regionals that are TBA, what are some of the hold ups people are having? Maybe if they are raised people will be able to help out a little more.

Agreed. I know Cascadia is days away from a decision. Savannah is coming up soon though. This should be posted ASAP and they have let the poloverse know the problems they are having (courts) but still nothing. KEV: Can we make this thread a sticky?

just check the http://leagueofbikepolo.com/nah page for updates, it contains all the NAH relevant threads, and news about these regional tournaments is coming together in a few places (also in each region's page). i'm sensing that we'll know everything in a week or two here. i hope so anyway.

I think it would be nice if in the tournament listings the NAH qualifiers were shown with something a little more noticeable than just that little badge on the tourney poster.....

I'd like to see NA's remain for 2012 but also have national championships.

I'll put in a bid for Edmonton to host it if we could have a year to plan. I want to see who the top Canadian team is

"but also have national championships ... I want to see who the top Canadian team is"
Would people with dual citizenship allowed to play? What about residnecy? Or even long-term illegal immigrants?
I'm not asking with regard to anyone in particular, just wondering...

bottles started a new thread about this: http://leagueofbikepolo.com/forum/tournaments/2011/02/11/national-champi...

Yah that is a good idea bottles!!

An excellent idea.

New thread: http://leagueofbikepolo.com/forum/tournaments/2011/01/07/na-hardcourt-20...